Thursday, June 23, 2011

EPISODE 109: Team Player

Saturday June 11, 2011
Pocono Raceway- Garage Area
Long Pond, Pennsylvania
11:10 PM Local Time

“Come on, Terry,’ I muttered to myself as I leaned against the wall of his paddock. Even with a windbreaker on, the night air had grown chilly, and I was anxious to get back to the warmth and comfort of our RV. But Terrence still hadn’t returned to the garage yet- he had been busy signing autographs and giving interviews in the post race activities, and I was content to simply wait for him here.

I was happy for him. Considering the disappointing finishes he had taken at Toledo, New Jersey, and Chicagoland, a twelfth place finish here at Pocono was definitely a step in the right direction. Even better, the SPEED channel had been on hand to televise the action, so people across the nation had seen Terrence lead three laps in the early going of the race. Although he had faded at the end, there was no doubt that everyone at Diamond Motorsports was happy with the outcome.

I felt something fall into my hair, and gingerly reached up and grabbed it, shuddering in disgust when I realized it was a dead moth. I glanced up, and realized I had foolishly poistioned myself under a large stadium light. A veritable cloud of the small furry insects had gathered around the lights, and every now and then, one would get too close, get itself burned to death, and fall helplessly to the ground- or an unfortunate bystander’s hair- below. Shuddering again, I flicked the dead moth onto the ground, and walked away, ducking inside the paddock.

Several of Terrence’s pit crew greeted me when I walked through the garage’s door, and I smiled softly, waving back. They were busy packing up their tools, and preparing Terrence’s car to be loaded onto the hauler, where it would return to the Diamond Motorsports facility in Nashville for any major repairs. There would be some, Terrence had collided with his teammate on the forty-second lap, and while Wesley Hamilton had certainly gotten the worst of the exchange, Terrence’s right front quarterpanel was a lot more crumpled than it had been on the first lap.

I didn’t want to get in the way of Terrence’s crew, so I walked over to a small minifridge at the back of the garage, and pulled out a bottle of Evian. Twisting it open, I stood half-watching the crew, half-watching the small television that was showing the SPEED channel’s post race footage. I took a sip of the cold, pure water, and sighed in content.

If someone had told me back in April that this arrangement would be working so well after two months, I’d have called them crazy. I was almost certain that between Terrence’s racing career, and my wrestling career, that it would ultimately prove to be too much for us. But, at least so far, the schedule had worked out to our advantage, with my events coming at least a couple days apart from Terrence’s races.

Even better, our results had been promising. Sure, Terrence was only 21st in the points now, and had just one top ten, but considering that he missed the first race of the season, it wasn’t that bad of a situation. And he was improving, he looked more confident out there tonight than I had ever seen him. Maybe- just maybe- his first win was merely a couple weeks away.

And if I had ever started in a wrestling company with a 4-0 record before, I certainly couldn’t remember it. But there I was, unblemished after two months. And it hadn’t just been against scrubs either- I had just won a tag match against three Evolution Champions!

But of course, it only got harder from here- but the rewards were going to be greater as well. I was basically three matches away from becoming the next Evolution Champion, and while it was looking like four extremely talented women- Colleen, Robbyn Helmsley, Kassandra, and Crystal Hilton- stood in my way, I certainly had more than just a outside chance.

I was distracted by my musings when I heard my husbands name. I looked over at the entrance of the garage, thinking he had returned, but no one was there. Then my head snapped back to the television, and I saw Wesley Hamilton smirking in front of the microphones in a post-race interview, his little shrew of a wife Andrea next to him.

Something inside me went cold. Wesley was Terrence’s teammate, and easily one of the most arrogant, overblown windbags I’d ever had the misfortune of meeting- saying a lot considering some of the people involved in my own line of work. Even more insufferable was that Wesley had thus far easily outperformed Terrence in races. Even after crashing out in thirty-second tonight, Wesley stood in third place in the standings, several hundred points ahead of my husband.

I could tell Hamilton was talking about the collision he and Terrence had on the track. He was smirking, but there was menace behind his eyes. “I was just trying to get around the guy, but obviously, Thompson still thinks he’s in professional wrestling, because he just piledrove me into the wall. It’s a shame, because we had a REALLY good car, but I guess when you’re used to beating on guys for a living, you think you can get away with stuff like that.”

The reporters laughed, and the feed cut away to another driver. I could tell my face was burning, and my hands were clenched so tight, I was amazed I hadn’t shattered the bottle of Evian.

“It wasn’t his fault, you two-faced rat.” I whispered angrily, to no one in particular. I had been listening to the radio feed at the time of the accident- Terrence had apologized for the incident, but everyone- including Hamilton himself, had brushed it off as just one of those incidents. And now he was standing on television, publicly blaming my husband for a cheap laugh?


