Thursday, June 23, 2011

EPISODE 107: Step Up

Monday June 20, 2011
The RV- Main Cabin
Edmonton, Alberta
9:47 PM Local Time

[We cut to a now-familiar scene to X3 fans- the WhirlyBirdz RV, with Wendy Briese sitting on the couch. Given that the last time she had been seen on X3 Television, Wendy was a blood spattered mess coming out of the Fatal Attraction Cage Match, the thirty year-old redhead actually looks pretty good. It’s obvious that Wendy used much of her time off to rest herself up, and the cut she had been nursing on her forehead has completely healed up. Wendy smiles softly at the camera through the fade-in, before beginning to speak.]

“I suppose it would be an understatement to say that I’m fairly happy with the way Fatal Attraction turned out.”

[Wendy breaks into a small grin, then continues]

“In a single night, every single tendril of the Powers that Be that had a grasp on X3W was lopped off. Despite the victories scored by Madelyne McTaggert and Johnny Rotten, despite all the threats against those of us who refused to play along, the moment Brydon Talinsdale reappeared and sauntered down that ramp, everything was made moot. The company is back in the hands of the man it belongs to, the man it never should have been wrested from in the first place, and there’s not a darn thing Maddie, or Mike Powers, or Jason Riviera, or ANYONE can do about it!

“And then, of course, there was the main event. Looking back at it, even now, two weeks removed, I still have mixed feelings about it. I’m not proud of what I had to do in there. I’m not proud that I tore up Kevin Flynn’s chest like that. I’m not proud of the blood I spilled, or the scars I created. I didn’t want that match, nor do I ever want to be placed in a match like that again, but a champion has to be able to defend even in circumstances they find uncomfortable.”

“But that’s what I’m proud of. No matter how much I hated it, no matter how much pain, frustration, and yes, even fear I felt in that cage, I ultimately was able to shove it all aside and do what needed to be done. I walked into a match that many thought I wouldn’t even be able to survive, and I walked out the victor. I walked out a champion. The World Champion.”

[Wendy looks away for a long second, biting her lower lip, as if something just came to her. For several seconds, she sits pensive, looking off to the side, before turning back to the camera, her voice quiet]

“You know, I honestly think this is the first time in my career I’ve ever felt that way. I know, I’ve had this belt for over four months now, but in a way, I’ve always kind of felt like I was Carrie at the prom. Sure I was Queen, but it almost felt unreal, like the honor I had was really some sick joke designed to exploit all my flaws. I spent the last four months waiting for the blood to be dumped over my head.”

“Well, that deluge came, and it failed to budge the crown on my head so much as an inch! And now, I sit here, still the queen, with absolutely NOTHING hanging over my head. No kidnapped friends. No psychotic Satanic stalkers. No power-struggle amongst the executives. No electrified razor-wire cage match of doom. There’s just me. And my crown.”

“So I guess there’s just one question that needs to be asked.”

[Wendy reaches to her side, and hoists up something that was sitting next to her. The X3W title- which she sets over her shoulder patting the faceplate as she does so. She smiles at the camera- not one of open cockiness, but there is a definite level of confidence behind it.]

“Who wants it?”

“The best thing I’ve always loved about X3W is that the opportunities are abundant to those who are willing to step up and reach for the dangling carrot. Fourteen wrestlers were given a chance to become the first champion in a tournament- which I won. Then, five wrestlers competed in a round robin tournament to determine who would be my first contender. Kevin Flynn emerged from that.”

“So now that a battle royal is to determine my next challenger, who’s willing to make that leap? Who’s willing to step up to the plate, and knock the proverbial ball out of the park?”

[Wendy smiles for a second at her analogy, then shrugs]

“Obviously, the name Madman Szalinski comes to mind. There’s no coincidence that he was the runner-up in both of the previous tournaments I mentioned. Jeremy may not have grabbed the brass ring yet, but he’s made some swipes that have come darn close. And this isn’t the self-pitying, angry-at-the-world Szalinski we saw at Revelations. This isn’t the broken down, lost Szalinski that still managed to runner-up the round robin tournament. Jeremy’s said he’s not sure what he wants right now, but if he decides it’s my title, you can be sure that I’m already well on notice.”

“And of course, you can’t rule out Flynn. Let’s be honest- two weeks ago, I beat Kevin Flynn at his own game. I walked into a match that was right up his alley, and I walked out the winner. That’s a blow to one’s ego, and I think we can all safely say that Flynn’s the kind of guy who doesn’t like his ego bruised. I know the rivalry between us isn’t over- it’s probably barely even started. If Flynn didn’t like me before Fatal Attraction, I’m sure he likes me even less now, and he wants another shot at me. And we’ve all seen it, Flynn is exactly the kind of guy who steps up when things are on the line.”

“If I were a betting woman, those would be the two names I’d put my chips on. But, in truth, I can only speculate as to what Flynn and Szalinski are after. There’s one person in X3 who’s made no secret what she wants.”

[Wendy pauses, grimacing slightly.]

“You have to give Victoria Wolf credit- the woman knows how to make an impact. Returning at Fatal Attraction with her two... friends. And the last thing those who purchased that pay-per-view saw was her calling both Flynn and myself out. I’m sure it made for great television, and ended the show on a rather expectant note.”

“But there’s a lot more to gaining a shot at the champion than pointing at her and doing your best Aaron Rodgers imitation. Victoria probably wasn’t excpecting the time to back up her actions was going to come so soon. And we really have yet to see what Victoria is capable of in that ring. Her physique is impressive, but all we’ve ever seen of her in action was her debut against Ariel, and that mess of a jailcell match at Revelations. Her enthusiasm is admirable- but Victoria’s got a lot to prove this week.”

“As for the rest of the locker room?”

[Wendy shrugs, a lopsided smile on her face]

“Well, what are they waiting for? X3W may be the land of opportunity, but that hardly means you can afford to pass any of them up! Think about this- t doesn’t matter what your win-loss record is- your height, your weight, your age, your gender, which number you draw, you could be the number one contender to the X3W World Championship by the time Tuesday is over. Every single person in this company has a shot at what can take YEARS for people to get. Shatterpoint 19 can be the launching pad to a magnificent career to the one who’s most willing to step up.”

“Or, I suppose you could get eliminated, and then hope I win and pick you as my challenger.”

[Wendy flashes another grin, one that clearly indicates she’s joking.]

“It’s almost surreal, really, being entered in a battle royal to determine your next challenger. I can safely say *THIS* wasn’t my idea. But I will be wrestling, and I’ll definitely be wrestling to win. Not because I want to pick my next challenger- in honesty, I don’t really care who I defend against, so long as their shot is well deserved. If I do end up winning, I’ll just choose the person who I felt worked the hardest to earn it.”

“But I want to win myself, because ultimately, while I’m proud of what I’ve done so far, I’m hardly satisfied. It doesn’t matter how many matches I’ve won, what accolades I’ve been awarded, or how many belts I wear- I can always improve. It doesn’t matter if you’re the highest one on the ladder or not, there’s always another rung, and I want to keep climbing.”

“So get ready, everyone! Tomorrow night, let’s show Edmonton why X3W is so special, and give the fans a match that they’ll remember for a long time. I’m honestly looking forward to seeing who really wants to face me for the title, and who’s willing to step up their efforts to do so. I don’t care if you’re Kevin Flynn, Miss Denni, or Ariel Shadows. The time has come for you to realize your potential.”

[Wendy begins to get up, and the scene fades]

No comments:

Post a Comment