Saturday, August 20, 2011

EPISODE 121: There Goes My Life...

From the private journal of Wendy Briese

15 August AD 2011

And so once again, things change.

Ever since Terrence and I returned to wrestling seventeen months ago, we’ve lived a life constantly on the go. Running from one show to the next, coming back home, only for just a couple days rest, before it’s back on the road to the next one. It was tough, especially at first, but the addition of the RV made things so much easier. After all- when you can sleep in a familiar bed each night, and wake up and eat breakfast at the same table each morning, it never truly feels like you’ve left home.

But, of course, I’d worry most about how Theresa would handle it. She’s done remarkably well, given the circumstances. I think part of it can be owed to the fact that my little girl is so bright, and tough, and eager for adventure. And Terrence and I have done everything we could to make the trips as exciting for her as they were necessary for us. The Grand Canyon Skywalk. The Santa Monica Pier. The Atlanta Aquarium. Wrigley Field. Times Square. Theresa’s been more places and seen more things in her first five years than many get to in a lifetime

Tomorrow, that all comes to an end.

Ever since I returned to wrestling, the knowledge that sooner or later my daughter would start school has both excited me and filled me with dread. Obviously, the beginning of school is a notable milestone- it marks the end of early childhood, and the beginning of a thirteen year process designed to transform the American child into an adult ready to take on the world. But it also marks the end of an era for us. An era where our family could live together on the road.

I’ve wrestled with how to handle this change as fiercely as I’ve wrestled any opponent inside that ring. I thought about retiring, but ultimately decided that doing so was unnecessary, especially considering the relatively light schedule that FFW offers. I also thought about tutoring- either Cassie or I (or both) getting qualified as a homeschooler, and educating my daughter that way. But I don’t want Theresa to grow up in a bubble. She needs to interact with other children, and see what the world is like outside of our house and RV. She wouldn’t be able to do that tucked away inside our house.

All the decisions Terrence and I have had to make have been reeling. Ultimately, we chose to send her to AM kindergarten at the public school. And even then, I’m wondering, did we make the best decision? Should I have sent her to St. Anthony’s? All-day kindergarten? Did I make the right decisions concerning Theresa’s education?

I guess only time will tell. Tomorrow, it won’t be about whether I made the right decision or not. It’s about turning the page in Theresa’s life, and sending her off as she embarks on that wonderful journey, one that will conclude just before her eighteenth birthday.

And the greatest honor of all is knowing that I’ll be there as well, to help and guide her on the road.

-WCBT

==========================

Tuesday August 16, 2011
The Nest- Entryway
Indianapolis, Indiana
7:34 AM Local Time

“Hold still, Theresa. Just for a second. And smile!”

I steadied the camera I was holding in my hand, and aimed it directly at my daughter, who stood patiently, her back against the wall. A bright flash and a click later, and I glanced down at the viewscreen of the camera. “Oh, you look beautiful...” I breathed. Indeed, in her navy blue short-sleeved polo shirt and pants, and shiny white tennis shoes, with her long brown hair held back by a matching headband, my daughter looked absolutely radiant.

Theresa, of course, only shrugged at my praise, merely glad to have the picture taking ritual over and done with. She tugged at the small black backpack, and waited patiently as I continued to look at the picture.

“Okay, gotta go.” Terrence walked into the hallway behind us, his voice impatient. “State law says that if she’s late on the first day, they get to keep her.”

“Terrence...” I warned, looking at him in exasperation. I looked my husband up and down, and frowned. “We’re supposed to bring two boxes of Kleenex. Where are they?”

“Already in the car,” Terrence said patiently.

“Okay, and we have the check for her supplies here... Theresa, do you have your backpack?”

“Its on her back...”

“Okay, and I have the camera. Is there anything else we need? I knew I should have made a checklist...”

“Wendy,” Terrence said, his voice a mixture of calm and irritation. “She’s not going to boarding school or anything. It’s a three hour kindergarten class. One that we’re going to be late for if we don’t like, leave now.”

“O... okay.” I finally said, breathing a sigh of frustration. It really felt like I was forgetting something. Or maybe I was just being paranoid again. “Alright, let’s go. You ready, Theresa?”

Theresa nodded, and the three of us turned, and walked out of the foyer, to the door, and outside. It was a perfect morning for school to begin- the sun peeking over the trees, only a couple puffy white clouds hanging in the aquamarine colored sky. The temperature was in the lower sixties- cool, but with hints that it was going to be fairly warm come afternoon.

As usual, Terrence’s cherry-red 1971 Dodge Charger sat in the driveway, it’s bumper having been reattached since Unstoppable 2. However, there was still a dent in the hood from where Shane had been sent flying onto the hood. Terrence looked at the car, and grimaced.

