Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Episode 124: The Unlikely Team (w/Isabella Pazzini)

We find ourselves on the beautiful waterfront in Baltimore, Maryland. Isabella felt a certain sense of peace and tranquility here, following her exasperation with her husband from earlier. But Isabella was not just here to get away from her husband and his sodding bus. She was due to meet a woman that she was scheduled to appear with at Byte This in tag team action. Now where was she? Isabella started looking around for red and white, two colours that were always very prominent when it came to Wendy Briese. And sure enough, she saw what was either Wendy Briese, or a vanilla ice cream topped with strawberry sauce. As it was wearing clothes, and ice creams didn’t tend to, her money was on Wendy. She walked across, waving to Wendy as she noticed her.

Wendy had been leaning against the railing, watching the boat traffic, but turned as she saw Isabella approaching, giving a slight smile that to Isabella didn’t seem all that enthusiastic. But, at least she was here, Isabella reasoned. Given that the first words Wendy had ever said to her was what a horrible person she was for slashing Rori Snyder, it was definitely a step in the right direction. Isabella returned the smile, and Wendy leaned back against the railing.

Wendy: You were supposed to be here ten minutes ago. I was starting to think you weren’t coming.

Isabella shrugged.

Isabella: Sorry, I was having a little tiff with my husband. He bought a bus, well... he says he did, and... you know what, I’d rather not get into it. The whole situation is a bit messy.

She joined Wendy at the railing.

Isabella: Wow, it’s nice here.

Wendy: Baltimore’s one of my favorite places to go. It’s an old city... at least by American standards. One of the biggest cities of colonial times. I like that they still keep some of that element

She pointed to a small tavern by the waterfront, which certainly looked as it was in the three hundred year old range. Wendy turned back to Isabella with a grin.

Wendy: Besides, there’s nowhere else you can get a better crab dinner than Chesapeake Bay.

Isabella: Crab? Not a fan.

She grinned.

Isabella: You come here a lot then? I’ll be honest, aside from New York & Los Angeles, I know very little about the cities we visit. Travelling seems like such a blur.

Wendy snorted.

Wendy: We’ve tried not to make it that way. I’ve discovered that if you treat your travels like an adventure, and try to enjoy the fare wherever you go, it stops being such a blur. It’s why we had the RV... so we could take our time when we could. Enjoy the country side. Of course... now that Theresa’s in school, it’s impractical, but it was fun when we could.

Isabella nodded.

Isabella: I guess that’s where we differ. I travel everywhere in the back of my Maybach, which pretty much isolates me from the outside world. Sure, it’s luxurious, but maybe I am missing something.

She looked thoughtful for a second.

Isabella: I guess that’s just another way in which we are different, isn’t it?

Wendy nodded, and looked out at the water, where a tugboat was leading a rather large freighter through the harbor.

Wendy: I learned long ago that if everyone was the same, this would be one boring sport we were in.

Isabella: That’s a nice way of looking at it.

She basked in the sunlight for a moment.

Isabella: So... you don’t trust me, huh?

There was a wry smile on her face as she said this.

Wendy, for her part, burst out laughing, shaking her head as she did.

Wendy: Ah, my, but those camera’s get everywhere, don’t they.

She sobered quickly, and looked directly at Isabella.

Wendy: No, I don’t. At least not yet. I’m not stupid Isabella, despite the seemingly endless assertions of my rivals. I’ve been around this business long enough to know that many people in this sport are chameleons. They’ll take whatever attitude they feel is the best way to get ahead, and the moment the opportunity presents itself, they’ll sell their best friend or partner for a chance at gold, or a handful of dollars. And I think that past results are an indication of future performance. And, I’m sorry Isabella, but your past...

She trailed off, although the unspoken words rang in Isabella’s head just as loudly as if Wendy had screamed them into a megaphone. Isabella was silent for a few moments.

Isabella: That’s fair I guess...

She gazed off into the distance.

Isabella: You see Wendy, I feel like there’s a monster within me. I try to keep it dormant, but it appears from time to time. Camilla says I’ve killed it, but I’m not so sure. I don’t blame you for not trusting me. I don’t trust myself, if I’m honest. I have, as you didn’t say but clearly felt, done some horrendous things in my time in FFW. But...

