Thursday, July 1, 2010

Episode 9: Hook, Line, and Sinker

MAY 3, 2010
ARC CENTER
VALPARAISO, INDIANA
11:45 PM LOCAL TIME

With a sigh, Wendy Briese-Thompson finished folding up her ring costume, and stuffed it into her duffel bag. She stared at the black sleeveless top and the long pair of tights for a second, then threw the fingerless black gloves on top of them, stuffed in her ankle-high boots, and zipped up the bag.

Tonight had just been too darn difficult.

The prospect of facing her own husband in a match had been daunting enough, but to throw in Mandrake's sudden appearance and interference, and her decision to partner with that monster at Tag Wars...

And to top it all off, she had suffered her first loss since her return. She was out of the tournament, and remained titleless.

At least she was getting a chance at redemption next week. Terrence may have bested her tonight, but if she could beat Noah Hanson, the same man who had bested her husband three weeks ago...

But all that remained tonight was to get out of here, and get some sleep. She was exhausted.

Wendy walked to the locker, and opened the door. She grabbed her windbreaker, and put it on, then made to grab her motorcycle helmet...

It was gone.

Wendy blinked, again casting a glance over the entire metal cabinet. It was completely empty. Wendy glanced around the room. Sparsely furnished, with just the locker, a table, and a couple folding chairs, there wasn't any place for the helmet to hide.

So where was it?

Rushing back to the table, Wendy unzipped her bag, looking inside. Nothing but her ring gear. Growing frantic, Wendy looked on top of the table, under it... the corners?

She knew she had brought it... where did it go?

The door creaked open, and Terrence Thompson poked his head inside. "You almost done, Wendy? Security's getting impatient."

Wendy didn't look towards the door, her eyes scanning the room for the dozenth time. "I can't find my bike helmet."

Terrence blinked, and then shrugged. "Are you sure you brought it?"

"Yes, I'm sure!" Wendy snapped in irritation. "I put it in the locker and..."

"Hon, I'm sorry, but we need to go."

"Terry, I'm not leaving without that helmet!"

"Its not up to me, Wendy." Terrence declared defensively. "There's four guys out here, and they all have guns."

"But..." Wendy tried to protest. She was now certain the helmet was not here, but where was it?

"Look," Terrence said. "We'll come back first thing tomorrow and see if anyone found it, but right now, I have six armed security guards telling me we need to leave, and I think arguing is a bad idea."

"Six?" Wendy said, looking at her husband for the first time. "You said four earlier."

"Two more just walked up."

"Fine!" Wendy snapped angrily as she slammed the locker shut. "I'm coming. But we're coming back first thing tomorrow."

She looked around the room one more time, and stamped her foot in frustration. Then, spinning on her heel, she walked out of the room.


================
MAY 4, 2010
THE NEST
INDIANAPOLIS, INDIANA
3:21 PM LOCAL TIME

"Terry, I can't find it anywhere!"

Terrence Thompson leaned against the wall, watched his wife rummage through the coat closet, and tried to hide his frustration. They hadn't been home for more than three hours, and already Wendy had torn up half the house, looking for that stupid bike helmet.

"Just go buy a new one," he finally implored.

Immediately, Terrence realized that may have not be the best thing to say, given that Wendy had fixed her infamous armor piercing glare upon him.

"I don't WANT to buy a new helmet! I WANT that one! It has..." she paused, then exhaled in a puff. "Ooh, you wouldn't understand!"

"Understand what?" Terrence asked, but Wendy merely brushed by him without a word, and climbed the stairs. "Where are you going?"

"I haven't checked the upstairs linen closet yet!"

"Why the hell would your bike helmet be there?"

Wendy spun around, already halfway up the stairs. "Okay then, Terry, where is it?" When Terrence didn't reply, she sniffed, turned around, and continued up the stairs.

Terrence watched her go and shook his head. She really was pissed about losing to him, and this was her revenge, right?

"Look on the bright side, dude." Came a voice from the living room. "Twenty years tops, and she'll be through menopause, and things will be quiet around here."

"Thanks, Dan." Terrence replied sarcastically, as he walked into the living room. "What the hell are you doing in my easy chair? Get out!"

