Thursday, July 1, 2010

EPISODE 10: Scrabble

MAY 8, 2010
LAKESIDE RV PARK & MINIGOLF COURSE
VALPARAISO, INDIANA
5:34 PM LOCAL TIME

Thrumming his fingers on the RV’s table in irritation, Daniel Pollaski looked around the cabin of the RV. "Are you go?"

Cassie DeSlair looked up, frowning. “I'm sorry. Did this become a timed game?"

With the Adrenaline show now only two days away, the Birdz had made their return to Valpo Saturday afternoon. After finding their campsite and setting up, Terrence, Wendy and Theresa had left in Terrence's Charger for some family time. This left Pollaski and Cassie alone in the RV, left to fend for themselves.

So, of course they did what any twenty-seven year old guy and twenty-four year old gal would do when stuck in a campground for several hours.

Board game!

What else is there? Nothing!

Especially in Cassie's mind.

"Well, no..." Pollaski huffed, looking at his opponent. "But it's been your turn for ten minutes. Either you have a play, or you don't."

Cassie grabbed several tiles from her rack, and laid them on the board. "TROPHY" she declared. "The O is on a double letter, so fifteen points."

Pollaski quickly jotted down the score on a nearby notepad. "That gives you ninety-three, and I have seventy-five."

Then he smirked.

Quickly grabbing six tiles off his own rack, Pollaski laid the tiles down on the board. "QUARTZ, he boasted. Furthermore, the A connects with trophy to make ATROPHY. And, since the A is on the triple word, it counts for both... so 24... plus fifteen... that's thirty-nine times three... 117 points."

A slight pause as Cassie stared at the Scrabble board in shock.

"So, how does it feel to be my bitch?" Pollaski asked with a grin.

Cassie continued to stare for a several more minutes, then sighed. “This isn’t what I had in mind,” she muttered

“You set me up! You ain’t got anyone to blame but yourself!” Pollaski crowed.

Cassie shook her head. “It’s not that… it’s just… I imagined traveling with you guys being a lot more exciting than this.”

“Oh, howso?” Pollaski asked, looking up.

“I don’t know… I just thought that professional wrestlers lived… the good life. You know, flying in private jets, riding in limousines.”

“Cassie,” Dan said, staring at the nanny. “Have Wendy or Terrence EVER struck you as the private jet-flying, limousine riding, kiss stealing, wheeling and dealing types?”

“No… but I figured there would be somewhat of an adventure.”

“If you want an adventure, we’ll have Wendy cook tonight. You’ll get all the action you want then.”

Cassie laughed softly, then sighed. “That’s not quite what I meant.”

“Well, if you want, you could go with Wendy to Mandrake’s castle. That would be a hell of an adventure.”

“No thanks,” Cassie shuddered. “Why is she doing that anyways?”

Pollaski shrugged. “She feels it’s the best way. But I know she’s scared to death about it… I think Terrence is too. That’s probably why they’re spending so much time together doing things with Theresa this weekend. Just in case Vi… something happens next week.”

Cassie nodded. “I wish she wasn’t going.”

“So do I, and I definitely know Terrence feels the same way, too. But she’s made up her mind. And, you may not have figured this out yet, but Wendy’s a damned stubborn girl when she wants to be.”

“I know.” Cassie sighed, and looked back at her tiles, as Dan drew six more from the bag.

Cassie mulled over her turn for a couple of minutes, then began to reach for the letters. Before she could get a play off, though, the door to the RV opened, and both Cassie and Pollaksi turned as Terrence and Wendy trudged up the stairs, Wendy carrying a yawning Theresa in her arms.

“How was the movie?” Pollaski asked.

“Great!” Terrence replied with a grin. “We saw [I]Furry Vengeance[/I]. Funny stuff.”

“It was a cute film,” Wendy said, smiling. “Come on Terr-Bear, time for a nap.”

Given that Theresa’s protest ended in a yawn, the little girl wasn’t in much condition to be arguing, and Wendy carried her back into the bedroom. As soon as she disappeared, Pollaski turned towards Terrence. “How bad was it?”


“Dude…” Terrence said, the grin vanishing. “Remember the 3 Ninjas? The one at the amusement park? That was more intelligent.”

“Ouch,” Pollaski said, wincing.

"Yeah." Terrence said, looking into the bedroom. "Still, its just nice to do things, just the three of us. Oh, that reminds me. Did you book those reservations for tomorrow?"

"Yup, Mother's Day Brunch at the Yellow Church Tea House." Pollaski said, nodding. "9:45"

"Thanks, dude." Terrence said, looking down at the Scrabble scorepad. "Wow, Cassie. You're getting killed."

