Wednesday, September 7, 2011

EPISODE 123: Peek-a-Boo

Saturday August 27, 2011
FedEx Forum- Backstage Hallway
Memphis, Tennessee
10:39 PM Local Time


I was breathing heavily as I pushed my way through the curtain, into the backstage area. Breaking Point had just gone to a commercial, but the activity of the stagehands was fervent, as they were in full preparation for the next segment of the show. I glanced at a small schedule that had been taped to the wall just to the side of the entrance- the paper already was scribbled over and re-written in several areas as the usual chaos that was an FFW show inevitably cancelled some plans, and reformed others. For just a second, I bore a massive amount of respect for the poor show director, who had to vainly keep the tempers and schemes of fifty wrestlers in check- at least to the point where we could actually get a coherent television show instead of three hours of complete chaos.

Already “MATCH: Kassandra vs. Carter” had a massive check mark placed next to it, signifying that the segment was over, and on to the next one... I grimaced as I read the line beneath.

“INTERVIEW: Heavensent & Hellbound”

Great... that meant that Rori Snyder and Madison Knight would be here any minute, preparing to go on stage and no doubt incite the fans into a riot with their idiotic egotistical diatribes. Under normal circumstances, I could barely stomach the duo (who could, really?), but at the moment, as full of ire and adrenaline as I was at the moment, the mere sight of Rori Snyder’s perpetually smug face would drive me to ram my fist into it.

I briskly walked off, narrowly avoiding one of the camera men, apparently rushing back to his post after stealing away to the restroom during the break. I turned down the first hall I came to, heading deeper and deeper into the backstage area.

As soon as I was out of everyone’s way, I leaned back against the wall, closing my eyes and taking a deep breath, trying to calm myself down. I had warned Lucas Peek several times that if he made the decision to become a part of Breaking Point tonight, especially where his ex-girlfriend Lilah Carter was concerned, he would answer to me. Lucas had made good on his threat, and I had made good on my promise.

The experience had left me both upset and full of adrenaline- never a good combination in anyone. Part of me was tempted to not even wait until the next Aggression. Run out onto the concourse, and find that creep, and teach him a lesson right then and there. But that calm, rational side of me was preventing me from doing it. I was a wrestler, not a streetfighter, and we were going to settle this MY way.

“There you are,” I glanced over my shoulder at the voice, smiling shakily as he approached me. “Having a fun night?”

I grimaced, and shot a glare at my husband, receiving only that insufferable grin of his in return. Finally, I sighed. “I warned him. I said if he got involved...”

“No need to explain to me,” Terry replied with a laugh. “That was awesome. Did you see the expression on Lucas’ face? It was like he didn’t think you were going to do anything and suddenly, you were out there screaming at him. The fans loved it too. And I don’t know if you told me this, but you look super sexy when you’re pissed.”

It wasn’t the first time Terrence had ever said that, and, like always, the remark was punctuated with a kiss. Normally, I gave him a death-glare in retaliation, but this time, I was just to tired to react. Now that the adrenaline was wearing off, I felt drained, and wanted nothing more than to get out of the arena and back to our RV.

“She didn’t have a chance, Terry. She was worn out from that match... it’s the second time that creep preyed on her when she was vulnerable. I couldn’t let him hurt her. Not like that. But, God. It’s going to be that much more enjoyable to put Peek into his place at Aggression.”

Terrence released me from his embrace, and looked down at me skeptically. “You’re really going to go through with that?” he asked.

“Of course I am,” I replied, not without a hint of irritation. “I accepted Mr. Gambini’s invitation, and I plan on being there. In fact, I’m heading to Baltimore tomorrow to appear on Aggression, and make sure that Lucas knows full well what he’s about to go up against.”

“It’s weird,” Terrence mused, scratching his chin. “Gambini doesn’t strike me as someone who really cares that deeply about a domestic disturbance amongst a couple of his talent, especially if money’s to be made off of it. And if he did, why wouldn’t he have one of his own girls whip Peek’s ass? That Megan Parker kid, or Tabatha?”

“I don’t know, Terry He made the offer, I accepted. Besides, cross-promotional matches are always big news. It’ll incite people to watch his show. And it’s not like I’m a ratings curse... my appearances in FFW thus far have been very well-received.”

“Yeah, you’re turning into one of FFW’s top draws,” Terrence said, shrugging. “In fact, you’re in one of the top billed matches for the pay-per-view that takes place twelve days after that Aggression. And you’re walking alone, into a company that has a notoriously unscrupulous owner... a company that’s been embarrassed on several occasions by Samantha Star. And there’s no warning light flashing in your head?”

I couldn’t help but laugh incredulously. “What, Gambini’s luring me into this company as a trap, to embarrass Samantha Star?”

Terrence didn’t share my amusement. “That’s what I’m afraid of.”

It was just too ridiculous a notion. “If that’s the case, he’s picking the wrong girl to start the war with. I doubt Samanatha Star would rally the troops for me. I’m hardly one of her ‘chosen’. Besides, this match isn’t about FFW versus SVW. I’m not going there to make SVW look bad. I have no problem with them... heck, my manager and good friend wrestles there!”

“No problem, eh? So what about the fifty or so times you complained to me about what a disgrace the T&A Championship is?”

