Monday, August 20, 2012

EPISODE 189: Saoirse, Part III

Monday July 9, 2012
Thompson Family RV- Main Cabin
Omaha, Nebraska
1:24 PM Local Time


“You’re watching that AGAIN?” 

Wendy Briese, who had been hunched over her laptop and staring intently at the screen, looked up at the sound of her husband’s voice.  She turned to regard him, attempting a smile, even though it certainly came off as strained.  “I just wanted to take one more look. Just to be sure.”

Terrence looked down at her, disapproval evident in his face, which made her feel annoyed.  Terrence had done millions of stupid things in his life, from blowing up things to demolishing things to violating pretty much every code in the neighborhood covenant, and he was judging her over this?

Before she could respond, however, his hand flicked out pointing at the computer’s screen.  Wendy’s eyes followed.  On it, of course, was her brother’s promo that he made just before the big Midas Touch Battle Royal the last week.  It had been stopped on a frame near the end, when a third man had briefly walked behind her brother, disappearing into an adjacent room.  Terrence sighed.

“You’ve spent the last week watching it ‘one more time, just to be sure.’”  Terrence replied.  “You ARE sure.  I’m sure.  Pollaski’s sure.  Uncle Steve is sure.  Everyone who knows what he looks like is positive that’s your father, so you don’t need to keep obsessively watching the damn video!”

“Then why didn’t the police find anything?”  Wendy demanded.  She had contacted the FBI Hotline immediately after her confrontation with her brother, and the police had gone to question him at his apartment in Chicago on Tuesday.  They had been empty handed.

“Because he probably ran like hell the moment he found out you were onto him.  Yuri probably called your dad while you were on the phone to the FBI.  He had more than enough time to get out of there.  And besides, didn’t the investigator say he had reason to believe someone else had been living there, but had left recently?”

“Then where did he go?”  Wendy sighed, reaching over and shutting off the video.  She wanted to watch it again, but she also didn’t feel like arguing with Terrence. 

“I don’t know.  Elsewhere in Chicago. Gary.  Detroit.  Milwaukee.  Dublin.  I don’t know.  But sitting here worrying about it ain’t gonna do anything.  The police have a scent, which is more than they’ve had the last five months.  They’ll get him.”

“I hope so.”  Wendy whispered.   She had always suspected that Yuri’s return, merely a couple of month after her dad’s escape from prison, had hardly been a coincidence.  It didn’t surprise her that the two were together, but until that video had aired, she had no proof.  Now she had it, only to find things hadn’t gone quick enough.  “They tried to ruin me ten years ago, Terry.  And they nearly succeeded.  It can’t happen again.  Especially now that we have a daughter.”

Terrence nodded, sitting down next to her at the small kitchenette table the RV provided.   “We won’t let it.   Yuri’s almost as scared at the thought of facing you as you are at the thought of facing him.  He would have gone after you, in the hallway otherwise.”

“I know.  He’s waiitng for the right moment,” Wendy replied, her voice still a whisper.  “I’m just scared of what’s going to happen when that moment comes.”

“You’ll win,” Terrence said, leaning forward, and kissing her on the forehead.  “I’m sure of that.  He’s bigger and stronger, but you’re faster, more agile, smarter, and braver.”

Terrence looked up as the door to the RV banged open, and Theresa came running up the steps, grinning ear to ear.  A few seconds was all it took for the Birdz to see the reason behind her jubilation- Daniel Pollaski walking up the steps, holding two humongous buckets of KFC.  Behind him came Cassie DeSlair, the Birdz’ tag-along babysitter, holding another large KFC bag, this presumably sides.

“Ah, lunch!”  Terrence exclaimed, rubbing his hands together.  “I was just getting hungry too.”

“But... don’t you have a match in just a couple hours?”  Wendy asked, not quite sharing her husband’s enthusiasm.  “Are you sure this is a good idea?”

“Its protein, right?” Pollaski replied as he dropped the buckets on the table.  “After all, before I can squash Payton, I need to BULK UP!  HIYAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

He turned to Theresa, bending over and bellowing in her face, flexing like a gorilla as he did so.   Theresa responded by shrieking “HIYAAAAA!” back, and imitating Pollaski’s pose.  Terrence chuckled, and helped himself to a thigh, while Pollaski grinned over at the bemused Wendy.  He took one look at her face, and the laptop in front of her, and his grin vanished as he put two and two together.

“Don’t tell me you’re still watching that stupid video.”

“Don’t be silly, I was just checking something.”  Wendy lied, shutting the laptop, and setting it aside.   To her right, Terrence broke out into a coughing fit, although several of the heaves sounding like “Bullshit!” made her question its legitimacy.   She kicked him under the table, then sighed.  “Just once, okay?  It just bothers me that they still haven’t caught him.”  She paused.  “Do you have any ideas?”