A sharp pain in my left wrist distracted me, and I looked down. I was squeezing the Evian so tight, my knuckles had gone white. I lobbed the bottle into a nearby garbage can, shaking my hand to get some circulation back. Even though my mouth felt dry, I wasn’t thirsty anymore.

And it probably wasn’t a good idea to had an easily breakable glass bottle in my hand at the moment.

I turned and walked away from the television. Hamilton’s garage was the next one over, and from the looks of things, he had given his interview from there. I didn’t care if he was the alpha-driver of the team- he owed my husband an apology.

I didn’t get two steps, however, before a strong hand grabbed my upper arm, and restrained me. Furious, I swatted the hand away, and spun to confront my assailant. It was Jimbo McNulty, Terrence’s crew chief. The pot-bellied Tennesseean gazed at me with beady eyes from behind the a full face of salt-n-pepper facial hair. Even as he shook his head, I could see something in his face- sympathy?

Nevertheless, he was stern. “Ain’t gon’ be goin’ over there, Missy.”

“Hamilton’s an idiot!” I protested angrily. “I drive a bloody Vespa and I know you can’t pass on the outside in Turn 2! He put himself in the wall with his own impatience!”

“Did,” Jimbo nodded in agreement. “Terrence drove it clean, Wes didn’t. But no use startin’ trouble. Last thing we needin’ is feudin’ teammates.”

“THAT’S not starting trouble?” I demanded, pointing at the television. “You think Terrence is going to stand for that?”

“Yup,” was the succinct reply. “Terrence knows his place.”

“His place?!” I was incredulous

For an answer, Jimbo pointed at the #38 Taco Bell Ford sitting a couple feet away. “Twenty-First,” he muttered, then pointed in the general direction of Hamilton’s pit. “Third. Terrence ain’t winnin’ ARCA in 2011, ma’am. Wes has a shot at it, and if anyone’s gonna keep him from it, ain’t gon’ be us. Ain’t gon’ be you, either.”

The words were softly spoken in that Smokey Mountain accent, but there was a definite authority behind them. I wanted to protest further, but I had a feeling that any more would be construed as whining, and fall on deaf ears. And the last thing I needed to be doing was creating problems in office politics for my husband.

“Terrence’s here,” Jimbo grunted, pointing over my shoulder. “Night, ma’am.” With that, he turned and walked away. I turned, and forced a smile as Terrence quickly moved towards me, picking me up and spinning me around with a hug and a kiss.

“Twelfth, eh? How bout them apples!” Terrence beamed at me. “And I thought I was gonna hate Pocono!”

“Congrats, Terrence,” I replied, almost robotically. “You were great out there.”

Terrence seemed to notice my lack of enthusiasm, and he looked at me curiously. “Everything alright, hon?”

I glanced over at Jimbo, making sure he was out of earshot, then leaned forward, lowering my voice. “I was watching the post-race stuff. Hamilton’s blaming you for the accident.”

For just a second,I saw irritation on Terrence’s face, but then it was gone, replaced by a nonchalant shrug. “He’s just venting, hon. He had a car to win, and got hit by some bad luck. Sides, I probably could have given him a bit more room.”

“Terry, if you were any closer to the grass, you’d have been MOWING it,” I protested.

But my words fell on deaf ears. “We should probably get back to the RV and tuck Theresa in before she passes out.” he merely said. “Gimme a minute while I say goodbye to everyone, okay?”

“Yeah, sure,” I said, shaking my head as I walked away. Terrence would have never stood for someone disrespecting him like that. At least not while in wrestling.

A movement out of the corner of my eye caught my attention, and I looked over. The Hamiltons were leaving their garage, Wesley strutting as if he had just won the race, instead of finishing third-from-last. I folded my arms over my chest and glowered at them. They looked over at me, and Wesley leaned over, and muttered something into Andrea’s ear. Something apparently amusing, because the woman burst out laughing. The way she glanced at me, I had a feeling I was the topic of the remark.

My face burning again, I looked back at Terrence, who was finishing saying goodnight to the crew. Jimbo was right- Terrence wouldn’t do anything. He’d wanted a chance like this for a long time, and he wasn’t going to let his temper screw anything up. If the company line was team unity, then Terrence would be a model good teammate.

I just wished the unity went both ways.

======================================
Thursday June 23, 2011
The Nest- Living Room
Indianapolis, Indiana
2:17 PM Local Time

[Scene opens in Wendy’s living room, with the redheaded woman sitting on her couch. Wendy is dressed a lot more casually than she normally is for an interview, wearing an Indianapolis Colts t-shirt, the vivid blue of the shirt clashing with her hair, which has been allowed to hang loosely. Wendy’s smiling, as usual, but her eyes are shining brightly with excitement.]

“Well, here we are!”