"Thanks," Cassie muttered, rolling her eyes.

Wendy re-emerged from the bedroom, brushing a strand of red hair out of her face.

"She asleep?" Terrence asked.

Wendy nodded. "It didn't take much. She was half-asleep when we got home.

A brief period of silence reigned over the RV. “Is there anything I can say to talk you out of what you’re about to do?” Terrence said quietly, rekindling the argument that had hung over the WhirlyBirdz for the past week.

Wendy shook her head, smiling sadly. ”Terry, you’re so sweet, and I know you’re concerned about me. But I’ve made up my mind. I can’t really explain why I’m choosing to go to Castle Mandrake to train, but there’s something inside of me that tells me this is the right thing to do.”

Terrence opened his mouth to continue the argument, but shut it. Today was Saturday, and Adrenaline was only two days away. Furthermore, Mother’s Day was tomorrow, and he really didn’t want to do anything to cause a fight between the two of them, jeopardizing the special day he had planned for the mother of his child.

“It’s just… you were away for a week, because you wanted to beat me when I was your opponent. Now I just get seven days, and you’re leaving again. I’m going to miss you.”

Wendy smiled. “I’m going to miss you too, Terrence. But I’ll be busy preparing for tag wars, and you’ll be busy preparing for the finals of the May Madness tournament. The week will be over before you know it.”

“I doubt it. But that reminds me… Dan, did you calculate it?”

“Las Vegas to Valpo? Google map says thirty hours and forty-six minutes. We’ll only have twenty from when Tag Wars ends to when Adrenaline begins. Even if we speed, we won’t make it. Not by a long shot.”

“Dammit.” Terrence swore. He was about to do the one thing he hated the most. “Better book a flight for four roundtrip from Chicago to Vegas, and one one-way for the trip back.”

“You’re going to fly to Vegas?” Wendy asked in surprise. “To watch me?”

“Of course I am,” Terrence said, although not entirely happily. “I’m not going to miss my wife winning her third World Tag Team title, am I?”

“But Terry, you HATE flying”


In actuality, the word ‘hatred’ was a severe understatement. Terrence Thompson was a clinical aerophobe, and required severe sedation to even deal with the rigors of flying. Wendy smiled at her husband, knowing that he was making a huge sacrifice by agreeing to fly to Vegas.

Terrence shrugged in return. As far as he was concerned, he wasn’t going to be away from his wife any longer than he had to be, and if that meant flying halfway across the goddamned country to do it… so be it.

”It doesn’t matter.” Terrence finally said. “I’ll be there. Besides, Pollaski’s going to be announcing the damned thing, so there’s really no reason we all can’t go.”

Wendy nodded, “Thank you Terry. I’ll look forward to seeing you there. I’m not sure how I’m getting there… I assume I’ll be flying in with Victor.”

“So that means,” Cassie said, perking up from mulling over her Scrabble tiles. “We’re all going to Las Vegas?”

“Aye,” Pollaski said with a wink. “Sin City, here we come!”

“Speaking of which,” Cassie said, grabbing two tiles. “SIN on a double word score.”

“Wow,” Pollaski said, unimpressed. “Six points for you. So you now have ninety-nine… to my 192.” And then he laughed maniacally.

“Well, I think we’ll leave you two to your battle of words,” Terrence said chuckling. He held out his arm to Wendy. “Would you care to go for an evening promenade with me through that park up the street?”

“Sure,” Wendy said, returning Terrence’s smile. She took her hand in his, and the two walked out into the warm evening air.

“They really do love each other…” Cassie commented. “I hope I find a man like that some day.”

“You may not have to look very far,” Pollaski said hopefully, although the smile he had disappeared when Cassie shot him a disgusted look. He changed tack on the fly. “I mean, look at all the PWX wrestlers… Danny Szatkowski’s single, from what I hear.”

Cassie stared at Pollaski, unsure what to make of his teasing.

“Just don’t go after Terrence’s opponent this week,” Pollaski finished with a wink. “I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that Valerie’s probably the jealous type… and it wouldn’t end well for you. Speaking of which… VAMPIRE on a double word score. Twenty-eight more for me.”

Cassie smacked her head against the table. “I’m really starting to hate this game.”