“That reminds me, have you talked to Rori yet? About the damages she caused to my car?”

I snorted, and shook my head. “Yes,” I sighed, as I opened the door, and helped Theresa climb into the backseat. “She was fairly... unreceptive of the idea of paying damages.”

“Is that so?” Terrence snorted, climbing into the car and taking the wheel. “Maybe I should have a little talk with her myself.”

“Good luck with that,” I muttered, as Terrence started the engine, popped the Charger in reverse, backed out of the driveway, and began the drive up Wabash Circle to leave our neighborhood.

“So, you excited for school?” I asked after a couple minutes silent, looking at our daughter in the back seat. Theresa was looking out the window, watching the houses, parked cars, and trees go by, her face blank. Finally, she turned away.

“Yeah, I guess,” she said, with all the enthusiasm of finding out she had to go to a dentist’s office.

“What’s wrong, sweetie?” I asked, surprised by Theresa’s lack of excitement.

My little girl sat silent for a couple seconds, pouting. Then she finally looked at me. “I don’t really wanna go. I wanna stay home and be with you and daddy!”

I smiled consolingly. “I’m sorry hon. But all children need to go to school and get an education. You’re no different.”

“But what if no one likes me? What if the other kids make fun of me, or the teacher hates me, and tries to drive me out?”

I grimaced. “Theresa, your teacher isn’t going to drive you out, and she won’t hate you. Your father met Ms. Lawlor last night, and she was a very nice woman. She wants to help you to learn, okay?”

It was true enough, while Theresa and I were in Greenville ‘babysitting’ Pollaski’s newest side project, Terrence had gone alone to the kindergarten orientation. He had told me that Theresa’s teacher was a fifteen year veteran, and had been very friendly and outgoing with the parents- a fact that had made me sit easier as I prepared to turn my daughter over to her.

“And as far as people liking you go... what’s there not to like?” Terrence interjected. “Just be yourself, treat other’s with respect, and you’ll be fine!”

Theresa nodded, but she looked unsure. Terrence chuckled. “Come on, Terr. What did I tell you was all you needed to do to pass kindergarten?”

My daughter frowned, thinking, then tried reciting. “Don’t hit anyone. Don’t eat the school supplies. And any funny changes we make to the school song, make sure a grown-up doesn’t hear us singing them.”

I shot a sidelong glare at Terrence. “Really?”

Terrence shrugged, as we crossed Michigan Avenue, getting closer to the school. “It’s a pretty stupid song.” he said. “Now, look, Theresa. Kindergarten is easy. Just do what the teacher asks you to, and be respectful, and you’ll be fine.”

“Okay,” Theresa said sullenly. “I’ll miss you guys though.”

“We’ll miss you too, honey,” I said, smiling. “But its only three hours. You’ll be having so much fun, it’ll be over before you know it!”

“There it is!” Terrence announced pointing off to the right.

I looked over, and swallowed hard. I had seen College Park Elementary before, but never so active. Children, laughing with each other, were heading towards the school from all directions, while a row of over a dozen buses dispensed more kids. Even more were emerging from cars, dropped off by their parents, just like Theresa would be. I was even more reassured when I saw that Theresa was hardly the most apprehensive one. One little boy was clutching his mother’s legs, crying, while the poor woman, and a member of the school staff tried to pry him off.

Terrence found a spot, and threw the car into park. “Okay, here we are!”

I opened the door, and helped Theresa out of the car. “Go stand on the sidewalk, sweetie, I want to take a picture of you and your new school.”

Theresa obeyed, and did her best to put on a smile, although the morning sun made her squint into the camera. Still, it was a beautiful picture- one I couldn’t wait to email to Nana back in Ireland. I set the camera down, and knelt on the ground, throwing my arms wide. Theresa ran in, and we embraced. “Be good, okay?” I muttered in her ear. “You know I love you, and I wouldn’t let you come here if I didn’t think you’d enjoy it. Okay?”

Theresa nodded, and I let her go, standing up. Terrence merely patted her on the head, and said “You’ll have fun, kid.” At that moment, the bell rang. I felt for my camera, to take a picture of Theresa heading into the school, but realized I had left it on the ground. I bent down to retreive it, and when I looked up, Theresa was gone, into the maelstrom of students.

Oh God... it suddenly hit me in a wave of emotion. My little girl was gone!

Terrence noticed me quickly trying to wipe away moisture from my eyes, and put his arm around me holding me close. “You okay?”

“Yeah,” I sniffed. “Just... she grew up so quick.”

“Yup,” Terrence agreed, patting me on the shoulder. “Come on. We’ve got three hours. Let’s hit Starbucks up for some fraps.”

