Monday, August 30, 2010

EPISODE 37: Just Deserts

Friday August 20, 2010
WhirlyBirdz RV- outside
Somewhere in Nevada
7:31 PM Local Time


[The Nevada Desert]

[August]

[Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to hold a show here?]

[Nonetheless, the married tag-team known as the WhirlyBirdz (Terrence Thompson and Wendy Briese), have made the long trip from Indianapolis for their CWC debut (Well, Wendy’s CWC debut. Their idiot manager forgot to send in the paperwork for Terrence). Traveling along are, of course, their usual entourage. Daughter Theresa, idiot manager Pollaski, and travel-along nanny Cassie.]

[So after a couple hard days of driving (Terrence, being an ex-auto racer, drives fast), the Birdz have arrived in ‘The Middle of Nowhere’ Nevada, where they have set up camp and settled down to rest for the big day tomorrow.]

[It’s a pleasant evening as the picture fades in, the sun just starting to dip below the western horizon, casting brilliant streaks of orange across the desert evening sky. Sitting in a lawn chair just outside the RV is a young woman, in her late twenties, with shoulder-length flame-red hair tied behind her in a ponytail, and gentle emerald green eyes. While not exactly a supermodel, she definitely could be considered attractive in that girl next door sort of way. For being in the desert in the middle of summer, she is fairly conservatively dressed, wearing a pale green knee-length summer dress, the straps just wide enough to cover her shoulders. As would be expected of a lady of modesty, the woman sits cross legged in her chair, a cool, frosty glass of iced tea sitting on the ground beside her.]

[This, of course, is Wendy Briese, ready to shoot her first ever CWC promo. Her four companions have gone out for a nice evening walk, giving Wendy some much needed time alone to gather her thoughts for tomorrow. Wendy opens her mouth to say something, but thinks better of it. Finally, after a few seconds of deliberation, she sighs, and gives a small smile to the camera.]

Wendy: “You have to forgive me if I seem a little jittery. I always get a little nervous before my first match.”

[To be fair, she gets nervous before pretty much EVERY match. When you’re a 130 lb girl in the business of routinely fighting guys twice your weight, nerves tend to come with the territory. Never has affected her performance in the ring, however.]

Wendy: “You’d think after five years in this business, I’d have gotten used to it. But making a positive first impression is so very important in this industry. Perform well, and you can immediately establish yourself as a commodity, quickly moving yourself towards the top of the cards and the big matches every wrestler dreams of competing in. But underwhelm, and you get relegated to filler- or, even worse, finding yourself released.”

[Wendy takes a deep breath, again trying to focus her thoughts. Finally, she flashes a smile at the camera.]

Wendy: “I’m sure there’s a few of you who know of me, but for those of you who don’t, my name is Wendy Briese-Thompson. I began wrestling in late 2001 with my then boyfriend Terrence, forming a tag team known as the WhirlyBirdz. I won’t lie, I’m never going to go down in history as the most dominating wrestler of all time, but I’m very proud of what I have been able to accomplish, both in singles and in tag teams, and I’m looking forward to the opportunities I have in the future.”

[Wendy pauses for just a second, taking a sip of her iced tea, and brushes a few stray strands of her hair from her face.]

Wendy: “Terrence and I retired in late 2005, to get married and raise a family. We have a wonderful four-year old daughter, Theresa, who is the light of my life. I won’t get into why Terrence and I returned to the ring this past April, but other than the circumstances surrounding it, I don’t regret it in the slightest. One of best parts about our return to wrestling is that I have the opportunity to take my daughter around the country, and show her all kinds of wonderful places. And Theresa’s a smart, tough girl. If I didn’t think she could handle being on the road, watching her parents compete, I would return to retirement in a heartbeat.”

[As she continues to talk, Wendy’s nervousness seems to abate, as in merely having a chance to talk about herself, and her upcoming match, has calmed her nerves somewhat. By this point, she seems considerably more relaxed.]

Wendy: “I’m excited that I was invited to participate in the Council’s InFamy show. Most of my career was spent in the now-defunct WFWA interfed, and the challenges and opportunities that came with being in an interfed was one of the most appealing aspects of this business. It’s always an honor to represent your home organization and do them proud, and I hope to represent the PWX here as well as I have my other companies in the past.”

[Wendy pauses for just a second, smiling in reminiscence at the glories she once held in the old WFWA. Its a bittersweet memory, considering she returned to wrestling in an attempt to help save the alliance, only for it to die just a few months later.]

