Monday, February 4, 2013

EPISODE 199: What She Truly Loves

Tuesday August 28, 2012
Starbuck’s Coffee- Downtown Shop
Indianapolis, Indiana
9:21 PM Local Time


“They did a really good job,” Wendy Briese commented as she took a  sip of her cappuccino, finding the drink a bit too hot for her taste.  She tugged casually at her dress, a dark blue one that she’d bought just for tonight, her second session with Dr. Epstein.  The psychologist had taken her to the Indianapolis Municipal Theater’s production of The Glass Menagerie, and now they sat in a Starbucks just a block from the theater, talking it over.   “That girl who played Amanda did a phenomenal job.”

Dr. Epstein had dressed rather formally for the occasion, in a two piece suit now with the jacket unbuttoned as the wind gently blew it around him. Sitting on the table in front of him was a grape smoothie, which he stirred errantly with the tip of a straw. “I thought so too. I’ve seen a few incarnations of that play, film and live. And I’d say this one beat most of them. The last time I saw it was when I was in New York last year. They brought in a rather well known actor to do the directing, and he did an awesome job with it. Just goes to show that there is great talent in theater no matter where you go.”

“I know,” Wendy said, smiling.   “I actually did some work with the IMT myself, years ago.  I was in A Doll’s House, and Annie Get Your Gun.  It was a lot of fun,” she said as she took another sip of her drink.

“I even saw a production of the Homer’s Odyssey. And if ever there were a story that didn’t really lend itself well to theater, that’s it.” Epstein shook his head as he finished the stirring before finally tasting his drink. “Wendy, I know you had told me about growing up around this. How old were you when you first performed in front of people? Tell me about how it felt. I imagine nerve wracking would be one adjective to describe it.”

“I was six, and it was a small independent theater in New York, my mom knew the director, and i was Gretl in the Sound of Music.  And it was scary at first, and I was nervous, because I didn’t want to disappoint Mom and Dad... but then when everyone applauded, it was the greatest feeling in the world.”  She paused, and sighed.  “Of course, Dad said I was too wooden,” she finished, shrugging.

The doctor nodded his head as he listened to her, studying her facial expressions as she spoke. “Sound of Music is a bit difficult to start out with anyway. All the applause you heard made you feel on top of the world, and it can only take one person to pull all that away.” Shaking his head, he continued. “What do you feel was your best performance in theater? What play? How old were you?”

“I don’t know...” Wendy said, scratching her head.  “I’m really proud of A Doll’s House.  I was 25 then, right after I retired from wrestling for the first time.  And especially some of the plays I produced when I ran the MCTT.  I didn’t act in any of them, but just seeing everything come together and the looks on my kids faces was...”  she sighed.  “It’s the greatest feeling in the world.”

“I can imagine. As far as I can tell, you have had three great loves in your life. Your husband, of course. The theater and wrestling. You’ll have to pardon my ignorance as I don’t follow the sport terribly closely, but tell me. Is it a different feeling being in front of a crowd of fans in an arena as opposed to a theater? I’m going to assume there is a totally different kind of energy.” He added before enjoying a bit more of his smoothie.

“Its the same... and it’s different,” Wendy replied, laughing at her contradiction.  “I mean, both, fans cheering you are the greatest feeling in the world.  But in theater, you’re simply just trying to put on a good show.  In wrestling, well, you need to put on a good show AND win while doing it, so I’d say it’s a bit more challenging.  But yeah, the energy in wrestling’s a bit more intense, mainly because the suspense is that much more... unlike a play, nobody really truly knows the outcome of a match.”

“So in wrestling, it’s not just about how well you did during the match. If you lose, your skills are not appreciated as clearly?” Epstein was a bit of a novice when it came to the sport, taking a moment to process this before he continued. “So is it safe to say that the appreciation of the fans in arena can bring about more of a rush of excitement than say your typical theater crowd. Tell me about the best match of your career in wrestling. What made it so?”

“It was two out of three falls, for the world Cruiserweight Championship.  Me against Misty Xiao.  Misty... she kind of stole the title from me.  Won it by cheating, and every time I tried to get it back, something would happen, and she’d get off scot free.  She even got me disqualified once!  So finally, I asked for one more shot... and if I lost, I’d have to get on the microphone, and declare her the better wrestler, and never challenge for that title again.  And she threw EVERYTHING she had at me.  All her tricks.  And I manged to counter each and every single one of them, and get the win.”  she finished, not quite able to keep the pride out of her voice.