Pollaski cringed in a clear exaggerated fashion, and Wendy instantly knew where this was going.  “Well, I’d LOVE to help you, Wendy.  But... unfortunately.... I got fired this morning, and it just wouldn’t feel right.”

“That is true,” Terrence commented, his mouth full of chicken.

“He blew an AIRHORN in our ears, Terrence!  Three times!”  Wendy protested.

“No, I understand,” Pollaski said, his voice filled with exaggerated dejection.  “Thank God I still have The Scarborough Fair.  And while I’m sure riding on their tour bus will be as fun and freewheeling as I’ve always wanted it to be, it just won’t be the same.  And all for trying to be funny in a promo.” 

Wendy rolled her eyes.  “Fine.  You’re rehired.  Do we need to make a new contract or something?”  She couldn’t quite keep the sarcasm out of her voice.

“Wehoo!”  Pollaski grinned, not even bothering to pretend being surprised.  “And check Clause 41 of your current contract.  There’s a forty-eight hour grace period on all terminations.  I stuck that in after I remembered how trigger happy you are.”  He grinned and turned towards one of the cabinets, pulling out a small stack of plates, and began handing them out.

“I’m such a sucker...”  Wendy muttered, feeling her hands curling into claws at her side.  She wanted to rip into her on-again-off-again manager at that moment, but settled instead for grabbing a breast from the bucket, and tearing into it, barely even noticing when Terrence slid a plate, silverware, and a napkin under her. 

Wendy was almost done devouring the breast when the sound of the “Macarena” began to fill the air in the RV.  Considering only one of the four adults in the RV would have a ringtone like that, all eyes turned towards Pollaski, who looked somewhat surprised.  Evidently he wasn’t expecting a phone call.

That surprise only increased when he pulled out his Droid, and looked at it.  “International?”  he asked, bewildered.  Shrugging, he clicked the phone on, “CWG Enterprises”

Wendy couldn’t help but chuckle.  As long as he had been a manager, Pollaski had called his ‘talent agency’ CartWheel Galaxy Enterprises.  But since Terrence and Wendy had pretty much ever been the only clients he’d ever had, the name existed only as a formality.  Evidently, his signing of the Scarborough Fair had brought the name back.

Pollaski had stood up, and walked away from the table to better conduct his business, while Wendy helped herself to a heaping scoop of mashed potatoes and another of macaroni and cheese.  The talk around the table turned to various subjects- tonight’s Aggression,  the coming “division of forces” as Wendy would fly to Spain, while Terrence would make the considerably shorter jaunt to the Iowa Speedway for his next race, and the likelihood of Wendy returning in time for race to start on Friday night.  They had just begun to talk about plans for Theresa’s Birthday on Sunday when Pollaski returned, looking fairly excited.

“What was that all about?”  Terrence asked, his mouth again full. 

“That was the Northern Ireland tourist board...”  Pollaski began, and Wendy’s head snapped up.  “They’re starting an advertising campaing to target Americans, and they were wanting to get prominent Americans of Irish descent to participate in the campaign.  They wanted to know if you’re interested.”

“I am.  Very interested.”  Wendy said, starting to feel excited herself.  “What do they want me to do?”

“Couple advertisements.  Maybe a few poster-ads for airports.  I told them I’d talk to you, and I’d see if I have to clear anything with FFW.  They want an answer by tomorrow.  That’ll give them two weeks to get everything set up.”  He grinned.  “Bet you’re glad you hired me back, hunh?”

But Wendy’s mind was on something else.  “Two weeks?  That’s the Tuesday before Unstoppable...”

Pollaski nodded.  “Yeah.  But they’d said you’d only be out there for a day or so.  It wouldn’t take that long.  You could fly straight to Seattle, and be there by Thursday, which is when the pre-show activities really start going.  And I’ll find a good gym where you can train.”

Wendy paused.  “If FFW’s okay with it, I’ll do it.”

“Don’t see why they wouldn’t be.  It’s more exposure for them, too.  Especially during this international tour.  Hell, maybe we can even get your ads aired during FFW shows.”

“Great!”  Wendy said, grinning.  “This’ll be so exciting!”

“Yup, once we get the details worked out then, I’ll make arrangements for you to go to Belfast.   I’m sure you’ll have a blast.”

“Congrats, hon.”  Terrence grinned, giving Wendy a small hug.  Both Theresa and Cassie were offering their congratulations, and Wendy couldn’t help but blush, grinning at this huge break she had. 

Besides, she’d much rather be in Belfast in late July than anywhere in the scorched plains of America!


