Saturday, June 8, 2013

EPISODE 214: The Headhunter, Part II

Monday June 3, 2013
Delmonico’s Restaurant
New York City, New York
8:44 PM Local Time


“Thank you for meeting with me,” Wendy said as she took a sip of her water, smiling across the table at her guest.  “I hope the short notice wasn’t inconvenient.”

Across from Wendy sat the timid young blond Personal Assistant of Todd Williams, Paige Davenport.  She was dressed in a button up blouse and knee length skirt, sipping her water as well. “It’s alright, Mrs. Thompson. My day is open conveniently, aside from picking up Mr. Williams’ dry cleaning, and Brittany's new video games.” replied Paige with a shrug, these pointless errands were quite the break from her usual hours of mindless paperwork.  

Wendy smiled graciously, looking around the restaurant.  Delmonico’s was as upscale a place she knew, extremely pricey, yet with as delicious as fine dining as she remembered.  It was certainly a nice change of pace from the hamburgers cooked on the RV’s grill the nice before.  She relished the rare opportunities she got to eat at a place so nice, but forced herself to keep her mind on her task. 

After all, she was here for business, not pleasure. 

“Ms. Davenport,” Wendy said lowly, leaning across the table, pausing just for a second to tug nervously at the bottle green dress she had brought for the occasion.  “How happy are you at Williams Enterprises?” 

The look Paige gave was a sudden look of shock, though she calmed quickly. Paige looked around as if expecting T-Will to appear out of nowhere, he seemed to do that at times. “I am...content.” she replied calmly, sipping at her water again. “Why do you ask?”

Wendy tried to give a reassuring smile, although she could tell the woman was quite nervous.  “I’m sorry.  I don’t mean to pry.” she apologized.  “It’s just... I was talking to Terrence, and we thought that maybe... from what we’ve heard... maybe a change of scenery would be nice for you.” 

Paige’s fingers unconsciously played with her napkin, she couldn’t even keep eye contact. “I’m fine, Mrs. Thompson. I know Mr. Williams can be a little difficult at times, but I’m perfectly happy with my position at Willcorp.” Paige’s words clearly a rehearsed speech. No doubt she’s had to repeat it numerous times as of late. 

Wendy bit her lip, accepting the words, although a spark of determination remained in her eyes.  “Okay, but would you at least be willing to hear me out?” 

Paige just shrugged. “I suppose it couldn’t hurt.” Replied Paige quietly. “Alright. Go ahead.” Added the young blonde, nervously stirring the ice in her water. 

“I suppose you and I have one thing in common,” Wendy said, reaching into her purse.  “We both seem to be working with men who are quite hard headed and stubborn, and so prone to make decisions regardless of common sense.”   She pulled out a photograph, and set it on the table in front of page.  “This is North Marion Speedway,” she said.  Paige looked down.  The picture was of two columns of cars, twenty rows deep, rolling down the front stretch, in front of brilliantly white walls, a full grandstand, with crisply manicured grass in the infield.  “Terrence just purchased the thing, and he has absolutely no idea what to do with it.  From everything I’ve heard, it sounds like you’re VERY adept at property management, and we thought that perhaps...”  her voice trailed off, and she nodded to the photograph. 

Paige blushed at the proposal. “You thought of ME for this?” She replied in a bit of shock. “I’m...a bit in shock to be honest. I was in advertising before Jenny hired me and T-Will promoted me. I don’t know the first thing about property management, I’m sure I learn but...” she stopped, sipping her water again. The blonde was excited, but still quite nervous.

Wendy smiled slightly.  “Well, we’ll certainly need your promotional abilities once we get it... um, fixed up,” she said.  “The problem is, well, that photo’s from back in 2007,” Wendy said, reaching into her purse again.  “This is a more... current print.”   She said putting a much more recent photograph of the now dilapidated track on top of the older picture. 

Paige’s eyes went wide. “Didn't he get the track inspected before purchasing?” asked the blonde as if it was the simplest of concepts. “That’s like property management 101.”

“Well, you’re already one step ahead of him, aren’t you, then?” Wendy replied with an exasperated sigh.  “In truth, I don’t think it’d have mattered, although he might have gotten the track for less money had he done it.  He’s gotten it in his head that he wants to own this thing, and have his own toy.  But the amount of work... it’s just too much, Paige.  Especially with me in wrestling, and Terrence still driving.  We need someone to look after it, and make sure what needs to be done gets done.  Do you think you could be that someone?” 

Paige took a moment to think as she eyed the photo again, letting out a sigh.  “I’m sorry Mrs. Thompson, I’d like to help you but I’m not the person for the job.” she said softly. Paige’s words said no, but her eyes screamed something else entirely. 

Wendy grimaced, chewing on her lip.  She could see the uneasiness, even fear in her guest’s eyes, but she didn’t want to poke too hard, less she force Paige to completely curl up into herself.  “I’m sorry to hear you say that, Ms. Davenport,” she said, sounding disappointed.  “I know there would be challenges, especially considering the state the track is in... but I also know you’d be working far less hours than you are now, and I think you’d be making quite a bit more than you were with Willcorp.”

She reached into her purse for a third time, and pulled out a card.  “Here’s my number, Paige.  If you change your mind, or have any questions, or just need to talk, please give me a call, okay?” 