 That brought a bit of a smile to the doctor’s face as he gave her a little bit of light applause at her achievement. “Well good for you, I can tell how much it meant to you. Now I know you have given back to the theater by trying to do your own productions and whatnot. In what ways do you give back to the wrestling business?”

Wendy thought long and hard, and finally bowed her head.  “Nothing, really, I guess.  I mean, I guess you could say that I help by opposing those who I think degrade or disgrace the sport.  But that really doesnt’ HELP anyone, per se.  I don’t know.  I’ve actually been thinking about that a bit, myself.”

“That kind of surprises me, Wendy. You strike me as someone who likes to return gratitude. And the wrestling business seems to have brought you great happiness overall. You don’t do anything? Do you train new students? Do you give feedback? I’m sure there is something.”

Wendy nodded guiltily.  “I want to... but between me travelling, and Terry travelling, and watching Theresa, there never seems to be time.  And I know the road to hell is paved with good intentions.   I mean, I’ve agreed to help Lyn Dallins down at the All-Star Gym one day, but... I just never seem to be able to get down there.”

“Maybe now is the time to do that then. I mean if you really want to do it, make the time to do it. Even if it is just for a day, it will probably make a big impression on a bunch of students who may never get to meet you otherwise. Plus like we talked about, it’s a great way to give back to a business that you yourself admit has brought you many proud memories and moments.” He countered, glancing out the window for a moment after he spoke.

“Well, I suppose I could swing by to Tampa on my way to Phoenix next week,”  Wendy mused.  “You know... I think that would actually work!”  she exclaimed. 

“Of course. You know, Wendy, everytime you talk about this business, your face tends to just glow. And it does so with the theater too, but not in the same way. If you ask me, I don’t think you have anything to feel guilty about in no pleasing your father or heeding his wishes. Because as I told you before, it’s about finding what makes you happiest. And you’ve tried to leave the business, and ended up coming back to it. I think this...this is what you were born to do. What you were meant to do. And you have no reason to feel shame for following your own calling.”

Wendy blinked a couple of times, and broke into a small smile.  “Thank you,” she said.  “I always felt guilty about walking away from the MCCT, even after all that happened with it.  But you’re right.  Even with all the stresses and aggrivations that come with this business, I don’t think I’d be as happy doing anything else.”

“I’m positive. I don’t think you made a mistake. I think you are where you want to be, where you feel most fulfilled. Your father did not care for anyone’s wants but his own, that’s clear. What makes you happiest is what you are doing. You followed your dream, your true calling. And I can do nothing but admire you for that.”  He responded, flashing a smile after he said it.

“Thank you,” Wendy said again, looking down, and checking her watch.  “Oh, dear.  It’s getting late, and I promised Theresa I’d be home to tuck her in.  But you said something about wanting to come to one of my wrestling shows?”

“I do. I want to see you in your element, if that’s alright. I mean I can buy a DVD and watch it, but I’m pretty sure it isn’t exactly the same. So if you can arrange to get me a ticket or whatnot, I will repay you. I want to see you doing what you love most.” Epstein glanced down to his watch, noticing the time as well before regarding Wendy.

“Well, what would you prefer?   Next week when I defend my title in Phoenix?  Or New York City and the pay-per-view War Games match?”

“New York would be easiest, I have a full schedule next week, it’s easier for me to shuffle things further out.” He finished off the rest of his smoothie before tossing the cup in the nearest receptacle. “I want to see you in your element. And I look forward to it already.”

“Okay,”  Wendy said, standing up, and shaking Dr. Epstein’s hand.  “I’ll get you a ticket this week, and air travel to New York.  I look forward to seeing you there!”  With a nod and a smile from the psychologist,, Wendy walked out of the Starbucks.


=====
Tuesday September 4, 2012
The Nest- Living Room
Indianapolis, Indiana
5:48 PM Local Time


The scene opens up in the living room of The Nest, where Terrence Thompson is sitting on the couch, apparently watching ESPN, judging by the annoying sounds of four guys arguing over sports (Around the Horn, yo).  By the vacant expression on his face, it’s evident that the Mechanical Mayhem has gone into full on couch potato mode.  It’s also obvious that the usually tidy living room isn’t up to its usual snuff.  A couple open bags of potato chips sit on the couch, along with several soda cans on the end table (a few not on coasters- the horror).  From what little can be seen on the floor, several of Theresa’s toys are lying about, obviously not put away when she was finished.