Daniel Pollaski unreclined the chair, and looked at Terrence in indignation. "I nearly suffer a broken neck trying to save your life, and this is the thanks I get?" To emphasize his point, he tapped the neck brace he was now wearing.

"You have a pinched nerve." Terrence responded. "The doctor says you don't even need to be wearing that thing. And as far as 'saving my life' goes, next time, try something a little more effective than a miniature baseball bat."

Theresa came bounding into the room making for the couch, but stopped as Terrence fixed his stern paternal gaze upon her. "Did you pick up your legos in the kitchen?"

Theresa didn't even respond, just scurried away to put away her toys.

"I just wish he hadn't thrown the bat into the crowd. I liked that bat. Ah well, I'll buy a new one."

"Thank you!" Terrence responded. "If you lose it, buy a new one. It makes sense!"

"Well, it's not the same, dude. That bat has absolutely no sentimental value to me. Wendy's helmet... well... does."

"Sentimental value?" Terrence was confused. "Whachoo talkin' bout, Pollaski?"

"That helmet is the only thing of Rick's that Wendy has. He gave it to her so he could take her on a motorcycle ride. Now that the guy's dead..."

"Ugh, Rick again. Can't we all freaking move on from this?"

Pollaski stared at Terrence for a few seconds, and an evil grin spread across his face. "Holy shit... you're jealous."

"Am not!"

"You so are too! You're jealous of a fucking dead guy!" Pollaski crowed.

Terrence's eyes narrowed. "Get out of my chair."

Pollaski opened his mouth to respond, but a sharp knocking at the door cut him off.

"Who could that be?" Terrence asked, heading towards the door.

"You ever notice how one of us always asks that whenever we hear a knock?" Pollaski asked.

Terrence didn't reply, just walked to the front door. From the sound of things, Pollaski realized he was accepting a delivery of some sort.

Wendy came back down the stairs as Terrence returned with an overnight envelope from Federal Express in his hands. "Who was that?" She asked.

"Package for you," Terrence said, holding up the envelope. "Don't get your hopes up, it too small to hold a helmet."

"Thank's, Terry." Wendy snapped, as she grabbed the envelope. She ripped it open, and pulled out another smaller envelope. This one looked old... as if a carryover from medieval times. Her name was scrawled out in a beautifully callipgraphed script. "Its from Mandrake!" She exclaimed in surprise, confirming her suspicion by turning the letter over and inspecting the seal- black with a large black M stamped into it.

"Oh, good," Terrence muttered. "Today just keeps getting better."

Ignoring her husband's sarcasm, Wendy opened the envelope, and was surprised to see not just a letter, but several other items, including a photograph. She ignored these, however, and unfolded the letter, written in calligraphy on a single sheet of aged vellum.

"Hasn't Victor ever heard of a computer?" Terrence asked.

"Its his style, I guess," Wendy murmered.

"Besides, handwriting letters just give them that personal touch." Pollaski looked over at Terrence with a smirk. "You're not JEALOUS, are you?"

Terrence gave his manager a look that clearly suggested his life might be coming to an end.

Wendy ignored all this, but began to read the letter aloud.



My Dearest Wendy -

I'm writing this letter to you for the purposes of coordinating a week-long training session in order to prepare ourselves for the tournament on Tag Wars III. Now, I know that you'll either want to train somewhere in Indiana or in a neutral location. I regret to inform you that this will not be a possibility since I absolutely, one-hundred percent insist on us training here, at Castle Mandrake.

Wendy scoffed. "Train, at his castle? The brazen arrogance!"


Now, I realize that you're most likely scoffing at my brazen arrogance of even suggesting your presence at the castle, considering our history, but hear me out.

"He called that one," Pollaski whistled, obviously impressed.

First and foremost, we are up against formidable opponents, in particular, Team Danger* and The Untouchables. All four of these men are accomplished in not only tag wrestling, but singles competition as well, and have each solidified their skills over the years, whether in this alliance or another. Their trophy cases are large for a good reason, and they are not to be taken lightly. We cannot defeat them if we remain as divided as we are. We must unite as a team, as a singular cohesive unit, and if you cannot reconcile your differences with me on a personal level, perhaps you'll be able to on a professional one in order to deal a serious setback to Eric Dane and Defiance's agendas. Not to mention, we would be World Tag Team Champions on top of that, so the scenario is decidedly win-win. Here at the castle, you'll be able to train and focus on a level that you haven't been able to for a myriad of reasons; whether that be your role as a mother, a wife, or your manager's inability to do his job in providing a quality training experience free from distractions.

