Saturday, May 7, 2011

EPISODE 98: Lecture

Friday May 6, 2011
The RV- Main Cabin
Greenville, South Carolina
9:02 AM Local Time

“Rori Snyder, if that was you going all in, you picked the worst hand in the world to do it with.”

[The scene opens in the WhirlyBirdz RV, with Wendy sitting on the couch. As usual, her flame-red hair has been tied back into a ponytail, and she is wearing a pale pink buttoned blouse as she faces the camera. One noticable newer ‘feature’, is the small bandaid stuck to Wendy’s forehead. Wendy is also looking farily annoyed, which as anyone from Velocity can attest, is due to in part to that very same bandage.]

“Maybe this is unnecessary. Maybe I should just put this all behind me, and look forward to Conviction. Maybe I should just be happy with the fact that despite Rori slamming me face first into the ringpost, and doing everything she could in her power to spill my blood all over that arena floor, I still managed to kick her down, and make her tap out to the Banshee.”

[Wendy pauses for a second, and then shakes her head]

“But I can’t let it go. I’ve ran the gamut of emotions throughout my career. I’ve felt joy, sorrow, fear, anger, you name it. But I can’t remember a time when I’ve been as disappointed in someone as I am with Rori Snyder right now. You see, when I shot my promo last week during the buildup to our contest, I meant what I said. I honestly believed that Rori Snyder was an outstanding young lady, a up-and-comer that was only a matter of time before she rose to prominence. I believed she did things the right way, and had the heart and drive to succeed in this business. Now, a little more than twelve hours removed from our match?”

[Another sad shake of the head.]

“I’m not so sure.”

[A deep breath]

“Since Velocity went off the air, I’ve seen several people marvel about how ‘Rori Snyder grew a spine’. Really? What show were they watching? Where’s the spine in diving out of the ring the moment the opening bell rings? Where’s the spine in shoving me headfirst into the ringpost? Where’s the spine in slapping Shane Sanders in the face, using me as a human shield, and running as far and fast away as her legs could carry her?”

[Wendy looks directly into the camera, a fire dancing behind her emerald eyes.]

“Rori, if you wanted to show the world your ‘spine’, all you had to do was walk down to that ring, and given me everything you had without resorting to cheap tricks. I don’t think the world expected you to beat me. I don’t think the world expects you to beat Shane. Merely returning, especiailly after the horrible thing that happened to you, was showing all the guts on the planet. And if you could have pulled off one of those wins, and done it the right way, your stock would have risen more quickly than you could have dreamed.”

[Wendy sighs, and closes her eyes for just a second]

“But something funny happened on the way to the arena. Somehow you got it in your mind that the course of action you needed was to disrespect me, disrespect the fans, disrespect Shane... and disappoint so many others. Do you think that’s what Scarlett wants of you, Rori? Or even your cousin?”

[Wendy snorts, and shakes her head]

“Because I didn’t see the never-say-die fighter I believed you were. I didn’t see the talented young rookie people expected big things of. I saw a child. A frightened child who felt in over her head, and was looking for the easy way out. You chose that path, and I still managed to slam the door in your face.”

[Wendy laughs quietly, soft and bitter]

“What the heck did you expect? Did you honestly believe that a first-blood match against Raven Wicked was the toughest this got? Did you think Scarlett Kincaid would be next to you to hold your hand against any veteran that walked down that ramp? I can’t fault fear, Rori. I’ve gone to the ring more times than I can count scared out of my mind. But you can’t let your fear rule you. What truly defines us as the type of person we are is how we act under pressure. And on Thursday Night, you failed. Miserably.”

[Wendy snorts, and looks away]

“And you’re so fortunate, Rori, that I’m not the vindictive type. Do you realize what ninety-five percent of the people in this industry would do to you for something like that? Shane Sanders has been foaming at the mouth to rip you to shreds, and you just made her want to do it worse. I was just happy to beat you. Or maybe you knew that going in. Maybe you figured you could take advantage of me, because you didn’t think there would be consequences. You’re dead wrong.’

[Wendy looks back at the camera, taking another deep breath]

“Because you remember what I said about respect, Rori? How its the most precious commodity to be had in all of wrestling? Well, Respect is a lot like other resources- it can take YEARS to develop, and accumulate. But handle them with carelessness and mismanagement, and those resources can vanish almost overnight. One night, one childish outburst, and look at what has happened. People are you looking at you, Rori, but it’s not with eyes of respect. This is more akin to people watching a four-year old kicking and screaming in the candy aisle because they couldn’t have any M&M’s.”

[Not that Wendy has ANY experience with four year olds throwing tantrums...]

“It’s not all lost, though. It’s going to take time, a lot of effort, and, most painful of all, a touch of humility, but you can save face here. You can start by apologizing to me, to the fans, and yes, to Shane as well. And then you can go to Conviction, walk down to that ring, and wrestle your butt off in the cleanest, most hard fought match, you can. If you can do that, Rori, win or lose, you’re going to gain *some* respect back.”

[Wendy pauses, and smiles slightly, her thusfar stern voice softening somewhat]

“I don’t want your head on a platter. I just want answers, and for you to grow up and start living up to your potential. Like most of FFW, I’m going to be in Miami on the fourteenth. My best friend Ariel is taking on one of my partners in the first leg of the Chase for the Crown, and you can bet that I’m VERY interested in observing that match firsthand. But I strongly recommend that you get on expedia, and figure out a way to get from Alaska to Florida yourself, and be at that arena next Saturday.”

[The smile vanishes, and Wendy looks directly into the camera one last time, her voice growing stern]

“Because Lorelai Snyder... you have got some explaining to do.”

[Fade]

No comments:

Post a Comment