I nodded. “That’d be fine. I could use some sugar.”

Terrence quickly hopped to the other side of the car, and we both got in, as the other cars and buses surrounding us did likewise. Terrence reached in, and started the ignition, as the radio came on.

There goes my life....
There goes my future, my ev-*CLICK*

Both Terrence and I lunged for the radio’s power button, nearly jamming our fingers on it. I glanced at the Charger’s clock- it was exactly eight. I looked over at my husband.

“I think they did that on purpose.”





Thursday August 18, 2011
Daniel Pollaski's Saturn
Near Lewisberg, Ohio
3:14 PM Local Time

[It’s a good thing that FFW video transmissions don’t include smells, because otherwise fading in on Daniel Pollaski’s 2002 Saturn LS would be enough to cause massive illness amongst the FFW faithful. If you need any inclination- notice the half a dozen air fresheners hanging from the rearview mirror at the top of the shot, as the dashboard mounted camera looks back on the car’s occupants. The angle is just wide enough to where we can see both Wendy and Pollaski, the former sitting shotgun, looking at her Droid, the latter driving. And eating what appears to be a Rice Krispy treat, as they make the relatively short three hour drive from Indy to Columbus]

[But since you didn’t click the play button here to watch Pollaski nom-nom, your attention is probably more focused on the redhead. Given the intent look on her face, she’s watching a video, and, by the sounds that were coming out of the phone’s speakers, its likely Crystal Hilton’s latest promo. Wendy doesn’t exactly look amused. Finally, the video ends, and Wendy flips off her phone]

Wendy: Well, that’s nice...

Pollaski: Hmmm?

[Obviously Pollaski wasn’t listening. Although, to be fair, there’s a lot of crunching in a Rice Krispy treat]

Wendy: Oh, just... for all the ‘You and I could be great friends, let’s go shopping’ malarkey she feeds me on Twitter, Crystal Hilton doesn’t seem to have too much of a problem taking me to task in a video...

Pollaski: Hmmm?

[Wendy looks slightly annoyed by this]

Wendy: Were you even listening?

Pollaski: I was trying to. But your phone’s not very loud, and I was eating a Rice Krispy treat. Those are pretty tough to hear over, snap crackle pop and all...

[Told ya]

Wendy: Well, she takes one look at Belladonna’s hair color, somehow associates it to me, and says she’s going to beat Belldonna’s brains because she sees my face when she looks at hers. I think she might be taking that loss to me a bit harder than we originally thought.

Pollaski: You worried?

[Wendy pauses, and it’s fairly obvious that the answer is ‘yes’, if just for the fact that the last thing Wendy needs right now is a woman, especially one as dangerous as Crystal Hilton, having some sort of a vendetta against her. Of course, Wendy does what any good professional wrestler does when they’re asked if they’re worried/frightened. She lies]

Wendy: Not really. I mean, I beat her before, there’s absolutely nothing to suggest that I couldn’t do it again. Heck, I’m already facing her at Sin & Sacrifice, in a match where the prize is something ‘any member of the FFW roster would kill to have.’”

Pollaski: An orgy with the Kincaid brothers?

[A very long pause, and Wendy looks over at Pollaski, her mouth open in horror. Pollaski shrugs]

Pollaski: What? Like sixty percent of the fuckin’ roster is trying to get in at least one of their pants!

Wendy: Ugh! I mean... no offense to Cody, but.. UGH! Where do you even get these ideas?

Pollaski: I think Rice Krispy withdrawal. Speaking of which...

[Pollaski reaches to the side of his chair, and pulls out another Rice Krispy Treat. He opens the package, driving with his knees as he does so. Wendy does her best to talk over the rustling of the tinfoil]

Wendy: Anyways, I have no clue what it is. Maybe we’ll find out tonight. But whatever it is, it’s got to be huge, if they’re telling everyone about it this far away from the pay-per-view. They must be hoping that it’ll generate extra buys. At least I hope that’s the case...

Pollaski: Whoo-hoo! You’re marketable!

[Wendy grins at her manager, although it quickly fades]

Wendy: Although... I’ve kind of noticed a trend. Haven’t you?

[Pollaski doesn’t answer. Mouth too full of Krispy. Wendy decides its better to just continue on her own.]

Wendy: But... it’s like every woman I’ve faced in this company has gone... well, nuts. I face Charity, and suddenly she starts thinking she’s a time traveler. I face Rori, and she completly goes mental. I face Crystal, and apparently she’s now viewing her opponents as Wendy Briese voodoo dolls. And I face Colleen, and then she’s cracking me over the head with a microphone. It’s kind of... well, messed up.’

Pollaski: What about Kaitlynn Stryfe? She’s hasn’t changed too much...