Dude on Televison:  “Tim Tebow is the answer to all the Jet’s problems!”

Other Dude on Television: “NO!  TIM TEBOW IS THE ANTICHRIST AND WILL DEVOUR YOUR CHILDREN’S SOULS!”


In response to this spirited debate, Terrence simply digs his hand into the bag of potato chips, pulls out a handful, and starts munching, looking very much like a cow chewing its cud, instead of the highly successful auto racer/professional wrestler.  Although, to be fair, the two aren’t exactly mutually exclusive.  Anyways, at that moment, Wendy walks in, her head tilted to pin the cordless phone she’s on to her shoulder.

Wendy: “Terry, Ms. Savage wanted to know if you were going to be able to help with the field tri-...” 

Her voice trails off as she comes to realize what a disaster area her living room has become.  There’s a long pause, as Terrence looks at Wendy, clearly puzzled, but then shrugs and goes back to watching his show.  There’s a short pause, before Wendy speaks back into the phone.

Wendy: “You know what, Ms. Savage?  I’m going to have to call you back.  I’m very sorr.. yes.  Okay, bye.”  

With that, Wendy hangs up the phone, then glares at her husband, her arms on her hips, her foot tapping.  

Wendy: “Terry... what happened here?” 

For his part, Terrence shrugs. 

Terrence: “Pollaski and I were watching a movie, and well, Theresa was playing.  And then Theresa went to Elizabeth’s, and Pollaski went home.”

Wendy: “Without cleaning up.”

Terrence: “The ice cream truck was coming by.  I’ll have her do it when she gets home.”


Wendy sighs with exasperation.  

Wendy: “Terry, what are the rules?  Before she does anything else, she cleans up after herself.  This is because...”

Terrence: “Criminy, Wendy.  What do you want from me?  I’ve told you she’ll clean it up when she gets back.  Calm down...”


Yeah, *that’s* always a smart thing to say...

Wendy: “Look at this living room, Terrence!  I don’t see how you’d think I wouldn’t be annoyed by this.”

Terrence: “Well, yeah.  But I wasn’t expecting the Spanish Inquisition...”


*BAM!*

The sound would almost be the front door nearly being kicked off its hinges, and Wendy looks up, positively alarmed.  Her expression of alarm doesn’t subside one bit as her manager, daugther, and nanny (who, as usual, doesn’t look like she wants to be anywhere near here) troop into the room.  All of them are wearing long red robes, with a large cross around their necks.  Pollaski’s wearing a wide-brimmed hat.  There’s a slight pause, before Theresa steps forward, her arm pointed at her mother.

Theresa: “NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!”

There’s a long pause.  Terrence stares at his daughter with pride, while Theresa beams back.  Wendy, for her part, stares at the incoming trio, then looks over and seems to realize the camera’s there for the first time.  Facepalm.

Wendy: “Oh...my...God...”

Pollaski: “HERESY!  Using the Lord’s name in vain!  Theresa, administer the punishment.”


Pollaski hands Theresa a small Nerf bat, and she walks up to her mom, taking a quick swing before the No Surrender Champion can even react, and whacking her in the butt.

Wendy: “OW!  Theresa!”

Theresa: “I’m in character, mom!”

Wendy: “Yeah, well one more, and your character is suddenly going to be a little girl who’s grounded until her eleventh birthday.  Now, go run along, okay?” 


With an “awww!”, Theresa slinks out of the room, nerf bat still in hand.  Wendy sighs, and looks up to the sky, mouthing “why me?” before turning back to her compatriots.

Wendy: “Why are you guys even doing this?”

There’s a pause, as Pollaski turns to look expectantly at Cassie, who seemingly is the only one in the room (besides Wendy, of course) who’s lacking enthusiasm for this.  Growing impatient at the lack of response, Pollaski elbows Cassie in the side.  Shooting him a dirty look the pale blonde pulls out a scroll, and begins to read.

Cassie: (monotone level: 99) “You are hereby charged with the task of bringing the heretic Serafina Reynolds... aka ‘Cupcake’, to justice for crimes against the church, namely bearing witness to a false religion, and insulting and impugning ordained members of the clergy.”