===========
MAY 8, 2010
LAKESIDE RV PARK & MINI GOLF COURSE
VALPARAISO, INDIANA
8:41 PM LOCAL TIME


(The scene opens up in the cockpit of the WhirlyBirdz RV. Terrence Thompson is sitting in his usual place, the driver’s seat, both hand’s on the wheel. However, there seems to be no sense of movement, such as the reflections and shadows of the objects they pass, and, given that Pollaski, Wendy, and Cassie are milling around in the kitchen behind him, it’s probably good to assume that the RV is still parked. Still, behind the wheel of an automobile is probably the place Terrence feels the most comfortable, so he can’t exactly be faulted for being there.)

(In addition, since the only light seems to be coming in through the overhead dome lights, and not the windows it’s a pretty safe assumption to assume it’s nighttime.)

Twister- So, one match down in the May Madness tournament, two to go until I can become the number one contender and focus my attention on dethroning Jacob Wright.

(Yay!)

Twister- I’m fairly certain everyone is well aware of what happened last week. For those of you who lived under a rock for the past seven days, I had to face my own beloved wife in the first round, and I emerged the winner, despite the best efforts of Wendy’s new overgrown meathead of a tag partner.

(That’s Victor Mandrake, for those of you not paying attention)

Twister- Speaking of which, I could probably go on for hours on how I feel about this whole Mandrake situation. But for those of you wondering, here it is in a nutshell. I completely disagree with my wife for her decision to train at Castle Mandrake for the next week, but it’s not my place to stop her. Wendy has made her decision, and I have no choice but to support her in it. I can only hope that no great harm comes out of this arrangement.

(Terrence now looks directly into the camera, his expression completely serious)

Twister- As for you, Victor Mandrake… you better treat my wife with the respect she deserves next week. If a single hair on her head is harmed, or if she is not back in my arms as soon as you two win tag wars- all I can say is what happened to you in AW several weeks ago will be NOTHING compared to what happens next.

(Small sardonic smile)

Twister- Other than that, good luck! I honestly hope you both win.

(Pause)

Twister- But, on that note, I’m not here to talk about Tag Wars. I’m here to talk about…

(Interruption! You may notice it happens a lot when it comes to the WhirlyBirdz)

Pollaski- What the HELL are you doing?

(Sure enough, Daniel Pollaski has wandered his way to the front of the RV, and is looking at Terrence with a mixture of curiosity, and disdain. Terrence, for his part, takes on a rather surly look.)

Twister- I’m cutting a promo. Go away.

Pollaski- Here? You know we’re not moving, dude…

(Terrence rolls his eyes)

Twister- Really? That would explain why the freaking building over there hasn’t gotten any closer in the past ten minutes.

Pollaski- So why are you in the driver’s seat of a vehicle that’s not moving?

(Looks like SOMEONE wasn’t paying attention earlier)

Twister- Its… just… a good place to think. Alright?

Pollaski- Eh, just looks dorky.

(And there goes the rest of Terrence’s patience)

Twister- You know what, fine. If me cutting a promo behind the wheel of a stationary RV is lame, then get ready for departure. I’ll drive this fucker around the whole city if I have to. Tell Wendy and Cassie dinner’s going to have to wait.

(Pause.)

Pollaski- I’m good.

Twister (smiling sarcastically)- Thank you…

(Pollaski turns and begins to walk away, then pauses, and turns back around, suddenly remembering something)

Pollaski- Oh, you should say how funny it is that Jeremiah’s a vampire, but he shares his name with one of the greatest vampire hunting families of all time.

Twister- Van Helsing?

(Pause)

Pollaski- No… dude. Belmont! Trevor Belmont! Richter Belmont! Simon Belmont!

(Blank stare from Terrence to Dan)

Pollaski- CASTLEVANIA! You know, the video game series. Castlevania… Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest... Castlevania III: Dracula’s Curse… Castlevania IV…

Twister- I get it.

Pollaski- Anyways, I just think the irony is hilarious.

(As Terrence looks at Dan, his eyes begin to narrow, and his grip on the steering wheel tightens until his knuckles are white. Pollaski catches on that he’s not welcome here anymore)

Pollaski- I’m gonna go help with dinner now.

Twister- You do that.

(Daniel turns and walks away, leaving Twister alone in the cockpit once more. Terrence turns back to the camera)

Twister- Sorry about that.

(A moment to refocus and gather his thoughts…)

Twister- Jeremiah Belmont… my opponent in the semifinals. I’ve heard and seen a lot of good things about you, ‘Miah. You’re the Legend’s Cup winner, you’re a bonafide PWX legend, and one of the best this region has to offer.

(Small smirk)

Twister- And if you’re anywhere near as talented as your wife is, I know I’m going to have a hell of a fight on my hands.

(And continue)

Twister- But here’s the question, Jeremiah. How much do you really want to win this. Do you have the heart? Do you have the desire? How many times have you come close, ‘Miah, to becoming the king of the mountain?