[A brief pause]

Wendy: To be fair, I think Kitty was pretty much bat-dung crazy to begin with...

Pollaski: So, you’re worried that little Miss Mercer could be next.

Wendy: Again, not really worried. But it’s definitely food-for-thought. If she’s willing to turn her back on her cousin the way she has, she certainly won’t have any issue doing something unscrupulous to me.

Pollaski: Heh, you sound bit annoyed with Whitley.

[Wendy pauses, for a second, and finally nods]

Wendy: You know what? I kind of am. Because this isn’t MY Carpe Diem match. This isn’t MY big opportunity tonight. It’s Whitley’s. I know my role in this match, and that’s gatekeeper. For me, I’m protecting my spot, and hoping I can prove enough to get into the Femme For All. But in management’s eyes, I’m Whitley’s test, someone for her to prove against whether or not she’s ready for the big time. But when it comes to who has the most to gain from this individual match, I don’t think it’s me.

[Pollaski’s slowed his chewing down, presumably the better to hear her with over the crunching. Wendy, for her part, looks out the window, and back]

Wendy: Her match, HER opportunity to shine, and in the past two-plus weeks since Unstoppable, all we’ve gotten is twenty-one tweets from her. No promos. No blogs, no television appearances. I hope she’s spent the last two weeks training her butt off, because there’s no way I’m going to let this girl ‘seize the day’ at my expense, when she hasn’t done ANYTHING to seize the last two weeks. And if she thinks waking up on the day of the match, and heading to Columbus is all she needs to do to cut it against me, she’s going to be in for a world of correction.

[Pollaski swallows the chunk of marshmallow he was gnawing on, but says nothing, although his facial expression indicates he’s slightly amused by Wendy’s outburst]

Wendy: And the Pick Your Poison Ladder match, all that whining. “I’m tired of not being taken seriously.” Like it’s the fault of her ring-costumes? I thought what she and Gretchen wore to the ring were fun, and it’s obvious the fans enjoyed them. And trust me, I know I don’t exactly have the most trendsetting, eye-catching ring gear myself- it’s not what you wear to the ring that determines whether or not you’re taken seriously. It’s how you conduct yourself, before, during, and after your matches.

[Pollaski’s fiddling with another wrapped Rice Krispy treat, the rustling of the rapper obviously getting on Wendy’s nerves. She reaches over, grabs the treat from her manager’s hands, and tosses it into the back seat. Pollaski cringes, and looks over at his wrestler]

Pollaski: Sorry.

Wendy: It’s fine. But instead of blaming her cousin, or her attire, or these ‘stupid barriers’ she thinks she has, maybe she should look in the mirror at herself. Because she can make nasty faces into the camera all she wants about how no one respects her, but until she walks into that ring, and does it, and does it the RIGHT way, all she’s going to be is a little girl with an increasingly bad attitude who makes nasty faces into cameras.

[Pollaski’s been trying to drive one handed, reaching into the back seat for the Rice Krispy treat. Seeing Wendy looking at him, Pollaski abandons the rescue mission, and turns his full attention back to the road.]

Pollaski: Sorry, but that was my last one!

Wendy: Just, try not to get us killed, okay? And I know you like Whitley, and there’s a lot of people out there who do as well. And i can see why- she’s got a streak of originality and spunk to her. But originality and spunk don’t win you matches any more than my supposed altruism does. You need willpower, drive, heart, technique, knowledge, and talent. And if your focus isn’t on obtaining those, then no amount of supposed Carpe Diem matches will help you turn the corner. Opportunities mean jack in this business if you’re not willing to capitalize on them.

[Wendy reaches behind Pollaski, to the back seat, and grabs the Rice Krispy Treat]

Wendy: So if Whitley wants to ‘Seize the Day’ tonight, she knows exactly where I’m going to be. I’ll be in that ring, and if she wants to prove herself ready for the next level, well, I’ll be more than happy to oblige her. But like I said on Saturday, I’m fighting for things of my own here, and there won’t be a free pass. It doesn’t matter what she’s wearing, or who her friends are, or whatever her deal with Gretchen is. All that matters is that dangling carrot that’s been hovered over her head.

[Wendy begins to unwrap the Rice Krispy Treat herself, while Pollaski stares at her, scandalized]

Wendy: But unless she’s ready, unless she’s fully prepared to take me, and this challenge on, she’s seizing nothing but a huge pile of disappointment. Because even in as opportune a place like FFW, if you can’t take advantage of the one’s you’re given, if you let them get away from you...

[Wendy takes a bite out of the Krispy Treat, and smirks over at Pollaski]

Wendy: ...then they’re gone for good.

[Fade]

No comments:

Post a Comment