There’s a very very long pause.  

Wendy: “You cannot possibly mean Trinity, can you?”

Pollaski: “Hey, you may not like her, but if history has taught me anything, you gotta play for the team you’re on.  She’s on Team Buddha, you both on are on Team Benedict.”

Wendy pauses, and glances at her husband, her mouth forming the words “Team Benedict?”  Terrence shrugs in return.  Wendy shakes her head, and looks back at her manager. 

Wendy: “But Trinity’s such a horrible, despicable, rotten excuse for a...”

Pollaski: “Yeah, but so was this guy...” 


He beckons to Cassie, who reluctantly holds up a picture of Cardinal Berard Law, the distaste on Wendy’s face is evident.

Pollaski: “And this guy...”

Ironically, Tomas de Torquemada, the most well-known Inquisitor

Pollaski: “And this guy!’

Terrence: “Tim Curry?” 


Pollaski looks at the picture, shaking his head.

Pollaski: “No.  Cardinal Richelieu.  Tim Curry just played him in the movie.”

Terrence: “Oh yeah!  I remember.  He was *AWESOME*”

Cassie: “Oh, Tell me about it.  I loved that movie.”

Pollaski: “Yeah.  Especially when Rebbeca de Mornay was gettin it on with Chris O’Donnell, and she-”

Wendy: “WHAT DOES ANY OF THIS HAVE TO DO WITH TRINITY?!”


Pollaski shrugs.  

Pollaski: “The point is, she may be a jerk, but she’s YOUR jerk.  You can’t hate on her.”

Wendy sighs, and runs her hand through her hair, clenching her teeth.

Wendy: “Okay, let me make this *VERY* clear.  Trinity... is not... on my *anything.*  She’s not a Catholic, she’s a charlatan false prophet who makes a *mockery* of what I believe in, and I am cannot *wait* until Sin and Sacrifice, when Serafina gets in there, and beats the ever-loving-heresy out of her.  And if Trinity so much as *THINKS* about wrecking this match on Saturday, she’s going to be dealing with a *LOT* more than Serafina, because I myself will beat her so hard her entire ORDER will feel it.”

Pollaski: “So, what you’re saying is that you’re going to...”


Pollaski reaches into the folds of his robes, and puts on a pair of sunglasses.

Pollaski: “Break her of her habit?’

Theresa (from somewhere in the house) “YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!”


Terrence is nearly in tears with pride in his daughter.  Wendy double-facepalms.

Wendy: “This isn’t even about any of that.  It’s about me and Serafina, facing off for the No Surrender championship.  Religion has NOTHING to do with it.”

Pollaski: “Actually, it kind of does.  I mean, dear God.  People might get annoyed by your moral high horse from time to time, but at least you don’t shove your religion down other people’s throats.”


Wendy glances at the camera, a pure “Is he serious?” expression on her face.

Wendy: “What the heck do you call this, then?”

Pollaski: “Delightfully high-brow parody and satire.”


Pollaski looks over at the camera and gives a cheesy grin and thumbs up, to the point that you, the viewer,, can almost hear a small “ding!”.  For her part, Wendy merely crosses her arms over her chest, and glares at her manager.  

Wendy: “Uh-hunh”

Pollaski: “The point is, most people know you’re a Catholic, but you don’t go around broadcasting it every single damned time you appear on camera.  When you say stuff, it’s kind of because its common sense.  ‘You shouldn’t beat someone over the head with a chair, because it’s just not a very nice thing to do.’  Not ‘You shouldn’t beat someone with a chair, because Mark 29:13 says-”

Wendy: “There’s only sixteen chapters in-”


Pollaski interreupts her with a wave of his hand. 

Pollaski: “You’re missing the point.  When Serafina talks, it’s like... ‘Oh, I don’t lie, because the fourth precinct tells me not to.’”

Wendy: “You mean precept?”

Pollaski: “Whatever.  The point is, Serafina can’t got two damn sentences without trying to blatantly remind us that she’s Buddhist, and a GOOD Buddhist at that.  It’s like she should just pop on a shirt that says “Lookee me, I’m Buddhist!”.  Although that would violate the seventh precept, which says to refrain from unnecessary adornments.  Incidentally, the seventh precept also says to refrain from attending shows and performances, which, I’m not sure what pro-wrestling is, but...”