(Terrence shakes his head)

Twister- And yet, your name is not mentioned once amongst the twenty-one holders of the PWX Championship. Every time the summit has been in reach, you have missed, and you have fallen, the last a mere couple months ago at Vendetta.

(Smirk)

Twister- Why, then, Jeremiah? Why, for all your talent, for all your ability, has your entire PWX singles career amounted to a tournament trophy and one short lived Hybrid Title reign? What has kept you from the top? Are you overrated?

(Terrence pauses for effect. We like to do that, you may notice)

Twister- Or is the ageless “Demon Knight” afraid of his own success?

(Oooh…)

Twister- Years ago, I used to be thought of that way. Couldn’t get over the hump. Choke artist. Could never win the big one. But I overcame that. I finally downed one of the greatest cheaters in the history of this sport, Ricky Taverna, to capture my first major regional heavyweight title.

(Pollaski with the assist for chucking a tear gas canister at Taverna’s stable as they tried to make the save.)

Twister- And then I walked into the Bayou, and outlasted thirty-seven other competitors in a Last Man Standing Battle Royal to win their title too.

(Ah… memories)

Twister- My list of accomplishments is not the longest in the world. But I’ve done it, I’ve cleared the final hurdle and crossed the finish line. I did it in the NGWA. I did it in the BWA. I did it in the Alliance when I overcame three years of frustration to win the World title. And I will do it in the PWX. And as I demonstrated last week, I’m willing to go through ANYONE to make sure that happens.

(For the first time, Terrence looks slightly upset with himself, but he continues on.)

Twister- Think on that, Jeremiah. I drove my own wife off the top rope to advance in this tournament. Don’t think of me bragging here. I’m not proud of what I did… in fact, it sickened me to do it. But it was necessary for me to get the win.

(A slight pause, as Terrence shudders, remembering the horrible feeling he had immediately after the match, before he had managed to make his wife regain consciousness.)

Twister- In fact, that’s one of the reasons I now want to win this tournament even more. Wendy’s forgiven me for what I had to do to her last week. But I don’t think I’ve entirely forgiven myself… I would never lay a hand on my wife outside of the ring… it was hard enough doing it in a fully sanctioned match.

(Shakes his head sadly)

Twister- And if I’m eliminated here… If you beat me on Monday, then everything I did to her, everything we went through over the course of that match, will amount to one huge waste. I’m not going to let that happen, Jeremiah. The best thing I can do for my wife is to win May Madness. Our battle last week will not be in vain.

(Another short pause)

Twister- But therein lies the rub, Jeremiah. I hated to beat my wife in a match. But I did it. I drove her into that mat with everything I had, rolled her over, and got the three count. Can you do the same thing?

(Good question!)

Twister- You see, there are only four of us left. Either you or I will become one of the final two. The other two are John Ojeda, and your own wife, Valerie Belmont. Now, I’ll make it no secret who I want to win that match. In fact, I think everyone except Johnny’s stupid biker gang is hoping that Val absolutely murders him on Monday. It should be entertaining.

(Small smile)

Twister- And a Terrence Thompson-Valerie Belmont rematch is going to just bring the house down.

(Figuratively)

Twister- But here’s something you need to think about. What if, by some small miracle, you win? What if the championships of May Madness are Jeremiah and Valerie Belmont facing each other, with all the marbles on the line? What happens then?

(Whatever semblance of a smile he had earlier is now absolutely gone.)

Twister- Can you do it, Jeremiah? Can you triumph in a wrestling match over your own wife? Can you send her to the Rapture, watch her head snap back as your boot collides with her skull? Can you maintain your objectivity, your desire long enough to get that win?

(Pause)

Twister- I could. I DID. If you can’t, then I’ll be glad to take that dilemma out of your hands.

(Finally a small, although restrained smile)

Twister- Jeremiah Belmont, I have already shown the world just how badly I want to win May Madness and the PWX title. If you haven’t figured it out yet, you’ll know the moment that bell rings that I’m serious. If I’m willing to do what I did to my own wife to advance, what the hell do you think I’m going to do to you? I don’t care what kind of stipulation JPO has shoved us into. I will beat you down, I will get the three count, and I will advance to the finals. And then, I will do it one more time, and win May Madness. As for you…

(Terrence shakes his head one last time.)

Twister- I’m sure you’ll get over the hump one day, Jeremiah. But it sure as hell ain’t gonna be on my time.

(Fade out, as Terrence leaves. Dinner time!)

No comments:

Post a Comment