“He does have a point there,” Terrence said to the no-longer impressed Pollaski.

“That wasn’t my fault!”

“Shhh!” Wendy snapped, and read on.

Secondly, to reassure you that you will be able to leave of your own accord and on your own terms, I give you my word that at no point during our training will I attempt to force you to stay longer than you will, nor will I force inhospitable accommodations upon you during your stay. In fact, you will find your accommodations to be more than luxurious. To further prove my honorable intent, you will find attached to this letter a detailed map on how to get to my home from either the road or from any major airport in the surrounding area. Please forward the map to Terrence. In the event that you should not return within a week, he'll be able to locate your whereabouts with much more ease than the last time.

Wendy pulled out another sheet of vellum, and handed it to her husband, who opened it up.

“How the hell do we know if this is even accurate?” Terrence asked.

Lastly, I'm sure by now you've noticed a particular item of great importance to you has gone missing: Rick's motorcycle helmet. Also attached to this letter is a photograph of said helmet. I assure you no harm has come to it. I would normally be loathe to give up such an item of tremendous power, but I consider your acceptance of training a more than fair bargain. Please accept my apologies, I wouldn't have stolen the item if I thought I could persuade you solely with logic and assurances. Unrightful ownership of an item such as this carries enough risk on it's own, but I believe the reward to be worth it.

Her eyes burning with fire, Wendy grabbed the photograph, and looked at it, seeing the picture of the beautifully designed helmet that Rick had given her.

“Well, at least you can stop looking for it,” Terrence said brightly.

Wendy shot Terrence a dark look, and turned back to the photograph. “That son of a…”

“Theresa!” Dan warned as the little girl bounded into the room, effectively cutting Wendy off.

Wendy cut herself off, turning slightly red at her loss of control. She turned back to the letter.

I look forward to you accepting my offer. We shall make our departure immediately following PWX's Adrenaline XXXI.

Yours truly,

-V.M.

“Well, that’s just wonderful” Terrence scoffed. “So nice of him to extend an invitation to go visit his little castle, but what an idiot to even think that you would be going to accept that! Sorry about your helmet though.”

Wendy didn’t respond, just continued to stare at the letter, and the photograph. Terrence saw a look in her eye that he positively did NOT like…

“Wendy, you can’t possibly be thinking of willingly going to this guy’s castle to train with him, right?”

Wendy didn’t reply, just continued to stare at the letter, her eyes having taken on a hard determined look.

Terrence tried one more time. “Right?”

Still no answer…

Uh oh…


MAY 6, 2010
THE NEST
INDIANAPOLIS, INDIANA
2:17 PM LOCAL TIME

(It’s the living room of The Nest. Wendy Briese sits alone in the room, dressed in a simple white shirt and a dark green skirt. She sits solemnly on the couch, the plain white wall of the living room providing all the backdrop she needs.)

(Wendy doesn’t look very happy, in fact, her eyes are blazing again. Then again, considering the events of the past couple of days, she probably has a right to be a little angry.)

Wendy- Well, I’ve suffered my first defeat since returning to professional wrestling… at the hands of my own husband, no less. It definitely is a humbling experience. I was hoping to put up a good showing in this tournament, but obviously I won’t be doing that with a first round bow-out.

Now, just in case anyone wasn’t paying attention last Monday… I have absolutely no problem with my husband. He put up a heck of a fight, and managed to pull out the win, and if he felt that it was going to take a Last Lap off the top rope to keep me down for the three count… then I’m honored. I’m sure it sounds silly, but I’m actually happy with that match, and the way it played out. I did my best, but things just didn’t go my way.

(Pause, as Wendy’s disappointed expression takes on a harder edge, and her eyes once again blaze with anger.)

What I’m NOT happy about, is where things have gone from there. When I found out I was facing Noah Hanson next week, I was excited. Noah Hanson is a living legend in the PWX, and has become one of the top stars in all of the CWC, holding the Hardcore Championship. He also bested my husband about a month ago, and I can assure you, that’s not an easy thing to do.

