Thursday, May 1, 2014

EPISODE 247: Kitchen Nightmare, Part 1

From the private journal of Wendy Briese

4-24-2014

It’s been a while since I’ve been able to write in this journal.  Part of it’s been because I’ve been so busy, but I’ve always had time to write my thoughts down before.  It’s just that I couldn’t FIND this.   I don’t know how it ended up getting packed away with the Christmas decorations, or what made me think to look in the box of lights, but here it is.

Either way, it’s been three months, and a lot’s happened since the last time I wrote in this.  For starters, I lost the FFW Championship.  Wasn’t even pinned for it, just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, but it doesn’t matter in a triple threat match.  Scarlett pinned Val, and she’s now the champion.  That’s the way it is, sometimes.

But in all honesty, it’s eating at me more than it probably should.  It was a fair result, and I’m trying to be as gracious as I can about it, and it’s not that I personally have a problem with Scarlett Kincaid being the champion again, but… every time I see her with that belt, I feel a twinge.  An impulse to cash in my rematch clause right then and there and take it back, because I was never more proud to hold that belt than any other belt I’ve ever held, and the thought of waiting SIX MONTHS for a chance to get it back..

But (and I keep reminding myself about this) that’s Unstoppable.  The biggest show of the year, and while there is something awesome about winning the FFW Championship, winning it at the fifth Unstoppable makes it that much more special.  So I need to be patient, and remember that my time will come soon enough.  Heck, I’m already halfway there.  Three months isn’t so long in this business, and I have plenty of other things to focus on until that fateful day arrives.  I just have to take care of my business, and pray that Scarlett takes care of hers against Mika.

Yes, Mikaela Demidov has a title shot.  God help us.

At least Scarlett has been every bit as gracious as I’ve been, if not more so.  80% of this roster would have gleefully rubbed that belt into my face, but Scarlett hasn’t.  Heck, we even teamed together on a couple of occasions, and it worked better than I could have possibly dreamed.  Both times we were on the winning team.  I think Scarlett understands the awkwardness of the situation just as well as I do.  We’re on a collision course, and I’m sure as that match becomes more emminent, things will get more tense between us, but until that time, there’s no reason we can’t be friends.

And it’s not like I missed a step in the ring, thankfully.  After losing the title, I beat Sophie Richards, teamed with Scarlett to beat Mika and Camilla, then won Ten Femme Chaos with Scarlett, Caroline, Valerie, and Kate (okay, actually Kate won 10FC, while I got isolated and had the ever living tar beaten out of me, but it worked out well in the long run!).  Then I teamed with the Brew again to beat the Rudos and Tara.  So at least I’m still getting results, which is fortunate.  Quite a few women seem to go on slumps after winning the FFW Championship, so I should be thankful I didn’t.

So now I’m officially over a year since I returned, and I still haven’t taken a fall to lose a match.  That’s a heck of an accomplishment, and one I’ve never done before, I’m proud of that.  But it’s kind of scary as well. I’m not invincible, and I never have been.  It can’t last forever.   How long?  Another year?  That’d be something else… heck, even six months?  Three months, at Unstoppable?  What a heartbreak that would be.  Next month at Relentless when I face Tara?  This Saturday on Breaking Point against Laura Steele?  How humiliating would THAT be?

Perish that thought!   No way in hell am I going to let that snot nosed sadistic idiot get the better of me.  She attacked Adam with a cattle prod during a Future Shock competition right after One Night Stand, and half the locker rooms wanted a crack at her ever since.  Misty got her chance (Laura ran away).  Undine got her chance (Laura ran away).  Lightning got her chance (Laura couldn’t run away).  With everyone else having their way with the little twit, I certainly can’t do anything less.

Besides, I have my own personal reasons for wanting to stick Laura Steele in the Banshee, and keep her there until every last shred of her pride shatters and she begs me to stop.

Honestly, though, I can’t wait until this week is over.  After nearly a year of hard work, and a lot of frustration, we’ve finally got North Marion ready and it’s opening Friday night.  Not just that, but FFW is holding its opening Future Shock night for the fourteenth season there, too, so we’re going to be on global television on opening night!  The amount of work to get ready is insane, although thankfully Terry and Cassie are handling most of it, and they’ve done a great job of making sure none of the preparations interrupt my training at the Storm Shelter.

