Tuesday, April 21, 2015

EPISODE 274: The Drums Over the Horizon (Part 1)

From the private journal of Wendy Briese

12-28-2014

What a way to end the year!

The three matches I had to finish with- Wendigo, then Mika, then Colleen, may have been the toughest stretch of three opponents I ever had to deal with.  I thought getting two out of the three would have been good.  I was honestly worried I might get zero.  But I got all three.  ALL THREE!  I Cycloned WEndigo.  I got Mika with the Hook Echo.  And I beat Colleen with her own move after she failed to beat me with mine!

Which probably means that’s the first time I’ve ever one a match with a move I’m not able to speak out loud…

Oh, and I got to kick Todd Williams in the head when he tried to parlay MY hard work into cashing in his little briefcase.  I wasn’t happy about Rebecka doing it last year, and I sure as HECK wasn’t going to let that scumbag do it.  Besides, I always told him what would happen if he ever brought his slimy self anywhere near me, and now he knows I wasn’t kidding.

Still, tonight was just too volitaile.  Way too many emotions running high, and I suppose I had something to do that with the incendiary promo I cut last night…

But I had to say something.  I couldn’t just let it slide after she spit on all the effort me and Caroline and Scarlett and Eileen and Misty and Cody and so many others have spent over the past couple years trying to make FFW a better place.  Especially when she was one of the ones who helped throw it into turmoil in the first place.

Ah well, its over now.  We had a fantastic match, I managed to come out on top, and now we can go our separate ways.  Colleen can go back to SVW and continue to hate us while she prepares to defend against Wendigo, and I can look forward to my own challenges and goals in 2015 as I try to reclaim the FFW Championship- starting with Mileena Savage right after the New Year, and then onto a the huge four-way match that Mr. Kincaid announced tonight.

Mr. Kincaid.

My skin still gets goosebumps thinking about my friend, and my boss.  We had a quick meeting backstage last night, after I had come back from my interview.  It was pleasant of course.  Discussions with Cody usually are.  But it was also unsettling.  The way he talked… the way he was predicting the future…

If he’s right, then soon, I’m going to be involved in a fight bigger, and possibly more intense than anything I’ve yet been in in FFW.  And on the line would be something far bigger and far more consequential than the FFW Championship could ever be.

-Wendy 



Saturday December 27, 2014
10:27 PM Eastern Standard Time
TD Garden- Main Arena
Boston, Massachusetts


Wendy Briese listened carefully to the sound of the crowd as she trudged up the ramp towards the stage.  There was some cheering, as she had expected, and some boos as well, although not nearly as many as she had counted on.  But she could hear a buzzing sound from the crowd as well.  For better or for worse, the speech she had just given had gotten people talking.

The backstage area was empty, which was fine by Wendy’s liking, the show taking a second as the cage that would soon house Chris Strike and Todd Williams began to lower from the ceiling.  As pumped up as she was after pouring her heart out, the last thing anyone needed was her running into Todd.  The night one main event would likely be cancelled about thirty seconds later.

Fortunately, the arrogant chauvanist was nowhere to be seen, and Wendy quickly ducked out of the staging area down a hallway, heading back into the depths of the building towards the locker room she had been granted for tonight and the next.

Standing in front of the door and looking down to his iPhone was Cody Kincaid, who had asked about meeting with her while they were in Boston for the show. He seemed a bit vigilant himself, glancing in the other direction to see if anyone was coming, though likely not looking for Todd so much as short blondes whose last name described them not at all. When he glanced back the other way, he caught sight of Wendy with a smile and put his phone away.

“Oh, hi, Mr. Kincaid!” Wendy exclaimed, giving her boss (well, her favorite boss) a quick hug and a grin.  “I hope you weren’t waiting too long.  Sorry I was out, ah… doing an interview.” 

“No, I just got here like two minutes ago. I saw you out there, and figured you’d be heading back here right after...so I figured I’d just hang out and wait..” He told her as he returned her hug. “I had something I wanted to chat with you about if you got time, unless you have other plans tonight. I don’t want to infringe on anything.”

“No, I was just going to watch the main event, but that’s still a few minutes, once they get everything set up and sorted out.  What’s on your mind, Mr. Kincaid?”

Cody headed into the locker room with her, pushing the door behind him before he took a seat on one of the chairs, making himself comfortable. “Well what we are going to discuss is something similar to a chat I had with Caroline. You remember when she returned at Future Shock Malice a few weeks ago? Well that wasn’t just designed to announce she was back, it was also because...I have a feeling I’m going to be needing some help soon…...with Isabella.”

Wendy nodded quietly, grabbing a bottle of water off a table, and sitting down on a folding chair, gestruring for Cody to do the same.  “I know a lot of people don’t like Kate Steele, but… it wasn’t right for her to run her out of the division like that.  And these matches… Metal Mayhem was disgusting… just… there comes a point where it stops being a sport, and becomes brutality… and she’s going to take us across that line more and more, I’m afraid.”

