Wednesday, June 6, 2012

EPISODE 179: Climb Ev'ry Mountain

Sunday May 26, 2012
The Summit
Pike’s Peak Recreational Area
8:41 AM Local Time


The summit of Pike’s Peak is located about 70 miles south of Denver, 10 miles west of Colorado Springs.  It’s a dry, dusty place, hovering in the rain shadow of the Rocky Mountains despite it’s elevation.  It’s a rather nice day atop the easternmost “fourteener” in the United States as our scene fades up, Wendy Briese standing atop the northern side of the relatively flat summit.  Behind her is a rather large dropoff, giving a beautiful panorama to the lands below, where the rocky mountains abate to the dry Eastern Colorado highlands that eventually lead to the prairies of Kansas.  She’s wearing a black windbreaker over a pair of blue jeans, her flame colored hair flowing freely in the breeze.

“Beautiful, isn’t it?”

She grins, her voice just slightly raised due to being outdoors in the wind.

“Considering tonight is going to be such a huge night, I thought it’d be nice to start the day up here, atop Pike’s Peak.  After all, it’s always good to find a nice, calming place before such a big match, and, honestly, why would anyone come to Colorado and not take a morning or two to enjoy the scenery?”

She steps aside, pointing out to the north.

“You can see pretty far from here.  Colorado Springs is over there, down below.  But out there, you can just barely see it as that sliver of reflecting light, but that’s Denver, I’ll be there in just a few short hours.  And even further north.. I doubt you can see it, but Boulder’s up there.”

“You’re familiar with that place, aren’t you, Starla?  You should be, after all, you went to school there, at the University of Colorado,  where you earned your doctorate in record setting fashion.  I’m sure they’re proud of you, looking at you now.”


A small shrug.  

“Now, I know this was before your time, but how familliar are you with the 1990 Colorado Buffaloes?  They were one best football teams your alma mater ever fielded.  But they’re remembered most for their sixth game of the year, their Big Eight conference opener against the Missouri Tigers.”

“Colorado entered that game ranked twelfth, Missouri was unranked.  And yet, Missouri gave the Buffalos everything they could handle, and then some.  So with time running out, and Missouri leading 31-27, Colorado was driving for one, last final score.  And with time running out, they marched it to the goal line.  And there Missouri held them, for what would have been the biggest upset in school history.”

“Yet somehow, in the midst of all that chaos, a mistake was made, and somewhere they forgot to count a play.  So when Colorado spiked the ball to stop the clock on fourth down, everyone though it was third down.  Colorado scored on the next play, the final play of the game... on fifth down.  Won 33-31.  I’m sure everyone can understand the controversy that arose from such a game, especially as Colorado would go on to win the National Championship in it’s wake.”


Considering Wendy knows this story, three guesses who Colorado beat to win the National Championship.

“Except Bill McCarthy, the Colorado coach, wouldn’t hear any of it.  He lambasted Missouri- HIS alma mater, mind you- for complaining, taking specific umbrage with the condition of the field.  He was completely unapologetic, and refused to admit there was any controversy surrounding the game. And he remained defiant for YEARS, destroying any relationship he had with the school where he got his start.”

Wendy chuckles.  

“Apparently psychiatry wasn’t the only thing you learned at CU, Starla.  Because this is all seeming a little bit familiar right now.  A contest ends in controversy, and the victor is unapologetic to the point of insufferability, even when all evidence points to them being in the wrong.  But at least with the Buffaloes, it was an honest mistake, and not a desperate ploy by the husband to steal a win.”

“But there you made your own mistake, Starla.  Because I don’t think it ever ocurred to you that maybe so much of this controversy would have been muted if you and Alex had just demonstrated a little bit of patience.”


Wendy pauses, then takes a deep breath, as if reluctant to say what she’s going to say.

“The fact is, Starla... you had that Sweet Sedation on tight.  And I can’t stand here and honestly tell you that it was a guarantee I would have broken out of it.  I’m NOT saying I’d have succumbed to it- I had quite a bit of fight left in me.  But when you denied me my chance to break out, you also denied yourself that decisive, definitive moment.  Because like so many people who use the rules to only suit themselves, you subscribed to age old adage- when in doubt, make it ambiguous as possible.”

“And that’s exactly what you did.  Claimed I verbally submitted, even though I didn’t.  I haven’t tapped out in a decade, Starla, and you blew your chance at LEGITIMATELY making that happen because you didn’t like what was going to happen had you failed.  Because you knew darn well what awaited you if I had broken out.”

“Shows how much confidence you really have in yourself, doesn’t it?”


Wendy laughs, although it’s obviously she’s hardly happy about the subject she’s talking about.  

“It doesn’t really matter though.  Tapping out or not, this rematch would still happen.  And now your husband is off the board, all your stunt served was to give yourself a two month reign with that belt, and make me even more annoyed over losing it than I already would have been.”

