Thursday, July 15, 2010

DEFIANCE PODCAST #1- Twister vs. Angel of Death

Sunday June 20, 2010
The Nest- Master Bedroom
Indianapolis, Indiana
9:10 AM Central Daylight Time


Already a week had passed since Summer Games, and Terrence Thompson was not over it. In what was his fourth and ultimately final chance, he yet again choked in the first round, this time by taking a cloud of chalk dust to the eyes, blinding him, and enabling that son of a bitch Zortalk to finish him off . Less than two hours later, the World Wrestling Alliance was dissolved.

The End.

For the prideful “Twister,” it was hardly a satisfying conclusion to the alliance he had made his name and career in. He had came back to wrestling with dreams of making a tremendous impact, of vaulting himself back up the rankings, headlining the big shows, even wrapping that World Title around his waist one last time. Instead, he spent the biggest match in Alliance history in the medical room, flushing out his eyes.

It was the first thing he had thought of every morning for the past six days, and today was no exception.

The one upside to the conclusion of Summer Games was that his wife’s self-imposed seperation from him had ended, and he at least got to spend the last six nights sleeping next to her. But not waking up, he realized, as he discovered Wendy no longer shared his bed. A quick glance at the clock gave him a reason- Wendy considered waking up at seven sleeping in. She likely had been up for at least a couple hours.

Oh well, better get out of bed. Today, they were driving back up to Valparaiso for another episode of PWX Adrenaline, where they would get to squash two of the worst tag teams in wrestling history.

Whoop-de-doo.

Strecthing, and scratching in a few rather particular areas under his basketball shorts, Terrence descended the staircase, heading into the kitchen. Sure enough, Wendy was already cleaning up after Theresa’s breakfast, and she gave her husband a smile as he trudged into the room.

“Morning, sleepyhead,” the young woman said, wiping off the table with a cloth, and tossing the cloth into the sink. “You sleep alright?”

“Never better,” Terrence lied, as he plopped down into a chair. “What’s this?” he asked, grabbing a manilla envelope off the table.

“Oh, Pollaski left that for you an hour ago,” Wendy said, pulling a box of Frosted Flakes from the cupboard and setting it on the table. “He said you’d know what it is.”

Given the expression on Terrence’s face, he obviously did NOT know what it was... at least until he opened it. “Oh, good!” Terrence exclaimed as he examined the contents.

“What?” Wendy asked, suddenly curious

Terrence paused, looking at the redhead, not entirely sure how she would take the news. Finally, he slid the envelope across the table, and Wendy picked it up, and perused the documents within.

“This is an application for Defiance,” Wendy said accusingly, looking up from the papers.

Terrence nodded grimly. He had a feeling Wendy, who had spent the last two months vowing Defiance’s destruction, was going to take this wrong. “Two, actually,” he finally said. “There’s one for you, too”

Wendy looked closer at the documents, and realized there in fact was one for her as well. Wendy set the papers on the table, and looked sternly at her husband. “What’s wrong with PWX?” she finally asked quietly.

“Nothing, really,” Terrence replied, shrugging. “But look at the roster Defiance carries now that the Alliance is gone. All the top stars have migrated there. Not to mention they just got a national television deal. That place is going to be a hotbed, and I think it’s worth checking out to see what they have to offer.”

Wendy stood silently, for just a second, then picked up one of the applications and tore it in half.

“I’m hoping that was yours,” Terrence said, not entirely surprised by Wendy’s actions.

“It was,” Wendy confirmed. “Terry, if you want to go to Defiance, that’s fine. I’ll support you one-hundred percent. But there’s absolutely no way I will have Eric Dane as my boss.”

Terrence nodded. “It’s not exactly cut in stone, you know. We’ll see what the offer is.”

“Dane might not even want you,” Wendy said, unable to keep the hopeful expression completely from her face.

“He will,” Terrence said firmly. “Whatever else Eric Dane is, he’s a hell of a businessman. And he knows that I put asses in the seats. He may not make me an acceptable offer, but he won’t be refusing me outright.”

Wendy’s face fell almost imperceptibly at Terrence’s logic, but she nodded quietly. “I hope you get a good one then,”

Terrence knew she was lying, but he smiled in apprecation at her attempt at supporting him. “Just be ready to spend July 4th in Las Vegas.”

“Why’s that?” Wendy asked quizically.

Terrence smiled. “Because I think I”m going to be delivering my application to Eric Dane in person.”
=================================================


Tuesday July 13, 2010
The Nest- Living Room
Indianapolis, Indiana
3:12 PM Local Time


[The Nest. The lovely two-story suburban home with a big backyard and a deck with a jacuzzi, situated in the northwestern corner of Indianapolis. So nicknamed because it’s where the WhirlyBirdz live. That’s ALMOST clever, right?]