There’s a long pause, as Wendy shoots a very annoyed look at her manager. 

Wendy: “I thought you liked Serafina.”

Pollaski: “Oh, I do.  I just think it’s kinda funny that after her being around for nearly eight months, her religion is still somehow her most defining characteristic.”

Wendy: “Well, she’s proud of her religion.  She’s proud of her faith, and she’s devout in it.  You can’t hold that against her.  I sure as heck don’t. In fact, I find it admirable.”

Pollaski: “You know, she’s not even supposed to accept gold or silver.”

Wendy: “Lucky for her, the No Surrender belt is titanium then.”


Pollaski punches his fist into his palm, an ‘egads, foiled’ expression on his face.

Wendy: “I’m sorry.”

She’s really not.

Pollaski: “Well, there’s also one other matter to be worried about.  You remember how a couple months ago, I alerted you to the problem of how merely facing you tends to turn normal human beings into seething pits of evil?”

Wendy: “I do.  And to the best of my knowledge, Desirae Kain still hasn’t gone and eaten her children yet.”

Pollaski: “No, but she’s on a six match losing streak, and is out injured as a result, which probably means things are getting a little tight in the Sensation household.  It’s only a matter of time before she Hansel and Gretl’s the kids, if you know what I mean." 


Judging by the ludicrous expression on Wendy’s face, she probably doesn’t know what much means at the moment.  At least where Pollaski’s concerned.

Wendy: “And what about Cara?  I mean, yeah, she followed up that by setting Raven on fire, but other than that, she’s been as kind, sweet, and caring as she’s always been.”

Pollaski has to cover his mouth to keep from bursting out laughing.  Evidently, he’s found out about the events at the All-Star Gym the previous week, while Wendy’s still in the dark, judging by her alarmed and confused expression. 

Wendy: “What?”

Pollaski: “Oh, oh, it’s nothing.  A...anyways.  So, we’re worried that Serafina might be heading down the same stretch.  So... just to warn you what might happen to her afterwards...


Pollaski beckons to poor Cassie, who’s basically stood there all this time like a human easel.  She adds the last picture.  It’s Akuma from Street Fighter.

Wendy: “Who the heck is that?” 

Terrence shrugs.

Terrence: “It’s the closest thing to a Buddhist demon we could find.”

Wendy gives another facepalm, clearly fighting the urge to scream. 

Wendy: “I hope to GOD Serafina isn’t watching this.   You’ve pretty much managed to say every offensive thing you could possibly think of about my opponent and her religion.”

Pollaski holds up a huge manilla envelope.

Pollaski: “Actually, I got plenty more!  You wanna hear about the Buddhist who walked into a-”

Wendy: “And all you’re doing is giving Serafina extra motivation!”

Terrence: “Actually, if she needs extra motivation to fight this match, she’s got no business being anywhere near that title.”


Short pause.

Wendy: “Okay, you have a point there.  But STILL...  how do you think I’d feel if people came around and bash Catholocism over and over again?”

Pollaski: “Actually, um, that does happen quite a bit.  You generally are remarkably calm about it.  So if Serafina gets butthurt about this, it just means not only do we finally have someone who’s more zealous and fanatic about something than you... we’ve got someone who’s more easily offended than you.  Hell, we might just have someone who’s more YOU than you!”


Wendy’s eyes narrow, and she again folds her arms across her chest.

Wendy: “I think we’re done here.”

Pollaski shrugs.

Pollaski:  “Alright.  But first... let’s DANCE!  Hit it, Terrence!”

Terrence picks up a remote, and hits play, and the music immediately begins to play, with Pollaski starting to dance.  It’s KC And the Sunshine Band.

Pollaski: “Shake shake shake!   Shake shake shake!  Shake your-”

Wendy immediately see’s what’s coming, and she dive’s for the remote to shut the music off.

Wendy: “I SAID WE’RE DONE!”

Luckily, she stops the music just in time, and Wendy ends up sprawled over her surprised husband’s lap, remote in hand while Pollaski (amused), and Cassie (clearly nonplussed) look on.  It only takes a minute for her to realize all hope of her dignity's been lost for now.

Wendy: (weakly)  "I think I'm going to go call back Theresa's teacher now..."

Terrence: "Yeah.  Good idea, hon."


And with that, we fade.

No comments:

Post a Comment