“Because the fact is, I messed up too that night.  But at least mine taught me a lesson I can learn from going into this match.  Because I made the mistake of thinking that you think the same way I do.  That any sane person would do.  Then again maybe it’s just you thinking on a higher level.  After all YOU have the doctorate, and I have an associates from IUPUI.


A small self-defacing smile.

“When I had you in that hold, and you were... *ahem* ‘Rallying your fans’.  I was aghast.  There you were, screaming in pain, pounding the mat, begging for me to stop hurting you, and your husband, ignored it.  What kind of man, what kind of HUSBAND, would see his wife screaming in agony, begging for mercy, and casually turn and check a turnbuckle pad?”

“The kind of husband wanted me to do exactly what I did.  Break the hold, and confront him, giving you time to recover.”

“I should have kept you in that Banshee.  I should have listened as your joints popped out of their sockets, as your tendons broke and snapped up like a broken window shade, as your muscles tore away from your bones.  And if your husband was content to just stand there, while his own wife had her career, her own body torn apart before his eyes, well, on his own head be it.”  


Wendy’s eyes narrow, and her voice gets quieter.

“My biggest mistake was showing you compassion when none was warranted.  That is a mistake that will not be duplicated.  I don’t care how many times you tap, scream, beg, plea, whatever.  I’ll release that hold when the bell rings and the referee tells me to stop, and not a second sooner.”

“My error’s led to a frustrating couple of months, that’s for sure.  Yet again, I have been saddled with that ‘choke artist’ mantra.  Someone who can’t win the big match, when everything is on the line.  Someone who hides behind her virtue as a cover for her failures.  I mean, when Jo McFarlane of all people starts wondering when you’re going to live up to your potential...”


Wendy bursts out laughing, then takes a deep breath.

“And that’s why I punched you at Velocity, Starla.  I’d LOVE to pretend that it was this big comeuppance, a revenge play.  That it was finally you getting what you deserved.  But it wasn’t.  That was never going to happen until a night like tonight, when I could beat you in the ring, take your title, and defeat you once and for all.  What happened at Velocity was simply a moment borne of anger and frustration.  I was originally just going to come out and tell you to shut up, to set the record straight.  But at some point, I realized it wouldn’t do a darn bit of good.  So I drove my right fist into your jaw.”

“I wish I could say I regret it.  But I don’t.  Probably because for everything I’ve said over the past few months about you, that was probably the one thing you actually understood.  Actions do speak louder than words, after all.”

“Oh yes, add it to the ever-growing list of moments that indicate I’m a hypocrite.  ` That the White Knight isn’t who she claims she is.”


Another laugh, although this one has a hint of bitterness tinged to it.

“It’s a shame that I have to keep repeating it.  But people apparently only listen to me when it suits them.  I’ve never claimed to be perfect, and I know I’m far from it.  I’m emotional, I’m hot headed.  Sometimes I’m a little quick to jump to conclusions.  And God knows I certainly can be a little gullible now and then.”

“I never came up with the White Knight, and I forget who here did, but I’m pretty sure it was originally meant sarcastically.  But yeah, it’s a fun little label, and it’s great to stick on T-shirts and bumper stickers, and sell as merchandise, and I hope that the fans recognize the saying for what it is- a great marketing idea someone came up with.  But I hate that it somehow paints me as this two-dimensional person.  Where the only line on my internal programming is ‘What would a goody goody twoshoes do?’”

“I know about shades of gray, guys.  More than you’d think.  I’m not completely good.  I’ve done some things in my life that I’m not proud of, and I’m proud of somethings I perhaps shouldn’t be.  And I know that no one’s completely bad.  Heck, even Samantha Star, who I certainly have no love for, has been very active with charity work, including the implementation of the awesome Byte This shows.  She has her virtues just as much as I have my flaws.”

“And that’s why it’s so hilarious that my critics are so eager to view ME in black and white.  You’re one of the worst in that regard, Starla... but somehow you’ve managed to spectacularily reverse the colors.  I’d love to think you’re doing it for  the sake of being ironic.  But in reality, it just makes a great soundbite.  After all, so many people are quick to play that card.  You certainly have.  Jo has.  Stephanie Sullivan has.  I suppose I should just let it stop bothering me and get used to it.”

“Because I’m hardly the only one who gets viewed in that prism.  Namely, one other woman seems to be caught up in the same trap, and she’s had about as much luck breaking out of it as I have.  You know who I’m talking about, don’t you, Starla?  Just like us, she’s got red hair.  Just like you, she’s from the south.  Unlike you, I admire her greatly.”


Wendy breaks out into a smile.

“Scarlett Kincaid”

“I read Pollaski’s preview article just like everyone else, Starla.  And I certainly read your piece, previewing the Kincaid versus Foxworth cage match.  And I couldn’t help but find it, well.. funny actually.  Because you’re so quick to condemn Scarlett’s title win, and for what reasons?  Because a high-ranking executive in our company inserted a referee who favored her over her opponent?  Because the match went sour due to foul play, and ended in controversy centered around that exact same official?”