Even as I turned to fixate a death-glare on him, Terrence was grinning. “Okay, fine,” I admitted. “The T&A title is a complete mockery of the sport. But at least it’s honest that it’s a farce, unlike some of the other so-called women’s divisions out there. And besides, you can at least rise above it there, like Tiffany, Stacey, and Valerie had managed to do. I’m not saying SVW is perfect, or even the company for me. If it was, I’d be there instead of here”

“Well, you might see it that way,” Terrence pressed. “But I’m sure of it- Gambini’s not about to let some girl from his biggest rival walk into his company, and beat the hell out of one of his wrestlers- no matter how low everyone’s opinion of him is.” He paused for a long moment. “I think you should reconsider this.”

“Absolutely not,” I said fiercely, looking at my husband incredulously. “I don’t back out of matches. I’m not a coward, Terrence. I accepted, and I’ll be there on the twelfth.”

“But...”

“Enough Terry!” I snapped, my patience finally running out. “Remember what we agreed? Your world, my world. No interference.”

“Doesn’t mean I can’t give you advice,” Terrence persisted. “Lord knows you’ve given me enough over the past few months.”

I shot him a severe look, but I couldn’t help but smile at that. “I suppose,” I said. “I guess this just means you care about me just as much as I care about you.”

“Undoubtedly” Terrence replied, leaning in again to kiss me.

I eagerly returned the kiss, then pulled away as I stifled a yawn. “Ugh, I can’t believe how tired I am,” I lamented. “Let’s go back to the RV.”

Terrence shrugged. “Okay, but Pollaski’s out commentating on the Stryfe-MacKenzie match right now. Should we wait for him?”

“We’ll text him, tell him he can take a cab home,” I replied, stifling another yawn. I really was drained. Besides, Isabella was supposed to take to the ring afterwards, and the last thing I really wanted to do was hear my new tag partner talk. I wasn’t sure what it was, but there was just something about my tag partner for Byte This that was rubbing me the wrong way. There’d be no harrm in leaving early, and avoiding any more undue stress.

My husband glanced skeptically at me, but he wasn’t really in any position to object to me making an early night of it. “Alright, let’s go,” he said to me, putting his arm around me and steering me towards the exit.




Wednesday August 31, 2011
The Nest- Living Room
Indianapolis, Indiana
11:25 AM Local Time


“So, Lucas... are you paying attention now?”

The scene opens in the living room of the next, upon the couch that Wendy always seems to be sitting on in her ‘at-home’ promos. She’s dressed relatively casual today- a dark green t-shirt and a pair of jeans, but most telling is the rigid posture and expression on Wendy’s face. Needless to say, Wendy’s looking a bit annoyed at the moment.

“How did it feel when you jumped that barricade and attacked Lilah Carter yet again when she was at her most vulnerable? Did it make you feel special? Are you proud of yourself now?”

A snort of derision.

“Or are you now realizing how you’ve proven what a coward you are, when you tucked your tail and ran at the first sign of resistance?”

Wendy bites her lower lip, and shakes her head disdainfully

“I wish you had taken a swing at me, Lucas. Showed some actual guts for once in your life, and gone after me. I would have loved to emasculated you right there in front of the FFW faithful, and shown the world just how pathetic you truly are.”

Another shake of the head.

“But no, you didn’t. You ran away, just like I knew you were going to. You seem to be good at running, Lucas. It’s almost a shame you chose to be a professional wrestler instead of a track star. The way you run, I’m sure you’d give Usain bolt a run for his money.”

Wendy sits up a little straighter, her emerald eyes blazing.

“Well, next Monday, you’re not going to be running anymore Lucas. There’s nowhere else for you to go, and nothing else for you to do but stand there in the ring and face me. And believe me, Lucas, I’ve watched you in that ring, and I’ve paid attention to the tricks, and you can rest assured that whatever madcap strategy you try to pull out of your proverbial sleeve, I will ensure it fails, just like I ensured that your attack on Lilah Carter would fail back at Breaking Point.”

A small scoff, that almost sounds like a laugh, and again Wendy shakes her head.

“And this isn’t even about revenge for Lilah. This isn’t about me being a white knight here. If Lilah had been unable or unwilling to rise to the task, then yes, I would have gladly taken up that banner. But she’s got you two weeks after I do, and there is nobody in the world more suitable for avenging Lilah Carter than Lilah herself. It will be most entertaining to watch her drive that final nail into the coffin you’ve placed your credibility in. Your days are numbered, Lucas, and come the twenty-sixth, I’ll be more than happy when that number hits zero.”

A deep breath.

“As for me, Lucas? Well, I might not be an avenging Valkyrie of retribution, but I’m still looking forward to going into SVW, taking advantage of Mr. Gambini’s invitation, and leaving you sprawled out on the ground in the middle of the ring. Because your constant self-aggrandizing clueless nature has gone beyond annoying. Never in my life have I seen anyone thinking so highly of themselves with so little to back it up. And your chauvinistic nature, quite honesty, it offends me.”

Wendy seems utterly oblivious to the fact that eighty percent of her vocabulary in this promo is going to go clear over Lucas’ head.

“I think by now we’ve all figured out that I don’t take well to being offended.”

A small smirk.

“So, Lucas, I hope you’re training hard, and getting yourself prepared. Because in less than two weeks, I’m going to cut you down to size, and leave no doubt in the world just what type of a man, and a wrestller you really are. And I’ll be one of the first to stand there and applaud two weeks later, when Lilah Carter finally wipes your putrid stain of a career from the wrestling landscape for good. And once it’s all said and done, I hope one thing rings in your mind.”

Wendy starts to stand up.

“You should have stayed in your seat, and hid behind that barricade, just like you’ve hiden behind everything else in your life.”

Wendy briskly walks out of the picture, and the scene fades.

No comments:

Post a Comment