Paige nodded and took the card, chewing her bottom lip briefly as she eyed the number again. The young Personal Assistant slipped the card into her purse, hands shaking a little. Oh how she wanted to say yes, to SCREAM yes...but she just couldn’t. The risk was too great. “I’ll hang onto it. And I appreciate you coming to me about this, I know you don’t exactly get along with my employer at the best of times.”

“Well, that’s why I wondered if you could use a change.  You shouldn’t have to have gone through what you have in the last few months.  I have SEVERE problems with people who drag unwilling participants into this business, that’s how people get hurt.”  She smiled amiably.  “Anyways, you should look at the menu.  There’s a lot of great stuff on here- I’ve heard the risotto is to DIE for.”

The two sat in silence for several minutes, with Wendy staring at her menu, trying to decide between the Crisped Red Snapper or the Chicken A La Keene.  A shadow fell over the table, and Wendy looked up.  “I’m sorry, I think we’re going to need another minute or so to de....” her voice trailed off.  It wasn’t the waiter that was standing over them. 

It was Todd Williams.  And he did not look happy in the slightest. 

Todd offered a smirk as he sat down at the table. “Care if I join you two? Don’t answer that I know you all love me. Seems like a nice restaurant I personally could have gone for Carmine’s or Virgil’s BBQ but I guess this will do...” Todd took Paige’s glass and took a sip from it as he looked directly into Wendy’s eyes. “So tell me Wendy. What brings you to New York? There a reason you have my Personal ASSistant in a restaurant alone?”

Wendy glanced over, and saw the absolute terror in Paige’s eyes, and felt her own anger and dread rising, although she fought hard to remain polite.  “I was just having a nice dinner with Ms. Davenport.  We were discussing some... matters.” 

“Oh matters...” Todd smirked as he stared over at Paige. “What kind of matters are we talking? You know Gwendolyn I can call you that right? If there are matters to be discussed you should take them up with me and NOT my personal assistant. Now that I am here feel free to talk. Unless you rather share what she discussed Paige.”  The blonde PA looked as if someone had a gun to the back of her head, she was sweating, her hands trembling and her eyes as wide as saucers. 

“S-she...Mrs. T-Thompson was j-just talking to me about a j-job offer, b-but I h-have declined it. So w-we were about t-to enjoy dinner.” Paige replied, just barely as she was stuttering almost constantly, absolutely terrified.

Todd quickly slammed the glass on the table, shattering it into pieces. He looked at Paige and quickly pushed away from the table, grabbing her violently by the arm. “Come on Paige, I think we are done here! She can’t offer you anything. LET’S GO NOW!!” Todd grabbed Paige, forcing her to get up and leading her away from the table.

And found himself face to face with Wendy, who had interposed herself between the angry man and the door. 

Her face was flushed in anger and embarrassment, and her arms were folded over her chest.  She was well aware the entire restaurant was staring at them, but she kept her voice deathly quiet.  “She’s not going anywhere.  Not with you, Todd.” 

Todd just scoffed as he confronted Wendy looking down into her eyes. “And what exactly ARE YOU GONNA DO?! Do you know who the hell i am Wendy? I make it a habit super kicking bitches in the face. Do you want to join that club Wendy? Because I have no problem doing so right in this restaurant just to prove a point.” Todd smirked before he slowly backed away instead staring at Paige. “As a matter of fact Ms Davenport take care of my light work please.” He smirked with an evil grin.  Paige stared at him like a deer in headlights yet again. “Mr. Williams, do you not think it would be bad to do something so rash in a public place? This isn’t a wrestling ring, laying a finger on Mrs. Thompson would easily end up with multiple criminal charges.”  The blonde points to the three visible cameras. “Not to mention if she wished to charge you, or I, or Willcorp as a whole for the assualt.” Paige reasoned, her voice quiet and warm. 

“There’s not going to be any fighting in here, Todd,” Wendy said quietly, pointing to the door.  “Just go, and let Ms. Davenport and I finish our meal in peace.” 

Paige sighed and stood by Todd’s side, regret practically screaming from her eyes. “I’m sorry, Mrs. Thompson. But I believe our evening is done. Thank you for the offer and inviting me out, but I think I...” she swallows and takes in a deep breath. “I think I should be going now.” 

“Paige...” Wendy’s voice trailed off, and for the first time, fear had crept into her voice.  She had no idea what Todd was going to do to the frightened woman once they were out of public view.  “Are you sure, Paige?  I can get you a cab, or some other way home.  I just don’t think you should-”

Todd smirked at Wendy, waving his finger at her. “Sorry Wendy... You do know what they say about dogs right? They shouldn’t bite the hand that feeds them. Come on Paige I think we are done here.” Todd blew a kiss to Wendy, winking at her as he grabbed Paige and walked towards the door.

Wendy watched them go helplessly, and sighed, as one by one, the other tables in the dining room turned their attention away from her back to their own business.  She glanced back at the table, sighing at the spilled water and shattered glass.  

The maitre’d was at her shoulder.  “Ma’am, I’m sorry, but you have been a great disturbance to the other guests, and...”  his voice trailed off as the redhead turned towards him, an absolutely murderous glare on her face.  He gulped and took a step back. 

But Wendy’s expression softened, and she only sighed, looking forlornly at the door, then back at the ruined table.  She grimaced bitterly.  “Yeah... I’ll go.”

No comments:

Post a Comment