Wendy: “I’m glad to see the Council fully intends to have newcomers hit the ground running here. I think a ‘triple threat’ is one of the most challenging matches in all of wrestling to win. In a one-on-one situation, once you get your opponent down, there is no one to stop you. And with more wrestlers involved- there’s always a chance that your other opponents may be too distracted with each other to stop you when you make a cover. But with just three in the ring- there’s someone to stop you, and there is no distraction. You factor in that I’m facing two very talented individuals in Bob Pooler and Jared Black, and I’m definitely going to have to earn my win.”

[Wendy grins ever-so slightly. She always likes a good challenge, and she sees it in this contest.]

Wendy: “Finding information on Bob Pooler was a tough task. I know he’s from Montreal, and he competed in the Ascension tournament back in February. But the company he represented, the UCWA, seems to have left the Council a few months ago. And even there, Pooler seems to have taken a leave of absence. Even so, from what I was able to gather, he was highly regarded. He’s a member of the UCWA Hall of Fame, and a former World Champion, so obviously he’s a dangerous opponent.”

[A slight pause, as Wendy takes another sip of her iced tea, then returns to talking.]

Wendy: “Jared Black, on the other hand, is much easier to scout, as he competes for PrYde Wrestling. Like me, Jared is making his CWC debut, so I’m sure he’s as anxious to get in the ring and compete as I am. Jared is a two-time and current PrYde Evolution Champion, and has competed for their World Title as well.”

[Small shrug]

Wendy: “In fact, the Jared Black story could almost be viewed as inspirational. Just a few years ago, the man weighed nearly four-hundred pounds! He is now... quite literally, half the man he used to be! That’s honestly amazing. My own manager, Pollaski, weighs over three-hundred himself, and he’s always had frustrations with his inability to lose his own mass. He remarked to me the other day that he was impressed with what Jared managed to accomplish- and he rarely compliments anyone.”

[There were, however, a rather large number of Subway jokes from the ever-sarcastic Pollaski, which annoyed Wendy to no end. Ah well, Jared’s probably heard them all.]

[Wendy’s smile fades, and she gives the camera a similar look to the one she gives Theresa when she catches her stealing cookies.]

Wendy: “So you can imagine how disappointed I felt when I watched a replay of the last Vindication, and I saw Jared driving a steel chair into the head of another man. So much of my respect for Jared disappeared in that one swing, because what honestly did it accomplish? Jared justified it as him showing that he would do anything to retain his title... but a true champion shouldn’t have to resort to ‘anything’. A true champion need only rely on his own abilities, not cheating, weapons or outside interference. From what I read, Jared is better than the man he chose to be that night.”

[Wendy looks down, and shakes her head sadly. Wendy has always considered wrestling to be an athletic competition, and she detests the usage of any weapons, or outside interference, as disgraces to the sport.

Wendy: “As for me...”

[Another shrug.]

Wendy: “I’m good at what I do. My kicks don’t shatter bones, my submissions don’t dislocate joints, and my throws don’t cause the entire arena to shake, but I’m effective nonetheless. What I lack in size and strength, I more than make up for in my speed, my technique, and the fact that I won’t give up until the match ends. In short, while I don’t end careers, I do win matches, and I win them the right way.”

[Wendy tries to say it all matter-of-factly, but a bit of boasting does enter into her voice. Even though she tries hard to hide it, Wendy has an ego like any other professional wrestler, and she’s fairly proud that she’s always proven that one doesn't need to cheat to win.]

Wendy: “I’m looking forward to this match. It may not have all the glitz and glamor of a main event, but for a chance to make that first impression, it’s a wonderful opportunity. Jared is in a federation where women compete against the men, and Pooler was defeated by Tara Michaels in the first round of the Ascencion tournament, so I know neither man is going to overlook me on the basis of my gender. I’m glad for that- I hate being accused of winning matches because of chivalry.”

[A small grimace. She’s faced those accusations too many times for her liking.]

Wendy: “Gentlemen, I will see you both in the ring, Saturday night. Let’s give the fans a match to be proud of, and steal the show. Good luck to the both of you.”

[Wendy nods respectfully towards the camera, then breaks into the cheesy grin she only wears on the rare occasions she attempts to tell a joke.]

[Brace yourself. They’re normally horrendous.]

Wendy: “And may the best WOMAN win.”

[And fade]

No comments:

Post a Comment