“This morning I woke up in my own bed. I ate breakfast at my own table. I went to my own gym to work out. I’m about to leave for the arena, and I don’t even have to use GoogleMap! And tonight, I have a chance to get one step closer to the Evolution title, and I get to participate in my first FFW main event! Wow! It feels...”

“It feels...”

[Wendy’s voice trails off, and she pauses for a few seconds, trying to find the word. Finally, she shrugs.]

“It feels RIGHT, actually. I- I can’t explain it, but today is one of those days I’ve always kind of dreamed of ever since I started wrestling. And I’ll be honest, I’m a bit nervous about it. There’s three of us left in the Chase for the Crown, but after tonight, one of us is going to have our dreams dashed. Obviously, I don’t want that to be me, but especially not on a night like tonight.”

“Whatever happens tonight, I have to thank my opponents in this match- Kassandra and Crystal Hilton. Whatever I may personally think about them, I can’t deny the fact that we were a great team together. Holding a unit like this together through one match is hard enough, but two, especially the last match on Velocity, was astounding. And I owe both of you my gratitude. Any one of us could have tried resorting to gamesmanship, and stabbed the others in the back at any point, but we didn’t. And I think that’s made this match even better.”

“But alas, our partnership has come to an end, and now we stand facing each other as opponents. And all three of us want the same thing- to get that Evolution Championship shot, and get a chance to dethrone the mighty Colleen.

[Wendy shrugs, and shakes her head]

“Like the first round, that goal can’t be achieved in this match. The Chase can’t be won here- only lost, and for one of us, that WILL be a reality. One of the odd things about this match is that, unlike most three-way matches, you shouldn’t have to worry about having your fall attempts broken- it ultimately doesn’t matter whether you get the fall or not. To advance is simple- not be the one who gets pinned or submits. A seemingly-simple task, but one that is significantly more difficult when you think about who you’ll have to outlast.”

“Most people know that I’ve spent a lot of my career competing in tag teams, so I like to think I know a thing or two about that style of wrestling. And I can safely say that the Danger Queens are among the best teams I’ve had the chance of seeing in action. Charlie and Kassandra- they have this chemistry between them, inside the ring and out, that just lets you know that there’s something special about that team. I’m really looking forward to watching them face The Eternal Flame at Unstoppable.”

“And Kassandra is amazing in her own right. In both of the matches we all teamed in, I don’t think its a fluke that she picked up the fall both times. She’s a heck of a submissionist, and hopefully further down the road, we may get a chance to face each other one on one.”

“But if anything- that might be Kassandra’s problem. She simply seems to get ahead of herself sometimes. The way she talked before the last Velocity, you’d think she’d already gotten her match against Colleen! We’re getting close, but there’s a lot of wrestling to be done before the Chase is decided.”

“On the flipside, there’s Crystal Hilton.”

[Wendy snorts and shakes her head]

“I always taught my daughter that if you can’t say anything nice, you shouldn’t say anything at all, and I’m really tempted to go that route here, just say Crystal’s a good wrestler, and shut off the camera.”

[Sigh]

“Part of my job is to do these interviews however, and I’ve noticed in the past that promoters kind of get a little annoyed when you cop out like that.”

[Sheepish grin]

“Crystal Hilton is... I’ll just say it wasn’t until I met her that I fully understood the meaning of the phrase ‘delusions of grandeur.’. There isn’t a person in the world that’s as perfect as Crystal Hilton thinks she is. I don’t think there’s another person in the world who even THINKS they’re as perfect as Crystal Hilton thinks she is.”

“Well, Crystal can say whatever she wants. She can mock me, mock my city, mock my fans, mock moccasins, mock a mockingbird, whatever. I’m Catholic, and I’ll just say that if I don’t believe in papal infallibility, I sure as heck don’t believe in the infallibility of some overexposed actress from California.”

“Well, I suppose its up to me to crack the facade, then isn’t it? Because Crystal isn’t the only one in this match who could boast of an undefeated record. The difference is, I’m able to put it all into perspective. Crystal has five wins, I have four, but ultimately, our biggest victory both came in our last match, against the exact same people. And I’m a firm believer in the philosophy that if you’re undefeated, you just haven’t managed to face the right person yet.”

“I guess over the next couple weeks, I’ll get to see if I’m the ‘right person’ for Crystal or not.”

[Wendy shrugs, giving a lopsided smile]

“Crystal, Kassandra, everybody in FFW, welcome to Indianapolis. I hope everyone brings everything they have to Conseco Field House tonight, because this city needs... no, this city DESERVES to have the best darn Velocity possible. And it’s fitting that we’re called the Crossroads of America, because here, tonight, the Chase for the Crown reaches a crossroads of its own.”

[Pause]

“And when it’s all said and done, I fully intend to be still travelling on the correct path.”

[Fade]

No comments:

Post a Comment