[Terrence Thompson, one half of those WhirlyBirdz, and Defiance’s newest acquisition, is sitting on the couch, clad in a faded Indianapolis Motor Speedway T-shirt that looks like it’s been around longer than the actual track. The camera seems to be set on a tripod about five feet away.]

Twister- “So how many of you actually ever thought you would ever be seeing Terrence Thompson in a Defiance ring again?”

[Short, cheesy grin at the camera, then he slouches back on the couch.]

Twister- “I thought that was actually pretty fitting. Last time I was in a Defiance ring, I was beating the hell out of pretty much the exact same people. Only this time, Kai Lewis and his Truly Untouchables weren’t around to save their ass.”

[A slow chuckle from the Mechanical Mayhem as he remembers the “oh shit!” expression on Greer’s face as he slid into the ring.]

Twister- “Now, I’d like to pretend that I had that all planned out for months. You know, some master concoction of the mind that finally enabled me to get the last word in on Greer, Heidi and the others. But I’d be lying. The fact is, I was in the area.”

[Small shrug]

Twister- “I had just met with Dane before the show to finalize the terms on my Defiance contract, and I was walking around backstage to get a feel for how things worked around here. But I looked out at the arena, and I saw a good man, Dusty Griffith, getting the living shit beat out of him, and not a damned person running in there to help. I never got to work with the Boise Bronco, but I’ve heard enough about the guy to know that the man just didn’t deserve that. So I was just doing what needs to be done. I will say the fact that I got to rip Stevie Greer a new one was somewhat of a bonus.”

[Now Terrence breaks out into open laughter.]

Twister- “Although it was nowhere NEAR as awesome as the Sopranomaker my wife gave to him at Summer Games.”

[Terrence stops laughing with another cheesy grin, then settles back into the couch.]

Twister- “Honestly, you can call it what you want. Revenge. Me trying to make an impact. Personally, it just felt like the right thing to do. But whatever you want to make of it, the Mechanical Mayhem has signed his Defiance contract. I suppose that me willingly joining Eric Dane’s club settles matters between us, at least for now. Although the bastard did insist on me picking up the deductible for that incident with the limo last March.”

[A bit of a grimace from Terrence. Probably because he was hoping Eric had forgotten about that.]

Twister- “But I’ll make one thing clear. Despite my actions last week, I’m not here to settle old grudges. I’m not here to take revenge for what happened to the Alliance. I’m here because this is now the damned finest wrestling company in the world today, and with the new television contract from ESEN, this place is going to skyrocket into a worldwide phenomenon the likes that have never been seen. Not only do I want a piece of that pie, I want the biggest fucking slice I can cut off.”

[Smirk]

Twister- “This is the begining of a beautiful symbiotic relationship. If I want to climb to the top of this business, I need to be in Defiance. And if Eric Dane wants to truly turn his company into an icon for this sport, he’ needs me. Because for all the talent Defiance has, there isn’t a single person on this roster who can make the world sit up and take notice. Who else is there? Cancer Jiles is too unlikeable. Boston Bancroft is too full of himself, and while Aye-Vee is one hell of a wrestler, the fact is he’s just too polarizing to bring wrestling fans around the world together. I CAN be that guy. I WILL be that guy.”

[Twistermania’s about to run wild?]

Twister- “It all starts next week, in the Kennel. Home of the Gonzaga Bulldogs. One of the loudest, rowdiest arenas in the country, and I guarantee you, by the end of my match, every one of the six-thousand fans in the seats will be screaming their throats raw for more. And do you think they’ll be screaming for the Angel of Death, the president of the Official Defiance Emo-Goth Club? Hardly.”

[Another short chuckle.]

Twister- “Nothing like a surly, humorless old-timer to make your debut against. I’ll credit Aye-Oh-Dee’s experience, thirteen years is a long time to be spending in the ring, and for his size, the man is a tough little bastard. But this isn’t exactly my first rodeo, either. And I’m bigger, stronger, and more talented to boot. Still, it should be a hell of a match. Angel’s kamikaze style serves him well, and I know damn well if I overlook him, it’s going to be a short night for me.”

[Shrug]

Twister- “But that won’t be happening. The Angel of Death can struggle all he wants. Hell, he can even bring his creepy little wife down to the ring with him. The result will be the same: him lying on the ground in pain, trying to figure out which part of his body he should clutch in agony first, while I stand over him, the refereee raising my victorious hand into the air.”

[Terrence pauses for just a second, looking to the side of the camera at something. He nods quickly, then turns back to the camera.]

Twister- “Gentlemen, set your Ti-Vo’s, and brush up on your YouTube uploading skills. Because next Sunday, July Twenty-Fifth, a new era in Defiance begins. Because the man that will lead this company into the second half of twenty-ten and beyond has arrived, and what happened in Las Vegas is just the beginning. Angel, you can struggle all you want, but you won’t be stopping the Mechanical Mayhem.”

[One final smirk as the camera begins to fade.]

Twister- “No one can.”

No comments:

Post a Comment