======================
Thursday July 12, 2012
Buen Retiro Park- Monument to King Alfonso XII
Madrid, Spain
11:41 AM Local Time


Buen Retiro- literally meaning in English “The good retreat”- is one of Madrid’s largest parks, located on the outskirts of the city center, it is filled with monuments, statues, galleries, and a beautiful lake, making it one of Madrid’s most well known attractions.  It’s also where our scene opens, on the shores of the lake, next to a monument to one of Spains kings in the 19th Century.  The king overlooks the lake from horseback on a tall pedestal, while an arc of columns and arches spread behind him.  It’s a beautiful monument and, judging by the large number of people surrounding it, quite a popular one as well. 

Wendy’s there too, of course, standing a ways away from the monument, right in front of the camera, which turns to focus on her.  Despite the scorching ninety-one degree weather, Wendy has elected for a long pale light grey skirt, and a matching blouse.  While her modesty certainly has come into play here, there’s also an element of practicality- the less of Wendy’s fair skin that is revealed, the less chance she has of entering tongiht’s match with a sunburn.  In fact her bare arms and face shine, being lathered heavily with sunblock.  Still, Wendy’s smiling although squinting slightly due to the brightness of the day.


“So here we are, stop number six of our World Tour!!  And, with all due respect to the other gracious hosts we have had on this tour... Madrid is by far the most beautiful place we’ve been to yet.  Just so beautiful, from the buildings, to the parks, to the museums.  I honestly think we’re more lucky to have stopped in Madrid than Madrid is to have us stop here.”

“Still, I hope we can repay the wonderful Spanish hospitality we’ve gotten here, and give everyone an awesome show worth watching tonight!  It, looks promising, of course.  That main event, with the Mackenzie Mafia getting to take on the Power Trip, will be great to watch.  And I know after all that Emma and Eileen have had to deal with over the past few weeks, they’ll be so happy to get that chance to smack Shane and Caroline around, before finally shutting the both of them up for good at Unstoppable.  And we’ll also FINALLY see Casey and Ignis go one on one.  And just like we all believed in Jennifer Williams last Friday, I believe Ignis can further humble Ms. Atherton, and give her something to think about!”

“But if all goes well, the match that’s going to have everyone talking as they leave the arena won’t be either of those.  It’ll be the one that happens in between them, when Wendy Briese faces Cara Stone.”


She grins, holding up her hand which has her fingers crossed. 

“It’s almost like a mini Tournament of the Fan Favorites that we’re in here.  I faced Desirae, Cara faced Eileen, and we both won and advanced to the finals.  I don’t know if that’s how it was intended, but it sure seems to be what ended up happening.  And the fans certainly enjoyed the first two matches, that’s for sure.  And this one looks to be even better than those first two, and truly be a present to our Spanish fans!” 

“Heck, it’s such a big match that Cara even felt the need to write a song about it.  And I’m actually surprised... Barbara Streisand songs are not easy ones to sing, and she did it pretty good.  I didn’t know she could sing... although with her vocal stylings, perhaps Leslie Gore’s “You Don’t Own Me” might have been a better fit for the subject material.  But there I am giving out unsolicited advice again...


Wendy laughs at her forced joke, but it’s a strained laughter, and she’s obviously not into it.  It only laughs for a second before it stops completely, and Wendy gives a huge sigh.

“Look, Cara.  I saw what you had to say about me.  And I’ve done some thinking every since your promo went up.   And... you’re right about some things.  Maybe I do give unsolicited advice.  Maybe I do overstep my bounds.   And maybe I sometimes get more concerned over being right than actually what IS right.  And for that... I’m sorry.”

“I’m sorry about the list.  It’s a silly stupid thing I do sometimes when my job tells me I have to hurt someone that I don’t want to hurt.  You weren’t meant to see it, and I should have punched Pollaski in the face the moment he started reciting it on Twitter.   And I’m... I’m sorry about Chomps.  I’ve lost pets before, and I know how much it hurts.  I should have  been a shoulder for you to cry on instead of telling you, ‘I told you so.’   That was pretty low of me, and I’m sorry that it hurt you.”

“And I’m sorry about what happened in Vegas.  I’m sure it’s been a really difficult week for you, Cara, with all that.   Gavin seems like a nice guy, and... I just hope everything works out okay in the end.”


Short pause.

“You know, in a way, Cara... actually in a lot of ways,  I admire you.  You’re impulsive, headstrong... maybe even a litle reckless at times.  But you like to live in the moment.  Take advantage of the situation.  I... I’ve never really been able to do that.  Maybe I should... because the one time I actually did something impulsive, I ended up stumbling into this strange, bizarre, frustrating, yet ultimately wonderful sport.”