(Wendy scoffs in irritation over the snubbing she received from Hanson this week)

So you can imagine my shock and disappointment when I discovered that Noah wants to have nothing to do with me. I know what it’s like to be an interregional champion… it’s a very demanding schedule one has to deal with. And I can sympathize with the pressure that one has to deal with when an upcoming defense nears, especially against a man as talented as Allister Black.

(Whoever the hell he is)

But NEVER did I refuse to compete in my own home region because I didn’t feel my opponent was important enough to merit consideration. If you are a true champion, then you face all comers, whether or not your belt is on the line, reguardless of what you think of them.

Noah, if you wanted to postpone a potential match against me until after your defense against Allister, I would have gladly agreed. But to flat out REFUSE to compete against me, that is an insult I will not stand for. It’s a cowardly and pathetic thing to do, especially considering the honor of the CWC you carry around your waist. I myself am about to enter a tournament for the World Tag Team Championships, and yet, I was more than willing to test myself against you.

(Wendy sighs in irritation. Although she’s too nice to admit it, her opponent selection thus far of The Fallen, Mercedes Morgan, and Big Lust has been somewhat of a disappointment for her. Nevertheless she had been given her opportunity to shine last week, and she had failed to deliver. She had obviously hoped to bounceback with a big win over Noah Hanson, but that ain’t gonna be happening.)

But, unfortunately, regardless of what Noah thinks of me, any potential match with him isn’t going to be happening in the foreseeable future. Thus, I must focus on what I do have to deal with… and that me teaming with Mandrake to face Punch and Pie…

(Another head shake, given that she absolutely can’t believe what she has agreed to do here)

Now, I’m sure most of you are wondering why I would ever willingly agree to align myself with Victor Mandrake, a man who has kidnapped me and tortured me in the past. Rest assured, I have not forgotten what he’s done to me, nor am I selling out the beliefs and convictions I hold dear.

(A small grim smile)

For starters, the fact is, I do want to win the World Tag Team Championships. Not only are they one of the titles my career has revolved around throughout the years, but in doing so, I can do my part in stopping Eric Dane’s hostile takeover of the alliance.

(More angry, fiery eyes)

And I also can’t forget that night, now over a month ago, when I found myself bound, alone, in the middle of the ring, as Stephen Greer, Johnny Lightning, Jeff Andrews, and Heidi Christenson held me down and made disgusting taunts and threats. It was a humiliating and frightening experience, and not one I will soon forget. I want a chance at redemption, and if I have to use Victor Mandrake as a vehicle to accomplish that, then so be it.

And yes, in case anyone is wondering, I have agreed to Victor’s proposal to train for the tournament at his castle on the Florida panhandle. I think most people would probably think this is the dumbest, most suicidal thing I could possibly do. I’ve known Victor Mandrake for a long time, and I know that he is an evil, despicable man, who relishes in the suffering of others. I also know that Victor will probably use this time to try and manipulate me, or attempt to corrupt me in some way to further his evil designs, and I assure you, such attempts will have absolutely no effect on me.

(Or so she hopes)

But I also know that Victor, for all the horrible things he has done, has a code of honor. If he makes a vow, like he has that no harm will come to me during my stay at his home, then he will keep it. For the time being, I have to recognize that, as far as the World Wrestling Alliance goes, we are on the same side, and our opponents are too strong for us to enter this tournament divided.

(Wendy looks away sadly, knowing that, regardless of Victor’s vows, the upcoming fortnight is going to be a very difficult one.)

This is not an easy journey I make, nor will it be an enjoyable one. But I do believe it is necessary, and I hope those who feel that I’ve betrayed my convictions by allying myself with that monster can find it in their hearts to forgive me.

As for Victor, I am putting my faith in you, just as you have promised to put your faith in me. If we must walk the same path, then I will do so by your side. This will not make us friends; this will not erase the past between us. I am doing this simply because I see no other way. And I’ve already told you what will happen if any harm comes to my family as a result of our agreement. I have no intention of bringing Morrigan or your children into this, and I would appreciate it if you left mine alone as well.

(Please?)

Now, if you excuse me, I must prepare. I have a difficult journey ahead, and a very perilous road to walk.

(Wendy gets up, and walks to the camera, shutting it off, and we go to black)

No comments:

Post a Comment