Saturday, June 26, 2010

EPISODE 8: Separation

APRIL 28, 2010
THE NEST
INDIANAPOLIS, INDIANA
9:54 AM LOCAL TIME

Terrence Thompson looked up as his wife came down the stairs, suitcase in hand. Terrence set down the paper he had been reading, and got up from his easy chair, walking over to her.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" He asked, as the flame-haired woman set the luggage down.

Wendy nodded, giving her husband a sad smile. "Yes, I do. I'm sorry, Terry. I can't explain it, but there's something inside of me that's telling me that I need to beat you. And if I stay here, the tension between us will be too much. This will be hard enough as it is."

Terrence almost suggested that they call this match off, and demand that JPO switch one of them with another person in the tournament brackets, but he knew that such an idea would be extremely offensive to Wendy. Wendy tried to hide it, but she had a definite prideful streak.

"I'll miss you," was all he finally managed to say.

"I know," Wendy said, grabbing her husband and embracing him. "But Terry, facing each other nearly severed our relationship once, and we can't ever let that happen again. But for this week, and this week only, I can't be your wife, and you can't be my husband."

"Wendy, I don't care if I'm facing you or not... you will ALWAYS be my wife."

Wendy smiled sadly, then reached back, unclasping the silver necklace. "Give me your ring," she ordered, sliding off her own.

Puzzled, Terrence obliged, giving her his gold band. Quickly, Wendy threaded the necklace through the rings, reclasped it, then walked to the fireplace, setting the jewelery on the mantle.

"There," Wendy declared. "Here, at the hearth of our home, you and I will remain together. No matter what happens outside of this house, when you and I arrive home next Tuesday, we put our rings back on, and that will be that. Agreed?"

Terrence nodded. "Agreed. Now come on... you and I have one more thing to take care of."

"What's that?" Wendy asked, confused.

"There's a little girl who's going to be confused out of her mind if we don't talk to her." Terrence explained. "We put this off long enough."

Wendy nodded, and took a deep breath. "Theresa!" She called, leading Terrence into the dining room. The little girl quickly appeared, and Wendy picked her up and set her in her chair. Terrence and Wendy sat down, neither one sure exactly of what to say.

Finally, Wendy gave it a try. "Terr-Bear... you know mommy and daddy love each other very much, right?"

The three-year old nodded, obviously confused.

"And we'll continue to love each other, no matter what happens."

Again, Theresa nodded, but it was obvious Wendy was in trouble.

"Theresa," Terrence said, giving it a try. "Your mother and I will face each other next week on Adrenaline."

Theresa suddenly seemed to have comprehension. "Mommy and daddy awe gonna fight?"

Wendy nodded. "Yes, Theresa. Terrence and I are competing against each other in a match next week. We just wanted to talk to you to make sure you understood."

Theresa looked between her two parents. "Awe you going to huwt each other?"

"Theresa, listen to me," Terrence said sternly. "I love your mother, and I would NEVER do anything to hurt her. But yes, in that ring, Wendy and I will be fighting. But your mother and I fight by the rules, and we won't hurt each other anymore than we need to get the win. I promise you, when this is over, neither of us will be injured, and we will both still love each other."

Theresa looked from her father to her mother, who nodded. "He's right, Theresa. Our bond is way too strong for a match to tear asunder."

It was obvious some of the words had flown clear over Theresa's head, but she seemed reassured. Finally she spoke. "I hope mommy wins." she said with the candor only a three year old could have.

Wendy burst into laughter, and Terrence did his best to look completely offended.

"Actually," Terrence said, grinning at Wendy. "Why don't you take the little traitor with you?"

"What?" Wendy was surprised.

"You're staying at some ritzy hotel downtown right? It could be fun for her... heck, get Cassie to come too. "It'll be a girls week out!"

"Terrence," Wendy admonished, "I'm going to be training, not attending a day-spa."

"Come on," Terrence chided. "It's going to be a tough week for you being away from me. No sense being away from your daughter as well. Besides, she can help you figure out how to beat me!"

Wendy laughed and shook her head. "Theresa, do you want to go downtown with mommy?" The little girl nodded vigorously. "Okay, go get some of your toys."

The little girl ran off, and Wendy turned to her husband. "Thank you," she said. "But what about you?"

"I can batch it for a week," Terrence said with a smile. "Sides, Pollaski's picking up Super Street Fighter IV today."

Wendy rolled her eyes, knowing full well that Terrence was going to miss Theresa just as much as she would. "Thank God we haven't unpacked her suitcase yet."

A horn blast shattered the silence, and Wendy sighed. "Cassie's here to give me a ride." She said, rising to her feet. "I better go"

Terrence followed his wife into the hallway, just as Theresa bounded down the stairs, the Spongebob Pollaski gave her in her hands. "Bye daddy!" She said, and Terrence picked her up, giving her a hug and kiss.

"Bye, Terr-Bear. You be good for mommy, okay?"

Theresa nodded, and Terrence set her down. "Hey, run outside and ask Cassie if she wants to stay with you and mommy."

Theresa ran out the front door, leaving Wendy and Terrence alone in the foyer. Wendy looked over at the fireplace, and sighed.

"I'm sorry." she said.

"Hey, its just a few days." Terrence said, embracing her. "It'll be Monday before you know it. We'll have our match, and that'll be it. Actually, I'm planning on us having two matches Monday night. Only no one else is gonna see the second one, and we'll both be winners."