“That’s what I’m afraid of, which is precisely why I’m doing what I’ve been doing. I don’t want to see a career or life shortened because of her. Like you say, there’s a line that I always tried to respect, but she doesn’t. She always says she doesn’t ask them to do anything she hasn’t, but that’s easy to say when you’re retired and not doing it anymore. Fact is, Wendy….” He paused for a moment, his fingers rubbing his chin briefly. “I plan to take Isabella out of power in FFW. But the last time I opposed her was before you came to FFW. And she organized the Power Trip to try to break my neck. Actually did have to get some vertebrae fused…” Clearly the memory of it was painful as he rubbed the back of his neck as he recalled it.

“I hoped she was going to change when she came to me a couple years ago,” Wendy said quietly.  “Although now I know I was just being used by a desperate woman eager to take advantage of someone trusting.  And then I hoped she’d change after she retired, when she’d settle down and start a family.  We even had lunch and buried the hatchet after I faced her.  And now…” she sighed.  “SHe’s never going to really change, is she?  She’s always going to want herself and everything around her soaked in blood?”

“That’s my concern. Unfortunately Samantha has something of a blind spot. Isabella and she have been best friends for longer than this company has existed. I’m not sure she sees her the same way as everyone else, a bit too close to the situation. So it’s up to me and those who feel the same way I do to both show it to her and then take steps to get her out of power. I can’t overrule her, but I do have a plan.” Another pause as he met the gaze of the Hall of Famer. “But I can’t do it by myself. And as much as I respect Caroline, she can’t do it alone either. We need help. And I’m here to ask you for your help.”

Wendy smiled softly.  “I’d love to help, Cody.  Although I doubt you ever thought I’d say anything otherwise.  If it has to come down to picking sides in this, there’s never any question for me.  I’m behind you one hundred percent.”

That brought a smile to his face as he heard it. “I appreciate that. But I still wanted to ask. I don’t like to presume things like this. I think after this fan vote at Breaking Point, it’ll be clear what the fans want and who they trust more. And if that happens, none of this may be necessary at all. But in case it doesn’t work, my fallback plan is to challenge her to a match where she puts her job on the line in some kind of match. Knowing her ego, she already thinks she’s better than me so I’m sure she’d accept. In which case, I need people I can rely on. I don’t want a War Games situation, where someone is playing both sides. So I’m only asking people who I know and have nothing but faith in to help me. Like Caroline...and you.”

“Well, thank you for your trust,” Wendy said, her voice suddenly full of emotion.  “Just I hope it doesn’t come to that.  If we were to… if something happens, I don’t think I’d ever forgive myself for letting the best boss I ever had get fired.”

“I don’t intend on going anywhere. But now at least I know I have 3 women who are more than capable of helping, and I don’t have to worry about deceptions.” He breathed a sigh of relief as he said it, then it dawned on him what detail he’d left out. “The third person is Jo, I’m confident in her skills too. Always have been, Anarchy just reinforced that belief for me.”

“She’s young,” WEndy admitted.  “But her skills are definitely there.  And if you trust her convictions, then so do I.  So three of us… against, how many?  How many of the Ultraviolence division is going to be sadistic enough to side with her?  Would even someone like Alysson?”

“I don’t know. It sounds crazy, but….” Cody trails off for a second. “I have this strange feeling she’d probably at the very least have Kate on her side. If only because Kate is pretty naive. She fell for the same trick twice with Maddie and then Isabella. I’m not convinced she couldn’t be suckered again and end up supporting her in a match like that.”

“Oh, God.  You have any idea how much temptation there was to kick her in the head when she was handcuffed to the ropes?  She’s lucky the rest of us were more concerned with winning the match than making sure she knew we told her so… over and over again.  No… honestly, I’m kind of glad Kate Steele isn’t considered.  She’s a good kid, if a bit clueless.  But I couldn’t trust her.  At all.”

“Yeah, I’m not entirely sold out on her. It probably goes without saying Scarlett is on board. So we will definitely have her there. She’s no big fan of Isabella either. And it can’t hurt having the FFW Champion on our side in all of this.” Cody seemed to be still considering options even as he laid out the people he had already recruited. “Personally you and Jo and Caroline and Scarlett seem like an awesome force all your own.”

“I know Scarlett and I can put aside any professional rivalry we have and work together, and Caroline’s a dang beast.  Jo, I’ll be honest, I’m not completely sold, but maybe that’s just because I have a history with her.  Either way, it’s a strong team, and with you as our leader…”  Wendy smiled. 

“I appreciate the support, Wendy. If nothing else is certain and this last year has proven that, I know I can always rely on you.” He told her as he moved towards her, giving her another hug before he rose. “And it goes without saying I am looking forward to seeing you and Colleen tomorrow. You close the show big, and I’ll open it with something big. Deal?”

“Yeah… okay…” Wendy said, not quite certain what to make of that, and feeling slightly nervous at the grand expectation in Cody’s voice.  “Anyways, I suppose we better watch Chris kick Todd’s butt.  I daresay it’ll be quite… cathartic.”

“Wouldn’t miss it for the world.” He located the remote and aimed it towards the monitor as they were greeted with the sound of Strike’s entrance music before Cody retook his original seat. “Here’s hoping there’ll be nothing left…” 

No comments:

Post a Comment