There was a long pause.

Isabella: I don’t want this monster anymore. I’m scared of it.

Wendy sat quietly, for a long time, biting her lower lip, her eyes measuring up Isabella in apparaisal. Finally she spoke.

Wendy: There’s no monster in you. It’s a temper, and believe me, everyone has one of those. Nasty, onery things they are too, trust me, I know. You just have to find a way to control it.

Isabella: Which isn’t easy when I’m suffering five on one beatdowns. That pisses me off.

Wendy nodded slowly, biting her lip again, an indication, Isabella realized, that she was debating on whether or not to say something, or at least how to phrase it. Finally, she spoke.

Wendy: That wasn’t right, what happened. You didn’t deserve that... no one did. Had it been Kara, or Scarlett, or even Rori, someone with a legitimate gripe against you... at least I could have seen why. But that... those were just Samantha’s latest in a long line of hired goons. That’s how she operates, as you yourself can well attest.

Isabella: I... I just don’t get it, Wendy. She was my friend. We’ve held tag team championships together. She was the maid of honour at my wedding. Why? Why would she turn her back on me like that? Why would she get a group of bitches, two of whom I also considered close friends, to beat the ever loving hell out of me? I... I don’t understand...

There was a definite sadness in Isabella’s voice as she spoke.

Wendy breathed in deep, and exhaled slowly, looking back at Isabella- not without sympathy.

Wendy: You knew her better than I did, so I can only guess. But Samantha doesn’t strike me as the type of person who has, or wants, genuine friends. She cares about her money, and her power, and anything that doesn’t help her get what she wants isn’t useful to her. You simply outlived your usefulness.

Wendy sighed sadly herself, and looked back into the water.

Wendy: Look at Jo. It’s the same thing. Samantha’s wining her, and dining her. They’re going shopping on Rodeo Drive, going to nightclubs. Samantha bought her. Plain and simple. And who’s going to say no when the boss of the company is lavishing that much attention on you?

Isabella: True...

She looked thoughtful again.

Isabella; But why do they think they’ll be treated any differently than I was? I don’t get it Wendy. I think you’re right. They’re just goons. She doesn’t want real friends. It’s just...

Isabella sniffled a little bit, clearly really upset.

Isabella: She told me my best friend was using me. And I believed her. And I killed dead a friendship I’d had for seven years. Seven years...

She rubbed her eyes.

Isabella: I’m such an idiot...

Wendy: You’re not the first, you know. I’ve seen it happen more than I care to admit. Weren’t Starla and Scarlett friends at one time? And it’s not just this business either. Everywhere you go, there are people who think this is all just a game, and we’re simply pieces to move around a board to help them win. But Samantha... she’s one of the most ruthless I’ve seen.

Isabella: I believed her bullshit Wendy, I really did. She has a way with words, she can make you believe anything. And even as her friend, she still maintains that fear factor. She’s...

It seemed Isabella was struggling to say what she wanted to say.

Isabella: She’s a horrible human being. And I... I can’t let her hurt more people, Wendy. I can’t. Someone has to stop her...

Wendy: The only way you could truly hurt Samantha Star is by taking away her base of power. And that’s this company. And I bet every single one of us could go join SVW, and Samantha wouldn’t bat an eye. She’d just hire more girls. Of course, they wouldn’t be as good as us, but...

Wendy flashed a small grin

Wendy: Samantha thinks FFW’s success is because of her, and her alone. You’ve heard the way she talks to the fans, or to us. There’s no gratitude there. We could all walk out tomorrow, and Samantha would just keep going with other people. And, I hate to say it, but the fans wouldn’t know, or care, about the difference.

Isabella sighed.

Isabella: You’re probably right. But I can tell you first hand this company’s success has nothing to do with her, more or less. Cody does all the damn work. Samantha just lives the jet set lifestyle, and throws her weight around when someone annoys her.

She shook her head.

Isabella: I’ve been on the wrong side of Samantha, many years ago. She screwed me out of a championship. She’s always been devious as hell. But you know what? I’m not going to stand for it this time Wendy. I’m not just going to lay down and let her kick me in the dirt.

She looked back into Wendy’s eyes.

Isabella: I want to fight.

Wendy smiled ruefully.