“And, yet, despite us being opposite in so many ways, Cara... we’re still friends.  And one things friends do, is they tell hard truths, whether or not the other wants to hear it.  And that’s why I’m so adamantly against the Ultraviolence Division, and I will NOT be apologetic for saying it.  Because I have SEEN what things like that have done to so many people in this business... including my friends.  One of my best friends put a gun in his mouth and pulled the trigger because he’d been so torn up from it that he couldn’t even move anymore.  I don’t want that to happen to you, Cara.  I don’t want you dead or crippled by thirty-five because of this.”


She bites her lip, obviously emotional.

“And you survived Camilla.  Yes, you did.  But that’s one match.  Your next one sees you facing a crazy sadomasochist in a match where to win, you have to set someone on fire.  ON FIRE, Cara!  And what’s after that?  Thumbtacks?  Razorwire?  Exploding Cage Death Matches?  Hardcore War?  We all saw what happened the last time one of THOSE happened.  These are matches that even if you DO win, you lose.  What friend WOULDN’T worry about you being involved in all that?”

“But I never turned my back on you Cara.  No matter how much I hated it, I never walked away from your side.  I never interfered, and I certainly never tried to take the title myself to ‘save’ you from it.  I watched that match against Camilla... I spent every match praying that disaster would not strike.  And when you won... I was one of the first to congratulate you.  Even with all my doubts, I stood by you.  I never once threatened to walk away from our friendship, not even over this, and I resent the HELL out of any insinuation that I did.”


For the first time, Wendy actually looks hurt.  She takes a deep breath, calming herself down.

“It was never about me believing in you, Cara.  There’s nothing I don’t believe you can do, and there’s no one in this company I don’t believe you can beat, myself included.  It’s simply that I don’t see the rewards of the Ultraviolence Division coming anywhere close to the consequences.  But you’re right, that’s not my call to make.  It’s yours.  And save for verbal admonitions, which you are free to ignore, and have already, there’s nothing I can or will do to stop you.  All I can do is hope for the best, and that one of my best friends in this business comes back in one piece each and every night.  But no matter what, I won’t turn away from you.  That’s one promise I can make.”

Another pause, and Wendy takes a deep breath.

“So, let’s talk about tonight...”

“Tonight is a dream match for pretty much everyone involved.  It’s a dream match for me.  It’s a dream match for you.  It’s a dream match for the fans, the announcers, the girls in the back.  Everyone is looking forward to seeing this.  The expectations are high.   I’ve heard people predicting everything from the match of the year, to the greatest free-TV match in FFW history.  Needless to say, the shoes they’re cobbling for us are gonna be downright pretty tough to fill.”


She grins, and glances back over her shoulder at the monument.

“It’s a battle betwen the two niche champions, both of whom are versatile enough to compete well outside their own division.  Two women who are considered in the top 10 in the company.  And it’ll be the third time in a row I’m facing someone who’ll be holding a belt walking into the match, and there’s one more after.  If I can beat four sitting champions in a row over two months...”

“But for me, Cara, this isn’t even really about that. This isn’t about that stupid list, either.  You probably found more motivation from it than I did.  It’s not about any unofficial tournament, or which division has the better champion.  It’s not even about New Years Retribution for me.  There’s nothing I can take away from that match that I wish I’d done differently, and regardless of what my husband says... you did beat us fair and square.’

“I want to beat you, Cara, but it’s not for any of the above reasons.  It’s simply because I know how good you are in that ring.  You’re a measuring stick I can test myself on, far more than anyone else I’ve faced in a while.  You’re not willing to sit back and let someone else bash me like Desirae. You don’t resort to tricks like Starla.  You aren’t petulant like Jo.  You aren’t apathetic like Whitley.  You’re not insufferable like Kitty, or completely insane like Jennifer, or two-faced like Crystal.  You just are that good, and that’s why I need to win this.  I don’t feel this way about facing many people.   In fact, the only one comes to mind is my husband.”


Regardless of what anyone might think of Terrence Thompson, it’s evident Wendy thinks this is high praise.

“I never could beat Terrence... not in anyway I could be proud of, at least.   I know it sounds weird, but that’s always been one of my big frustrations about my career.   I don’t want to let that happen with you, too, Cara.  I have to be able to beat SOME of the people I respect and admire the most.  You’re not going to become another private frustration, Cara.  Not if I can help it.”

“So bring everything you have, Cara.  I’m looking forward to this.  And when we fly out tomorrow morning, we’re going to leave behind a Spain that truly, honestly knows what pro wrestling should be about.  But just be warned, Cara.  Everything you have, I will counter.  And as long as I’m able to move, you will not be able to win.  Because just remember how meteorology works, Cara.”


Wendy smiles, and stands up straight. 

“The hurricane may be destructive and fierce, but it’s still the breeze that pushes it straight back out to sea.”

Chuckling quietly to herself at her pun, Wendy turns and walks away, the scene fading.

No comments:

Post a Comment