But still, pressure is running high, and it’s not making it any easier that I’m not getting into Grand Forks until Saturday morning.  I don’t like travelling the day of the show, but honestly, to see so much of our time and effort pay off Friday night is just something I can’t miss.

Anyways, I-

===========
Thursday April 24, 2014
The Nest- Living Room
Indianapolis, Indiana
2:17 PM Local Time


“Mom, can I have a cookie?” 

Wendy Briese looked up, shutting her pen inside her journal to mark its place as her daughter bounded down the stairs and into the living room.  She smiled patiently, setting the journal on the end table. 

“Hey, Theresa.  Did you finish your school work?”

The seven (nearly eight!) year old shook her head.  “No, but I’m hungry.”

Wendy took a quick glance up at the clock, grimacing.  “You just had lunch barely an hour ago.”

Theresa shrugged, as if saying ‘yeah, so?’.  “I’m still hungry,” she repeated. 

Wendy sighed, rubbing her eyes.  “You can have an apple or an orange.  No cookies until your schoolwork is done.  ALL your schoolwork.”

“But it’s not even due til Monday!” Theresa whined, crossing her arms over her chest.

“Right, but your going with your dad to Salem this weekend, and I’m going to be out of town in Grand Forks.  And we have the big opening night tomorrow night.  So you’re going to be too distracted to do your work, and your father and I are going to be very busy.  So you need to get it finished today.  I told you this on Monday.”

“Yeah, but… you also let me go out and play, so, this is kind of your fault too!” Theresa countered, pouting just a little.

Wendy’s eyebrows rose just a bit.  “I gave you the freedom to manage your time as you saw fit.  Is it my fault that you chose not to use it wisely and productively?”

“Well, I um…  but…” Theresa was at a lost for words.  “It’s not fair!”

“But it is fair, Theresa,” Wendy responded, a slight smile on her face.  “Fair is when actions, or inactions, have appropriate consequences.  If you wait til the last day to do your schoolwork, you have to do it all at once, and then it’s even less fun than normal.  But if you don’t do it today… then you’d have to do it this weekend, when there’s so much going on.”  She paused, smiling.  “Unless, of course, you just don’t do it at all.”

“Really?  I think that would be the best,” Theresa said earnestly, happy to see an out.  “So I can really skip the homework for the week?”

“Sure!  I can’t really force you to do your schoolwork Theresa.  If you don’t want to do it… then don’t do it… so long as you’re prepared to deal with the consequences… which I certainly can and will impose.” 

Theresa seemed to grasp the point.  “I’ll… um… get an apple.  And then, get back to my multplication tables..”

“That’s a splendid idea.” Wendy agreed, and she smiled again, “In fact, get me one too, please.”

“Yes, mom,” the defeated seven year old sighed, trudging towards the kitchen. 

“And if I find out you took a cookie without my permission-”

“Yeah, consequences,” Theresa muttered, disappearing into the kitchen.

Wendy sighed, shaking her head, half amused, half irritated with the stubbornness of her daughter- obviously inherited from Terence, of course.  All in all, it had amazed her at how well the arrangement to Homeschool Theresa had worked out, and already Theresa was exceeding standards for the second grade level.  But her stubbornness and propensity to procrastinate did create some headaches and arguments.

Ah well.  Maybe she learned her lesson about putting things off til the last minute this time. 

Not likely.

Reaching over, she picked up her journal opening it and reading the last paragraph to remember her place.  She picked up the pen, tapped it against her chin, thinking of what to write next.

“AHHHH!  MOM!  MOM!   HELP!  HEEEEEELP!  MOMMY!!!!”

Both pen and journal went flying as Wendy leapt to her feet at the horrified scream of her daughter, followed by a loud thud, as if something heavy had fallen over.  Her heart leaping into her throat in alarm, Wendy sprinted towards the kitchen, flinging open the door- and stopping dead in her tracks at the sight before her, her throat going dry as she swallowed hard.

“Oh my God…” 

No comments:

Post a Comment