“Golly, gee... that doesn’t sound familiar at all, does it?”


Wendy mock-gasps.

“It’s absolutely hilarious that Scarlett’s victory a year ago was such a travesty of justice in your eyes, considering your own circumstances.  You want to talk about hypocrisy?  Of course, there are SOME differences.  After all, Scarlett never asked for Anastacia to be added to that match, and after seeing what that woman’s like in SVW, I can’t blame her.  And Scarlett at least had the decency to recognize the controversy she had been engulfed in.  Too much so, I think.  Remember, she climbed that cell in the Elimination Chamber to prove a point- that’s how affected she was by the whispers.  It’s certainly a lot more honest than the defiant mantra you've taken to chanting, as if you say it enough sooner or later it'll just magically come true.”

“But you’re jealous of Scarlett, aren’t you?  You conspired against her in that first Evolution Championship match, set her up as a patsy for your own sick whims.  And yet, you’ve been forced to watch as she’s overcome EVERYTHING.  That made you sick to watch, didn’t it?  The knowledge that there’s some people that are just going to keep getting up, no matter how many times they’re stomped on?  You can knock her all you want for losing in that Elimination Chamber, and to Stacey, but even you have to give her this.  At least she got there.”

“But even more than you being jealous, I think you’re afraid.  It took every last bit of treachery you had to ‘beat’ me the first time, and now you have to do it all over again, in far more neutral circumstances.  For two month’s, I’ve been waiting for tonight, Starla.  For the chance to take back what is rightfully mine.  You knew that I’d be coming back, wiser, and a lot more angry.  Sometimes, I wonder if you begged Ms. Star to make ANOTHER title in the hopes that I would go after it instead.  After all, it worked the first time, didn’t it?”


Wendy laughs, and brushes a loose strand of hair out of her face.

“Don’t be ashamed, Starla.  Fear is a natural thing.  Heck, a little part of me is afraid for tonight too.  This is a match I can’t afford to lose, and I tremble to think of the consequences for doing so.  Not after I’ve spent two month’s gnashing my teeth in anticipation for it.  Not after kicking myself time and time again for falling for your trap the last time.  I’m a better wrestler than you, and I’m a better submissionist.  That’s something I know is true.  But... sometimes... things happen.”

Wendy sighs, and looks up at the sky, taking a deep breath berfore continuing.

“Well, ask not for small challenges, right?”

She takes a few steps, gesturing for the camera to rotate with her, showing the parking lot and visitor’s center.

“Pike’s Peak is 14,115 feet high.  That’s almost as high as mountains such as Mount Ranier, Mount Shasta, and the Matterhorn.  And yet, to climb one of those mountains, it’s an accomplishment.  Something to truly be proud of.  To get up here isn’t.  And it’s obvious why.”

“The view sure is nice, but there’s no challenge in getting to the top of Pike’s Peak.  Heck, there’s a paved road, anyone can do it.  I’ve been climbing Pike’s Peak my entire career.  Getting lots of shiny belts, that were supposedly accomplishments, but the challenge to obtain them... and to hold them... just wasn’t there.”

“That’s why I’m so glad I came to FFW.  The mountains are tougher to climb, more of an accomplishment to summit.  But those hard peaks can get a little nasty at times.  You can be as good as a climber as you want, but when a freak blizzard sets in, or the serrac hanging over your head decides to give way... it doesn’t matter how good you are.  Things happen.”

“Luckily, the allusion ends there.  Failure in a wrestling ring seldom leads to fatality, which Is a good thing for me!  But it also means that I’m not moving back down this mountain, no matter how treacherous it might get.  Whatever storm comes, I will weather it.  Whatever falls on my head, I’m going to push through, and keep climbing.”


Wendy smiles, as she takes a step forward to the camera.

“So go ahead, Starla.  Feed me another wall of words.  Say all the mean and nasty things you want.  Give us whatever warped perspective you think of that says that I’m a phony, or whatever other fun words you can come up with.  It’s something you’re good at, and I’m sure you’re really really proud of.  Cause then at least you’re better than most of us at SOMETHING.”

“But you understand as much as I do- we’re both out of excuses here.  There’s no Samantha or Adonis to help you this time, and all I’ve gotten from Cody is an assurance that this match will be fair.  So that’s it.  You and me, make the other one tap to win.  And I’ve already done it once, so I know what it’ll take.  The only thing you know is that it’ll take a hell of a lot more than you gave me the first time around.”

“You haven’t competed since Chaos Theory, Starla.  I hope you used that time wisely, and rested up.  Trained real hard.  Prepared for everything.  Because I warned you things weren’t going to come cheap.  I warned you they weren’t going to come easy.  There’s no road to the top this time, so you better start climbing.  Because I’m coming, and when I finally catch you.”


Wendy looks over her shoulder, out at the valley one last time, then turns back to the camera.

“It’s going to be a long way down”

Wendy turns and walks away, and the scene fades.

No comments:

Post a Comment