Wendy: Against six, and who knows how many more Samantha could recruit to her side with just a smile and the signing of a check? That’s suicide.

Isabella: On paper, it seems it. But do you think this group is just going to sit back and relax? There will be other people on their hit list. The more people they anger, the more people may join my cause. Plus... I mean, people can see what’s happening. It’s not right Wendy. Besides, I know from experience. When I brought in the Power Trip in 2010, people moved and teamed to counteract them. If we can’t get to Samantha, that’s fine, but SOMEONE has to stop this group running riot over everyone...

Wendy looked over, a frown on her face.

Wendy: And you want me to help you, is that it?

Isabella’s expression was hard to read.

Isabella: You’re pretty much the only person in this company with a working moral compass. You know what Samantha’s trying to pull isn’t right. I mean, take your ladder match for the Evolution Championship. Do you think she’s going to sit back and risk Colleen losing the belt?

Isabella shook her head.

Isabella: It’s up to you what you do. Maybe I’m stupid, and maybe it is career suicide. But she’s caused me a lot of pain, both physical and emotional, in the last few weeks. Besides... I’ve done some terrible things. I owe this to the roster.

Wendy scoffed.

Wendy: And how am I to know this isn’t a power play of your own? Create your own faction, stick it to the boss lady. Maybe even come up with some scheme to wrestle power from her. I’ve seen that one a couple too many times as well.

Isabella smirked.

Isabella; I’m a wrestler, not an owner. I wouldn’t be able to run FFW, I am nowhere near wealthy enough. The idea of a faction sounds fun though. A group of freedom fighters!

She chuckled.

Isabella: But in a way, your point is why I need you. I need a level head to make sure I don’t get... carried away. I have a habit of doing that.

Wendy chewed her lip again.

Wendy: I’m not a rebel, Isabella. I’m not the kind of person who stirs up stuff, sticks it to the man. I just want to go out there, compete, do the best I can, and maybe win a few titles. If I wanted to start a revolution, I’d move over to Ireland.

A small chuckle.

Wendy: And I have a daughter to think of. You saw what Rose did to Michelle. Colleen can dislocate- or break- anything if she can get the right leverage. And Jo’s young, ambitious, and seemingly incapable of thinking for herself. That’s a dangerous combination. I do what you ask me to do, and the next thing I know, I could be in the hospital, permanently crippled, or worse. I don’t want Theresa to have to deal with that.

Isabella nodded, with an air of defeat.

Isabella: You’re right... I shouldn’t have asked. Still, no harm done, right?

She smiled at Wendy, but it seemed a touch forced.

Wendy nodded, and looked away, at the tugboat that was now almost out of the harbor. Isabella turned to go.

Wendy: Dammit...

Isabella, mouth agape, turned back to Wendy. She had never heard Wendy swear before. In fact, she had always joked that Wendy didn’t know HOW to swear...

Wendy: If you’re serious about this, if you genuinely are trying to make FFW a better place, and this isn’t some cute little power play you’re putting on, then count me in.

Isabella: ...Really?

Her smile gradually became a little more genuine.

Isabella: You have my word. I have nothing to gain by this. I just want to redeem myself, and prove to my little girl... and myself, that I’m not a horrible person after all. Thank you Wendy.

Wendy smiled, shrugging her shoulders.

Wendy: What kind of delusional self-righteous know-it-all white-knight fair play obsessed prude would I be if I didn’t put my money where my mouth was when it actually mattered?

Isabella laughed.

Isabella: Now that’s what I like to hear|!

Seemingly caught up in the moment, she gave Wendy a friendly squeeze. Wendy hesitated for a second, then embraced Isabella back. The two suddenly broke apart when a loud shrieking buzzing came from Wendy’s pocket. Wendy winced, and pulled out her phone, shutting the annoying noise off. She looked apologetically at Isabella.

Wendy: I’m sorry, I have to go or I’ll miss my flight. Just, give me a call soon, okay? I think you and I have a match we need to get ready for... partner.

Isabella grinned.

Isabella: Absolutely! I’ll see you soon.

As Wendy made her way off, Isabella smiled to herself. Somehow, the dark clouds that had enveloped her life had a little shine of silver around the edges suddenly...

No comments:

Post a Comment