Wendy giggled, and turned bright red, swatting her husband on the arm, as she pulled away. She sniffled, and was surprised to find a tear running down her cheek.

"Go on, hon." Terrence said softly. "Don't keep Cassie waiting."

Wendy picked up the suitcases, and walked to the door, turning around one last time. Terrence looked straight back at her, and they both knew they were thinking the exact same thing.

The next time either of them saw each other, it would be as enemies.

Wendy finally turned, and exited the house, shutting the door behind her. Terrence slowly walked into the living room, and watched Cassie's car back up and pull away through the window.

As the car disappeared from view, he plopped into his easy chair, and closed his eyes.

It was going to be a long week.
==========================
APRIL 30, 2010
CANTERBURY HOTEL
INDIANAPOLIS, INDIANA
2:17 PM LOCAL TIME

(Scene opens in a hotel room that would be best described as swanky. Two queen sized-ultra soft beds, a large lcd tv on the wall, a fine mahogany wood table, and a balcony overlooking the city of Indianapolis. Its obvious Wendy's week long sabbatical isn't going to be in a Holiday Inn.)

(Wendy sits alone in the room, on one of the beds, looking into the camera with those emerald green eyes. She is wearing a black short-sleved blouse with a long black skirt)

Wendy- Well, High Stakes was a success for me... I managed to defeat Lust, and I earned a berth in the #1 contender's tournament.

(Small smile)

Wendy- But now I find that my inclusion in the tournament is bittersweet, because now I must face my own husband, Terrence Thompson. Now, I've made it no secret that I do want this match, and I want to beat the man I love more than anything in this world.

No, it's not that I'm a glory hog, or that there is some secret animosity between the two of us. It's just that...

(There's a long pause, as Wendy seems to be caught in her own thoughts)

Wendy- I'm sorry, this is just a little hard for me to put into words.

(Go ahead, take your time.)

Wendy- I guess I want to beat Terrence the same way any student desires to overcome the master. And yes, I do consider Terrence as the man who trained me in this sport. He had barely two months of experience under his own belt, but he did everything he could to make sure I was able to defend myself and not get killed.

As we worked the independent circuit, pushed by greedy promoters who wanted to present us as an intergender tag team novelty act, regardless of how little we knew the sport, or if we got hurt, Terrence bacame a sort of guardian angel. He made sure I was never taken advantage of, and as the losses piled up, he became a pillar of support for me during those dark times.

Finally, we managed to receive some proper training, and we became better and better. But I've always felt that to be complete, I would have to one day best my the man who at least taught me how not to get killed in the ring.

This is my opportunity. I'm not in this match to stake a claim as the better WhirlyBird. I'm not really for caring whether or not I can take the Next Generation title away from my husband, and although it would be nice, my main goal isn't to advance in this tournament. Its to beat my husband.

(Wendy gives another small smile at the camera, a gleam of determination flashing in her emerald eyes.)

Wendy- Terrence, you and I have had our struggles over the past few months, but there is no bitterness in my heart, and there is no animosity in this match. I want to win simply because I respect you more than anyone else who has ever set foot in a wrestling ring.

This is the culmination of everything I've worked for in my entire career. If I can overcome you, my hisband, I know I have truly made that final step to becoming a complete combatant. And if I can't... if I fail...

(The smile disappears, and Wendy's gaze lowers, as if realizing for the first time that a loss is a possibility here.)

Wendy- ...Then I'll know that I still have a long way to go. I'll see you Monday, hon.

(The scene begins to fade, but...)

*KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK*

(The sharp knocking at the door startles Wendy, and she jumps about a mile. She gets up, and walks out of the frame, but we can still hear the audio as she opens the door.)

Wendy- (surprised) Pollaski! What are you doing here?

(Pollaski's voice can be heard, although he too is off camera)

Pollaski- Hey Wendy. I just came by to see how you're doing.

Wendy- I'm fine. I'm training hard, and Theresa, Cassie and I are having a blast. How's Terry?

Pollaski- Training hard... but he SUCKS at Street Fighter. I already beat him with every character. He misses you, though.

Wendy- I know... I miss him too.

Pollaski- Anyways, I also wanted to show you this.

(The sound of a piece of paper being unfolded can be heard.)

Wendy- This... is the Tag Wars Tournament lineup...

Pollaski- Read it.

(Slight pause)

Wendy- (now sounding VERY upset) No.... we disbanded. We broke up when the titles were vacated!

Pollaski- I'm sorry. I saw this, and I knew you needed to know.

Wendy- Can't I pull out, or we find someone else? I don't want to do this... not with him.

Pollaski- I'll do what I can, but I can't make promises

Wendy- Please, Dan. Find some way to get me out of this. I... I'm sorry. I need to be alone.

Pollaski- Okay. Just take it easy, alright?

(The door can be heard closing, and Wendy walks back into the picture. Its obvious she's extremely distraught, almost to the point of tears.)

Wendy- No.... God... why? I was free...

(Slight pause, then Wendy, looks straight at the camera, and her distress melts into a rage.)

Wendy- (screaming) I WAS FREE!

(Wendy kicks at the camera, tipping over the tripod. As the camera falls to the floor, we can hear Wendy dissolving into sobs. Then the camera hits, and static)

No comments:

Post a Comment